Constant Speed Propeller Question

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
So I had an oil leak in the 182RG prop, so we sent it in to get checked out. So in addition to resealing the assembly they found that the piston had worn past spec. Turns out the hole in the center of the piston had worn out and was letting poil pass through. It appears from the wear marks that it was cocked slightly. The top and bottom show wear marks 180 degrees opposite.

What concerns me is that the prop had only 810 since new from McCauley. Is this at all common?

Not in my experience with the 2 blade Mac Cauley on the R182. Usually an oil leak is from the seals getting hard with age.

I just got my 3 blade McCauley back from the shop with almost the same identical hours on it. Same plane R182. The seals started to leak. Fortunately mine had no wear and all ways good accept the seals.

It appears from the wear marks that [the piston] was cocked slightly. The top and bottom show wear marks 180 degrees opposite.
Sounds like the spring was badly manufactured and putting cocking forces on the piston. Or the propeller blades were not pitch-synchronized well, with one blade exerting more resistance back to the piston. Those are just guesses, and a McCauley tech rep would have much more accurate answers for you. If they will admit to the possibility of manufacturing errors, that is...

Back