Constant speed prop transition to cruise

I don't do a lot of knob pushing/pulling.

Takeoff: Full forward on both. Reduce in climb as required by POH- prop then throttle.....wait is the other way round....(does it really matter????)
Cruise: Reduce RPM if required, after speed stabilizes, reduce throttle if required (usually not depending upon altitude)
Descent: reduce throttle until at bottom of green arc. RPM begins to go forward
Pattern & Again Short Final, during GUMPS: Full forward on Blue knob
Last I knew you were flying a C-172S, which doesn't have a "blue knob", only red and black (throttle and mixture). You might want to specify what airplane it is you were flying with that c/s prop so we can put your statement in context. As I said, how you operate the prop is not "standard" for all c/s prop installations -- you have to tailor your manipulation of the engine controls to that aircraft's characteristics.

The Pireps at MAPA, the Mooney test pilot says the way Mooneys are meant to be flown is prop full forward takeoff to landing, also throttle full takeoff to descent, leaned during cruise.

Agree with Dave that leaving the prop full forward does nothing but make extra noise.

I do leave the throttle wide open from takeoff to descent, but I pull the prop back to 2500 once I reach about 500 AGL. 2400 or 2500 in cruise is good for me. M20J

I climb with the prop at 2400 RPM max. I drop MP from 31" max to 25" and maintain it there during climb as it has a manual wastegate turbo. I climb at 105 KIAS for cooling in the summer which gets me ~500 fpm all the way up at MTOW and keeps my hog of an engine (Lyc. O-540) cool - or really it keeps my oil cool - CHT is not a problem as far as I can tell with my dumb OEM CHT probe & gauge.

Transitioning to cruise is easy. I leave everything pretty much where it was during climb, but I reduce MP to 24" (max 25") and level off. I usually leave cowl flaps full open for a little while to cool off a bit (summer), then close them to 1/2 open in summer months or closed in winter. I fly at high cruise unless I am solo bc pax just want to get there. And when my pax include my kids.. so do I! :D

Last I knew you were flying a C-172S, which doesn't have a "blue knob", only red and black (throttle and mixture). You might want to specify what airplane it is you were flying with that c/s prop so we can put your statement in context. As I said, how you operate the prop is not "standard" for all c/s prop installations -- you have to tailor your manipulation of the engine controls to that aircraft's characteristics.

Noted.
Occassionally I get to play with more buttons, knobs, switches, levers and blinking lights.

In the 172RG, cruise climb is 25"/2500 RPM. When at cruise I'll dial back to 20"/2300 if I'm just nosing around, or go to the performance charts if I'm going someplace.

The Pireps at MAPA, the Mooney test pilot says the way Mooneys are meant to be flown is prop full forward takeoff to landing, also throttle full takeoff to descent, leaned during cruise.

Huh. The ones I read generally recommend WOT/2500 RPM, or wherever te engine runs smoothest.

I tailor mine by the performance charts per altitude. 3000' = 23/2300; 4000-6500 = 22/2400 or 21/2500; much higher is almost WOT and 2500. The "almost WOT" is because I want to cock the throttle body enough to create turbulent flow inside the carb, and hopefully achieve smaller, more uniform fuel atomization. Works for me . . .

Back