Considering flying Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Well here's another long flight for me and my 182...

A buddy, PPL and IR, works with a group that rehabilitates injured birds of prey and then relocates the ones who can't fly again to various places. He e-mailed me and asked if I would be willing to fly an Osprey from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale with him in my plane and I said sure. Figure last weekend in October.

The only part of the route that is pretty much set is the end - I want to go from KSSI to KFXE via V3 just offshore. Otherwise, keep the legs limited to 3 hours and I'm pretty much open to suggestions of where is good to stop on the way.

Since my buddy is IR we can and will file IFR (/A). I will go foggled to build up the simulated IR time since I'll have a safety pilot.

Tips on where to go/avoid would be appreciated.

Only thing I'll say is that unless your buddy is also a CFI-IA, I recommend you don't go into the goo that way, and maybe not even file IFR. There's a lot which can go wrong in the goo which someone who is not trained to evaluate pilot performance, decide when intervention is necessary, and intervene safely, all from the right seat with a cross-cockpit instrument scan, may not be able to handle safely.

So this is like Pilot n Paws? Where you donate your time?

Only thing I'll say is that unless your buddy is also a CFI-IA, I recommend you don't go into the goo that way, and maybe not even file IFR. There's a lot which can go wrong in the goo which someone who is not trained to evaluate pilot performance, decide when intervention is necessary, and intervene safely, all from the right seat with a cross-cockpit instrument scan, may not be able to handle safely.

Where did he say he'd launch if the weather wasn't VMC? He said he would take a long XC with goggles and a Safety Pilot. No mention of weather planning in his post.

Seems like a good way to get an instrument workout and still get somewhere, to me. Filing also seems reasonable, just because they can. Might as well be in the system.

If you were just warning about maybe not launching IMC, I can see that. Might be insurance issues if the IR PIC is in the right seat in some policies, too.

I've done a lot of flying into KOPF lately. I think flying into the Miami ft lauderdale area IFR is a great idea for practice and experience. There's plenty going on but ATC is not as fast paced as say NYC. They'll work with you just fine.

I'm at FXE looking out a hangar door as I type this. It's just not busy at all. Do it.

Spirit Airlines is probably gonna be your best bet.

Probably not. OP could get his $10 or whatever ticket but they'd charge a $1000 fee for the osprey. (Spirit's business model is not my cup of tea. )

KFXE is a good choice. Visit the Banyan Pilot Shop, eat at the Jet Café. Visit me in Hangar 46B.

Back