Considering flying cross county (OH to CA) VFR

I was too lazy to drive to airport to check upon Morne, but I called a couple of FBO desks... He's nowhere around ABQ (unless he decided on Atlantic). Hopefuly made it to Grants. Let's not start worrying until tomorrow.
Landed at AEG instead (cheaper fuel and nice folks at Bode Aviation). Sleeping in Albuquerque and back at it 8am Thursday.

A few photos from today:
Gyrocopter being built at KONY:
301954_10150354121838650_546033649_8315437_801388977_n.jpg

Windsock at KONY:
297685_10150354121938650_546033649_8315439_57533192_n.jpg

Blowing Dust:
374194_10150354122018650_546033649_8315441_797129367_n.jpg

KROW - graveyard for old airliners:
388621_10150354122103650_546033649_8315443_842970822_n.jpg

384428_10150354122168650_546033649_8315445_1726610212_n.jpg

I was too lazy to drive to airport to check upon Morne, but I called a couple of FBO desks... He's nowhere around ABQ (unless he decided on Atlantic). Hopefuly made it to Grants. Let's not start worrying until tomorrow.

He is posting again, so we know he is ok.

yes, I'm using my iPad, hence the weird spelling sometimes that I don't catch till after the post goes thru

Why?

I just noticed the shift instead of a thing that happens to me all the time,

Carrry on

He is posting again, so we know he is ok.
Your concern is appreciated, but unwarranted. After all, I did bring my instructor in the right seat.

Thursday was eventful. Flying from AEG to PRC was beautiful! PRC was very busy, especially to a guy like me who usually haunts uncontrolled fields, but the folks on the ground were nice.

Finally hit some stiff headwinds going from PRC to the LA area - enough so that we decided to land at VCV for some (expensive) fuel. Just before we got there the winds kicked up (26G31) and dust was blowing like crazy. Personally, I'm a little tired of flying in dust storms.

Tried to wait for the winds to die down at VCV, only to have low-level clouds start rolling into the LA Basin. By the time we took off and climbed up to peak over the mountains there were a lot of clouds and the daylight was fading fast. Knowing that the ceilings under the clouds were around 1500' we diverted to WJF and spent the night in Lancaster, CA. Got a rental car and drove the last 80 miles.:dunno:

We'll be departing for home Saturday morning, hopefully with some serious tailwinds. There's some precip forecast for Arizona and New Mexico, but we're hoping that it'll stay ahead of us.

More pictures from Thursday:

Beautiful New Mexico scenery:
376811_10150356409653650_546033649_8324929_905545181_n.jpg

376784_10150356409918650_546033649_8324932_1019472417_n.jpg

296337_10150356410028650_546033649_8324934_1714860722_n.jpg

300735_10150356410183650_546033649_8324935_780182766_n.jpg

299039_10150356410348650_546033649_8324937_1286189566_n.jpg

378010_10150356410478650_546033649_8324938_1712792134_n.jpg

301572_10150356410578650_546033649_8324939_54878774_n.jpg

Crater in the distance:
393617_10150356410823650_546033649_8324942_606894994_n.jpg

Sedona - unbelievably gorgeous:
393272_10150356410963650_546033649_8324943_229286454_n.jpg

Canyons that an Ohio boy could never have dreamed of:
376263_10150356411183650_546033649_8324945_1345374040_n.jpg

Lake Havasu:
392151_10150356411263650_546033649_8324946_1378864780_n.jpg

Victorville - yet another graveyard for unwanted airliners:
310983_10150356411408650_546033649_8324949_122856258_n.jpg

385787_10150356411678650_546033649_8324951_134448280_n.jpg

My bird after just getting filled up (40 more gallons of fuel and we didn't have to hang onto the struts anymore to keep her from getting blown away):
389622_10150356411573650_546033649_8324950_582229677_n.jpg

Looky who happened to taxi past:
385431_10150356411773650_546033649_8324953_1158162073_n.jpg

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, the takeoff from PRC was..."interesting". First off, it's a high elevation (5045') and we were taking off in the early afternoon. It wasn't really hot, but the DA was starting to creep up. By comparison, our morning departure from AEG (elevation = 5837') was easier.

Anyways, we taxi to 21L, do the run-up and then wait along with a 172 and a Lancair. The ATIS hadn't been updated apparently, because when we got cleared for take-off I found myself fighting a STIFF quartering tailwind. By my "eyeball ground speed" we were going way too fast but stil hadn't achieved enough IAS to get in the air. Finally, after around 4000' of runway she starts lumbering up (I got into ground effect and let her accelerate there). While I'm climbing out the tower comes on the radio and gives the updated winds (12G18 from 080 degrees) and announces they will be changing the active runway. I guess watching my crappy takeoff convinced them...:rolleyes:

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, the takeoff from PRC was..."interesting". First off, it's a high elevation (5045') and we were taking off in the early afternoon. It wasn't really hot, but the DA was starting to creep up. By comparison, our morning departure from AEG (elevation = 5837') was easier.

Anyways, we taxi to 21L, do the run-up and then wait along with a 172 and a Lancair. The ATIS hadn't been updated apparently, because when we got cleared for take-off I found myself fighting a STIFF quartering tailwind. By my "eyeball ground speed" we were going way too fast but stil hadn't achieved enough IAS to get in the air. Finally, after around 4000' of runway she starts lumbering up (I got into ground effect and let her accelerate there). While I'm climbing out the tower comes on the radio and gives the updated winds (12G18 from 080 degrees) and announces they will be changing the active runway. I guess watching my crappy takeoff convinced them...:rolleyes:

Great story. When you were taking off, did the windsock indicate this too?

Thanks.

You are gaining some great flying experience. Congrats!

Great story. When you were taking off, did the windsock indicate this too?
I am embarassed to say that I relied solely on the ATIS and never even looked at the windsock. Lesson learned.

And yes, the Predator drones do make CTAF announcements. They have chase planes in the air to keep things safe. I heard him call a 7-mile final while I was on short final, but was so busy dealing with landing in gusting winds and blowing dust that the military callsign didn't even register.

Do the Predator folks make CTAF announcements? :)
Global Hawk talks to ATC and CTAF all by itself, it relays radio traffic for the operator. It was one of conditions to get it approved for flying by normal IFR rules. Predator - not sure. It's much cheaper.

I am embarassed to say that I relied solely on the ATIS and never even looked at the windsock. Lesson learned.

And yes, the Predator drones do make CTAF announcements. They have chase planes in the air to keep things safe. I heard him call a 7-mile final while I was on short final, but was so busy dealing with landing in gusting winds and blowing dust that the military callsign didn't even register.

I understand. I asked only because my airport is untowered, so we look at the windsock often, though it is easy to "trust" the every-minute-updated AWOS broadcast. Also, in almost 100 flights I've only used the "other end" of the runway - runway one one - a total of two times. So it is almost automatic to just taxi up to runway two niner and not even think about the winds.

I understand. I asked only because my airport is untowered, so we look at the windsock often, though it is easy to "trust" the every-minute-updated AWOS broadcast. Also, in almost 100 flights I've only used the "other end" of the runway - runway one one - a total of two times. So it is almost automatic to just taxi up to runway two niner and not even think about the winds.
Yeah, I am used to untowered airports myself. Like you, at my home airport most folks always use the one end.

We're on our way back, trying to stay between the fronts. Left KWJF and got to KHII - the BBQ there was GREAT!!!:D

Took a nap while the clouds over the mountains dispersed some, then flew on to KPRC. The winds were nothing this time, just 11G18, and my instructor was very impressed with the landing.

It was very interesting staying below the clouds but above the mountainous terrain. Being a flatlander, I am not used to flying at an altitude below the big blue numbers indicating MSA in each quadrangle, but that's exactly what I did today. The briefer indicated that there were some broken clouds near my destination and possible mountain obscurement, so I didn't want to be VFR on top and trying to hunt down a hole in the clouds to descend into only to find myself testing the aerodynamic qualities of granite.:yikes:

We're in KPRC for the night, then our route will depend on what the AirMets, Prog Charts and Radar are showing. Might have to swing up into Nebraska.

I hope you are taking lots of "cool" notes about stuff like this in your log book. Like one other POA member mentioned, his log books have become his most valued items.

One day you will look back on this epic adventure with smiles.

That can't be cheap. I guess economy of scale? One chase plane for seven drones or so? Fascinating.

Morne, you dah man.
Thank you, kind Sir.

Today we made good time with excellent tailwinds pushing us to 145-155 knots groundspeed. Pretty quick for a bird within 2 months of her 50th birthday.

Spent a lot of the cruise up at 11,500'. Really incredible how far you can see from up there.

Started the day in PRC with FROST on my plane! Hey...where's that vaunted Arizona sunshine to thaw my wings?:mad: At least the folks at Legend Aviation were incredibly hopsitable...if any of y'all are in the PRC area stop in and meet the fine folks there.

After 2 hours of delay we finally got off and zoomed along to LVS. No one was at the airport, but we self-served and discovered that cruising so high really does save on the gas.:yesnod: Taking off from the 6877' elevation field was intriguing, but this time I handled it better. Climb-out takes ages from a field that high...

From there we went straight to ICT. Borrowed the crew car and grabbed a bite of dinner, then a quick check of the weather showed that it might be getting bad towards St. Louis. It was still legal to go, so we did, with an assortment of alternatives in mind.

It was dark when we left ICT with SUS as our stated destination. Climbed up to 7500' and after about an hour we could see lower clouds ahead (though every ASOS/AWOS ahead claimed SKC...what a load of horse pucky). Started dropping down, and down, and down, and down. Finally center couldn't follow us anymore so we put 1200 on the transponder and kept at it...now at 3000'. Started detouring around bad areas, usually sneaking to the north where it was better. Saw on my strikefinder a couple of lightning hits way to our right (south), like 100+ miles out.

Finally, even 3000' wasn't low enough and we inadvertently flew into the clouds. Knowing it was better to our left, I entered a standard rate turn just like my instructor had trained me. Got out of the clouds and decided we were landing at the next airport to the north (DMO). As I headed there I saw a couple more hits on the strikefinder, this time to the west of us. Got in the pattern at DMO, keyed up the pcl and landed like I knew what I was doing. During rollout I looked down at the strikefinder, which I had ignored for 5 minutes getting to/into the pattern and landing, and saw a MASS of strikes all over the place!:eek: It's good to be on the ground...

After 2 hours of delay we finally got off and zoomed along to LVS. No one was at the airport, but we self-served and discovered that cruising so high really does save on the gas.:yesnod:
LVS is one of my favourites. They keep talking about closing it though, the city has no money to support the airport. Perhaps your purchase will extend its life another few minutes.

Just curious why you didn't fly that last night leg under IFR. Icy?

Just curious why you didn't fly that last night leg under IFR. Icy?

We had already flown for 2.25 hours, intending to only fly for 3.0 anyway. Combine that with the strike finder starting to light up, and that it was the third leg of the day, and finding a spot to rest for the night seemed prudent.

Home now, but plane still in Missouri. Will drive the rental car back there over the weekend and fly the bird to the paint shop.

We had seen yellow and red on the radar ahead of us before we left. It was moving with us, so we decided to see how far we could make before it got thick. We found it. IFR or VFR, I am not a fan of flying in rough storms.

IFR or VFR, I am not a fan of flying in rough storms.

Smart man. Sorry you couldn't make it all the way first go; I think you can see why I made the cautions I did. But good for you for doing it!

Again, and not to sound like a broken record, but these are some really cool pictures. I am not flying right now, so I am living through your flying. Keep posting them, they are awesome.

Y'know, after dodging T-storms on the way to the show without it, I say a VFR pilot really doesn't need it. You have the Mark II eyeballs, and Flightwatch for the stuff you can't see over the horizon. Seriously. I had it, but now that I don't, I don't miss it anywhere near as much as I thought I would.
On day one of the return trip we were behind a front moving east over the mountains. We made it to HII for lunch and a nap (waiting for the clouds to lift/disperse). Then we pushed on to PRC. HOWEVER, all 3 of the VORs I used in that area had their HIWAS out and Flightwatch was offline in the ABQ area. Might seem like slim odds, but it is exactly what happened.

A few other random observations:

-While most controllers are nice, some are jerks. On my way out west I was talking to either Louisville Approach or Evansville Center (can't recall which) and the controller asked for my "heading". Mind you, this was only for flight following, I was NOT in controlled airspace and did NOT have to be talking to anyone. So I responded with my destination airport, which I was direct towards. He came back with a snotty attitude asking, "WHAT IS YOUR HEADING?" A few thoughts:
1 - It doesn't matter what my heading is, only what my course is. After all, my heading is my course corrected for wind and magnetic variations and deviations. Looking at the map, he needs course.
2 - Looking at his cute little radar, he should already have my track, which is (hopefully) pretty doggone close to my course.
3 - I was only talking to him out of courtesy for his job. It was crystal clear VMC and I didn't need him to keep me out of trouble. I seriously considered replying to his snotty retort, "Cancel radar service, Skylane N_____ will maintain VFR and squawk 1200." I had only begun talking because I needed cleared through CVG's bravo, which I was well beyond by that point.

-My skills certainly improved in many areas, not the least of which include gusty wind landings and take-offs from high elevation fields.

-It's hard to correct your DG at night when your compass is not illuminated by the onboard red lights. When we decided to GET DOWN ASAP Sunday night there was some chop and I was plenty busy just flying the plane. Fortunately, KDMO has a beacon on the field so I turned in the direction my ADF pointed and found the field with ease. Let's hear it for obsolete navigational technology!:D

-Prior to this, I never ventured above 10,000' MSL. But with the excellent tailwinds up there we spent a lot of the return trip at 11,500'. Certainly burn less gas that way.

-My 182 is still the right bird for 75+% of my mission, but if I was going to be crossing the continent on a regular basis I would buy something with turbo and oxygen.

-I am very confident in my plane and my ability to handle it in any reasonable condition. Still going to remain cautious with my go/no-go decision, but if I had to fly to California again I'd do so solo without any reservations.

Like I said, you dah man. You've gone further than I, your fellow buckeye. Perhaps my own view of some of our technology will change when I've gone west of the Mississippi.

Good job!

Good job Morne. Fying CC is just a bunch of short hops.

Get yourself a portable 02 system if you are flying above 8,500. I know what the regs are, but your body will appreciate the O2 levels.

Your experience in the mountains, high alts, cross winds, ATC, all that will serve you well. Nothing can beat experience.

I would be remiss in my duties not to suggest you look at an RV wih a cruise speed of 200 mph. I can be in CA is 1 day. ;)

Last edited:
-Prior to this, I never ventured above 10,000' MSL. But with the excellent tailwinds up there we spent a lot of the return trip at 11,500'.
I always cruise 95/105. Habit... BTW, this reminds me how I landed at a 3,500 ft airpot for the first time. Deep, deep within the atmosphere. I pointed the old 150 down, kept the IAS steady just inside the yellow arc, and watched how the groundspeed on the GPS kept slowing down. It was a great teacheable moment.

I would be remiss in my duties not to suggest you look at an RV wih a cruise speed of 200 mph. I can be in CA is 1 day. ;)
As I said, my 182 still fits the vast majority of my mission.

Of the Vans models, only the RV-10 fits my mission. With used aircraft prices the way they are, I can buy similar performance for 1/3 to 1/2 of the ticket price. That's not to say that I might not get an RV one day, because I just might, but not now.

I like the looks of the RV, and the numbers, but there's more to it than that. Now an RV with a diesel, which I know a few people have done, would be pretty cool. Heck, ANY piston engine bird with diesel engine(s) would be great.

So Morne, where is your next adventure?

Keeping aviation exciting and challenging is a must. Plan something fun.

SMA is the French diesel. I heard it was $44k for a firewall-forward replacement back when it was only introduced (STC-ed).

That controller may have wanted your heading in order to get an idea of the correction angle necessary due to winds aloft, so that he can give you or another aircraft better advisory headings.

So Morne, where is your next adventure?

Keeping aviation exciting and challenging is a must. Plan something fun.
First thing is first, the bird goes in for paint next week. After that, who knows? Maybe I'll fly her to Florida over the winter...

While my bird is down for paint I'll rent a 182RG and get my complex endorsement. Might also rack up a few hours in a Cherokee just to get a feel for the low-wing.

Back