Considering an upgrade....

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Mary and I have been talking about an upgrade. I'm flying a very nice 80 Sundowner with a Garmin 530 and panel mounted 496 with xm weather and Zaon XRX for traffic. Engine time is <350.

I am starting to look at Bo's but I haven't ruled out stepping up to a twin. All very very preliminary at this point.

I'm 700 hour instrument rated, no complex or twin time. We both really enjoy traveling. As of late with my Brides health problems we have been keeping it close to home with beach runs to our motor home at KOXB. A bonanza or twin would make the move to the carolinas with the motor home and airport car very doable.

The plan for retirement is to sell our home and move to the Ocean City MD area and move our motor home to Florida for winters south.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Don't see what's wrong with the mouse, especially the cherry one you've got. How often do you expect to make that commute? How much time do you actually save with the Bo?

Most importantly, if you're retired, what's the big hurry?

Don't see what's wrong with the mouse, especially the cherry one you've got. How often do you expect to make that commute? How much time do you actually save with the Bo?

Most importantly, if you're retired, what's the big hurry?

Can't you read between the lines Stein? He has his wife buying in on this, don't mess it up!:D Besides, maybe he'll sell one of us the Musketeer.:)

Doors on both sides, like your Sundowner, right? I know that's important for you. And the big back doors of the 36's makes loading gear very easy. With zero complex, you're probably looking at 25 hours of dual before flying without a minder, and a significantly higher insurance premium until you get 100 hours of retractable time. It will fly a lot nicer than your current plane -- beautiful handling characteristics and lovely control harmony. All in all, if you are OK with the financial aspects (probably a 40-50% increase in total annual flying budget), I say go for it.

And I'll be happy to help you check out in it, too. :wink2:

Can't you read between the lines Stein? He has his wife buying in on this, don't mess it up!:D Besides, maybe he'll sell one of us the Musketeer.:)

His wife is now the size of a broomstick, she looks like a teenager. They aren't in dire need of heavy lifting ability. But yeah, I'd love to snap up that mouse. Nothing like an airplane with the fuel burn of a 182 and the speed of a 150.

His wife is now the size of a broomstick, she looks like a teenager. They aren't in dire need of heavy lifting ability. But yeah, I'd love to snap up that mouse. Nothing like an airplane with the fuel burn of a 182 and the speed of a 150.

:lol:...now if I could shed some of those pounds and catch up with her. Well, I'm msure we will always have a large dog that will travel with us. Right now our mastiff jumps in and out through the baggage door and lays on her blanket from start to stop. Thanks for the kind words on our Mouse.

Yes, I really really like the two doors. I'll keep that in mind about a check out. Again, all very preliminary just starting to look at the $ and need.

:yesnod: Yep!!

Mary and I have been talking about an upgrade. I'm flying a very nice 80 Sundowner with a Garmin 530 and panel mounted 496 with xm weather and Zaon XRX for traffic. Engine time is <350.

I am starting to look at Bo's but I haven't ruled out stepping up to a twin. All very very preliminary at this point.

I'm 700 hour instrument rated, no complex or twin time. We both really enjoy traveling. As of late with my Brides health problems we have been keeping it close to home with beach runs to our motor home at KOXB. A bonanza or twin would make the move to the carolinas with the motor home and airport car very doable.

The plan for retirement is to sell our home and move to the Ocean City MD area and move our motor home to Florida for winters south.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

If your going to go twin give Ted a call, I'm sure he will work a deal on the Aztec that will include some training. Well I can't speak for him but he is an honest man so what he says is what you will get.

:lol:...now if I could shed some of those pounds and catch up with her. Well, I'm msure we will always have a large dog that will travel with us. Right now our mastiff jumps in and out through the baggage door and lays on her blanket from start to stop. Thanks for the kind words on our Mouse.

I was joking abou the fuel burn, and yes, you should loose some weight. The mouse is gorgeous, and well equipped. Says me, keep it. If you're retiring, then no hurry. Enjoy the mouse as the scenery slowly slips by...

Doors on both sides, like your Sundowner, right? I know that's important for you. And the big back doors of the 36's makes loading gear very easy. With zero complex, you're probably looking at 25 hours of dual before flying without a minder, and a significantly higher insurance premium until you get 100 hours of retractable time. It will fly a lot nicer than your current plane -- beautiful handling characteristics and lovely control harmony. All in all, if you are OK with the financial aspects (probably a 40-50% increase in total annual flying budget), I say go for it.

I'm a 250hr PPL, zero complex, zero high performance. For a Bo the insurance Company wants 10 dual and 5 solo before carrying PAX. Hull value of 60K was quoted at 1300ish per year. All a nice surprise for me. Was about $50/mo (double) more than my Cherokee insured at 25K.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Just as a starter I'd get my MEL and see if that is what I really wanted to do.

As I get older I find that 2.5 - 3.0 hrs in a small plane is about as much time as I want to spend on one leg of a flight. In most cases that's going to yield 300 miles (+/-). Not sure what you propose would change that very much. Flying a twin is a lot of fun, but it is different. Highly recommend you get some time playing with engine out flying (raise the dead) to see if that is really what you want. Cost analysis for the extra engine will be interesting. In any case keep us posted on your decision making progress, it will be fun to see what you come up with.

If you are not in a hurry, or need the big cargo space, you might want to find an aircraft that is really fun to fly and attracts attention every where it goes.

chasing burgers can be done with class.

Attachments

• DSCN2550.JPG
    DSCN2550.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2551.JPG
    DSCN2551.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2552.JPG
    DSCN2552.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN2562.JPG
    DSCN2562.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2555.JPG
    DSCN2555.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2556.JPG
    DSCN2556.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2557.JPG
    DSCN2557.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2558.JPG
    DSCN2558.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 8
That's all that pax want to spend in turboprops and small-tube bizjets too. As the legs get longer, the planes change as well. A client in Dallas is contemplating the move from a F-90 King Air to a Citation for that exact reason.

As I get older I find that 2.5 - 3.0 hrs in a small plane is about as much time as I want to spend on one leg of a flight. In most cases that's going to yield 300 miles (+/-). Not sure what you propose would change that very much. Flying a twin is a lot of fun, but it is different. Highly recommend you get some time playing with engine out flying (raise the dead) to see if that is really what you want. Cost analysis for the extra engine will be interesting. In any case keep us posted on your decision making progress, it will be fun to see what you come up with.

I think the Bonanza would be a nice choice, give you good speed, and decent carrying capability, especially with tip tanks. Also, from a financial perspective, it still only has one of everything, but that's got to be your consideration.

I think the Bonanza would be a nice choice, give you good speed, and decent carrying capability, especially with tip tanks. Also, from a financial perspective, it still only has one of everything, but that's got to be your consideration.

Anthony,

Yes, staying with the 'one" of everything is looking better. Pricing out some 310's and Bo's tonight while Mary is with her Mom. Both are great looking planes and they each have their pros and cons.

I talked to my A&P and ran some numbers with him, I value his flying wisdom and mechanical skills. My mission really will work with my sundowner for now. Looking down the road a few years when we pull the plug on living in Delaware and head to the beach we will want to make the MD-FL flights more often and our travel distance will increase, we want to do the left coast. It will be nice to have a plane that has a higher service ceiling, more power and useful load. I just wish the Bo had a pilot side door!

Last edited:
When you calculate the time savings on most flights, it doesn't really matter that much, but when you begin doing, regular long commutes, the extra speed is nice. I think that's excatly what you're saying, and you have a good ride already, equipped the way you want. A lot to be said for that.

Still nice to look at options though.

Right now our mastiff jumps in and out through the baggage door and lays on her blanket from start to stop.
Another good reason for the BE36 -- easy entry for the pooch through the back door. Remove the back two seats, and that creates a really nice space for a dog of that size.

Last edited:
I'm a 250hr PPL, zero complex, zero high performance. For a Bo the insurance Company wants 10 dual and 5 solo before carrying PAX. Hull value of 60K was quoted at 1300ish per year.
That's a pretty low hull value for a BE36. Or are you talking about a much older Bo with only four seats? And how much liability did that include?

Did I miss the answer to the most important first question - How much are you willing to spend?

I LOVE these kind of topics. For the past 50 years all I've ever done is thumb though Trade-a-Plane and dream!

Back