Considering Accelerated PPL

rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
I’ve always loved aviation, owned all of the Flight Simulators since 1995. When it became the time to pick a career my family didn’t want me to pursue aviation and I went to college. Now with 2 masters degrees, a steady job and just married (with the daughter of a retired pilot) I want to really learn to fly.

This year I took 2 discovery flights one in KOAK with a great scenery but no real flying and one in KVGT where I managed to really fly, turn and do all the cool things a pilot does. I also “flew” in a 737 sim and a King Air Full Motion sim. And I also logged many hours in FSX (more C172 now). Now I’m planning discovery flights for 2016 business trips and vacations.

So, I’m from Mexico and considering doing an Accelerated Private Pilot program in the Bay Area (I go on business at least 5 times a year for more than a week) or South Texas (McAllen, Harlingen or Brownsville) where my family has a condo.

I want to do the Accelerated training because I want to do more than Discovery Flights in the future and don’t have a lot of time. I think that if I get the license then after that I can hire a CFI for a couple of hours and fly a little whenever I’m the US. After the license I don’t see myself flying solo if I don’t have a lot of practice (probably moving to the Bay Area in a couple of years)

My plan so far is to do online Ground School and hit an Accelerated Program after that

After all this mini history my questions are:
1. What are your thoughts on accelerated programs?
2. Any suggestion on my plan?
3. Any recommendations on CFIs/Flight Schools?

I think it sounds like total hell.

Flying is supposed to be fun, not a beat-the-crap-out-of-yourself nonstop study thing. It's a lot of fun at 2-3 times per week, or even 5 times per week (if you don't have a day job), but an accelerated program is a lot more than that.

I'm not sure the Bay Area is a good place for an accelerated program. Too much airspace. Vegas isn't much better. If you really must do it in 2-3 weeks, I'd go out into the boonies -- and since you're paying $10,000 or more for it, spend an extra $300 and travel to where the good weather is. There are pilot mills in Atwater, Napa, Santa Monica, and a whole bunch of other spots. You want someplace where you can leave the pattern and be in a practice area in 5 minutes. You can do this in San Jose, Livermore, or Concord, but not really elsewhere around the Bay.

There is no reason to go someplace nice. You aren't going to do anything but fly and study. And if you're also expected to work a day job, there is no way it's going to work. Fly weekends and evenings instead.

Last edited:
Go see Jesse Angell in Lincoln NE

6 weeks, 60 hours, one instructor. I'd do it all over again, as it worked well into my slow time for my business. Eastern Cincinnati Avn/Sporty's- I69. Good luck.

As one that took 23 years to get his PPL, I'm all for accelerated. I got the IR that way in two weeks after that 23 year mess.

There are pros and cons to accelerated flight training. I personally feel that the accelerated training works fine for the additional ratings once you have the basics down, but trying to learn the fundamentals required for a private rating in such a short period of time can be tough. It will be even harder if you have other things on your mind such as work or family distractions that keep you from focusing.

If you're thinking you're moving to the bay area in a couple of years, why not wait to do your training once you move here? That might be a better use of your time and money, especially if you're not going to fly much at all after you got your rating and you're back at home.

Back