Connie!

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
Some of you know that the former TWA terminal at JFK has been converted to a hotel, named the TWA Hotel. We went there back in February to have drinks and dinner with friends who were in transit. They have done an excellent job of converting the Eero Saarinen designed building from airport terminal into a hotel.

They also have restored (but not to flying condition) a Lockheed L-1649A Constellation, which flew for TWA but was quickly made obsolete by the Boeing 707. Below is a link to the history of this great plane:

https://www.twahotel.com/connie-airplane/connies-history

She is now a cocktail lounge for the hotel. She looks great out on the tarmac, sitting high on her long nose strut!

We went in for a drink. Although the cockpit was not open for access, one can stick a head in and take a photo or two (see attached). Imagine blasting across the North Atlantic with that panel! OK, it wasn't that bad. The flight engineer got most of the instruments, and the Navigator's station (not pictured - sorry!) was just behind the cockpit at the door where the pax entered.

I think Tom Downey @Tom-D has some time in type...

-Skip Miller

Attachments

• Connie Cockpit.jpg
    Connie Cockpit.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Connie Flight Engineer Station.jpg
    Connie Flight Engineer Station.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 62
We had planned to go to Argentina this Sept for a combo wine/bird hunting trip with another couple and doing the American non-stop JFK to Buenos Aries. We were going to do the JFK hotel the night before and go up and see Sagamore Hill day of since the flight is at 2200 but alas, trip is off.

Saw the one Kermit weeks has at fof, she's looking pretty sad, hard to believe she flew in there. Gorgeous airplanes.

Saw the one Kermit weeks has at fof, she's looking pretty sad, hard to believe she flew in there. Gorgeous airplanes.

Yeah, that one makes me sick every time I drive past the place. She flew in there, but now she’s been neglected so long that she’ll never fly again.

Kermit talked about making a restaurant out of her, but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

Back