Connecting to the Internet

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I have an old Dell desktop that uses Windows XP.
On my task bar it shows I am connected at 400.0 Mbps, however my IE won't connect.
It acts like it doesn't know I am connected.

I go into "Tools" on IE and tell it to use LAN for connection.

I am connecting to a new Netgear Router and when I go to http://routerlogin.net, I don't see the Dell computer on "attached devices."

My laptop is connected, my Acer is connected, but the Dell doesn't show a connection.

What now?

Thanks,
Terry

Does computer have a static IP address?
Can you ping router address from the xp computer?
Reboot router?

Okay,
Rebooted router and no change.
Disconnected Ethernet cable in back of computer an the Icon still said I was connected. I don't know what is connected but it wasn't the Netgear router. Disabled connection and now back to square 1.

Have basic Windows XP loaded but no internet connection.

I looked for my static IP but was unable to find it. Can I find it from C:\ and if so, how?

Thanks,
Terry

from the start menu, select "Run" and type in "CMD" to get up the old style DOS command line . Enter "ipconfig", press enter.

Tell us what the result are.

In my device manager, I enabled 1394 Network Adapter

Just below that is:
Other Devices:
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller

All in yellow.

I typed CMD then ipconfig

It reads, Window IP Configuration

No IP number

When network cable is plugged in, you should get immediate light at both ends

Light at the computer end. Amber light on, not green, at the router.

What piece of equipment assigns the IP number? Is this handled in the BIOS?

I would think if I had an IP address, everything would be okay. Correct?

Terry

Light at the computer end. Amber light on, not green, at the router.

What piece of equipment assigns the IP number? Is this handled in the BIOS?

I would think if I had an IP address, everything would be okay. Correct?

Terry

Try a different patch cable. It should be green on both sides. If there is more than one port on the router, try a different port, as well (after patch cable).

I would try reloading the drivers for the chipset.

-Rich

Hi Pilots,

Sorry for being gone so long.

Took lap top to shop and they installed a new hard drive. Old was 60 gig and New is 200 Gig.

Also, found Driver CDROM for Dell desktop.

Think I will take Dell desktop down to shop tomorrow and let him load all of the drivers.

He also said on a Dell, just get the service number and they would have a record of all the drivers that came with the mother board.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions.

I am a Happy Pilot tonight.

Terry

Hi Pilots,

Sorry for being gone so long.

Took lap top to shop and they installed a new hard drive. Old was 60 gig and New is 200 Gig.

Also, found Driver CDROM for Dell desktop.

Think I will take Dell desktop down to shop tomorrow and let him load all of the drivers.

He also said on a Dell, just get the service number and they would have a record of all the drivers that came with the mother board.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions.

I am a Happy Pilot tonight.

Terry

On a lot of Dells, if the correct chipset driver isn't installed, the system will be unable to properly identify and load the drivers for some of the integrated peripherals. This isn't strictly a Dell thing, by the way. I suppose I just came across it more on Dells because of their ubiquity.

Most times when I came across this problem it was because someone did an OS reinstall, and then tried to install the drivers for the integrated peripherals without first installing the chipset driver. Because the chipset itself usually doesn't show up as having a problem in the Device Manager, they would skip right to the components that were showing up as having problems.

The problem is that the system can't identify those components properly without the chipset driver; and indeed, in some cases, the components are actually part of the chipset and require that driver to function.

So my advice, again, would be to reinstall the proper chipset driver. If that's the problem, then installing the driver may very well solve the NIC problem; also, if the chipset driver is the problem, then not installing the driver will prevent you from ever solving the NIC problem.

That's just my $0.02. I made quite a lot of money doing this particular simple job over the years.

-Rich

Back