Connecting an Aera 660 to a JPI 830 EDM

Paul Locander

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
P-Lo 51
Hi everyone-

I've just installed a JPI 830 EDM in my '68 Cardinal and I'm trying to get my Aera 660 to talk to it. I've followed the directions for the 496 (because there isn't anything for the 660) on the JPI site to set the Aera 660 to send at NMEA 4800 baud, and confirmed that the 830 is to receive at that rate, but the three GPS-related indicators on the 830 remain X'd out. I've seen a few write-ups that people have it working, but with no detail. Is there a trick to it that I might be missing?

Semi-unrelated: the GPS out on the 830 is wired into the 660 RS-232 in, although I know it doesn't work (yet), and I'm not sure if that makes a difference here. The RS-232 out on the 660 is wired into the RS-232 in on the 830, though. The GPS out on the 830 is wired into the 660 RS-232 in, although I know it doesn't work.

Any help on this mystery is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Appendix D of the Aera manual has the interconnect information. Try selecting NMEA Out, at the correct baud on the connected Aera serial port, then try switching between normal and fast modes. From Appendix D it looks like it's possible that if you have aviation in selected for the Aera that it will set the baud to 9600. Different engine monitor, but on my EI CGR-30P I only use the RS-232 NMEA out from the Aera to the RS-232 in on the CGR. I don't have the return side connected (CGR out/Aera in).

Appendix D of the Aera manual has the interconnect information. Try selecting NMEA Out, at the correct baud on the connected Aera serial port, then try switching between normal and fast modes. From Appendix D it looks like it's possible that if you have aviation in selected for the Aera that it will set the baud to 9600. Different engine monitor, but on my EI CGR-30P I only use the RS-232 NMEA out from the Aera to the RS-232 in on the CGR. I don't have the return side connected (CGR out/Aera in).

Yeah, I've gone through Appendix D, plus fiddled with the modes and nothing. That's why I'm stumped. I may snip the EDM GPS out to see if...possibly...that resolves the problem. Thanks for the response!

My 660 talks to the 830 just fine. May need to make sure both the 660 and 830 are set to the correct coms interface so they can talk to each other. I could take a look at mine tomorrow and let you know what it is set to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 660 talks to the 830 just fine. May need to make sure both the 660 and 830 are set to the correct coms interface so they can talk to each other. I could take a look at mine tomorrow and let you know what it is set to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I resoldered the connection which got it to work...somewhat. 1 of the 3 indicators is now talking, only to then go 'X' after about 10 seconds. I won't be able to fully test it until I can get the plane in the air in a few days (waiting on a freeze plug). If you get a chance to see what your settings are that would be greatly appreciated!

Back