Connecticut flying clubs

Standardrate

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Hey everyone. Hoping to pick your fertile brains.
We’re pulling up stakes and moving to southern Connecticut in a few months. It was a pleasant surprise to see so many clubs in the area and several clubs look good. Oxford FC is huge and has an impressive fleet. Yale Aviation has only two aircraft but looks good—same goes for Silver City FC and CT Flyers. 21 Flyers is a single-ship club at BDR. Finally, Danbury has the historic Flying 20 Club.

Equity or non-equity arrangement is fine. I learned at, and continue to fly out of, a class D airport so that’s not an issue.
I’m happy to fly IFR-capable Archers and Skyhawks—faster planes are wasted on me.

Who’s had experience with any of these organizations? Advantages, A/C Availability, MX issues, club events, management, idiosyncrasies, etc.
Really looking forward to exploring New England and many Hundred Dollar Hambur—I mean lobster rolls.

No input on the clubs themselves, where you end up living and/or working may be a factor. I'm based at SNC where CT Flyers is, I see their planes flying a lot. SNC is a nice, well maintained, low key airport.

No advice, but there are a few Facebook groups that might be helpful. There’s East Coast Private Pilots, and I think there’s a New England Pilots group also.

Check out the Westchester Flying Club, based at Westchester County Airport (KHPN). Yes it is in New York State, but it is on the state border with New York State, so very close if you are in southwest Connecticut.

www.wfc-hpn.org

they own Archers, Arrows, Bonanzas, Cirrus.

-Skip Miller, a former WFC member. (I moved away and had to resign…)

Last edited:
No input on the clubs themselves, where you end up living and/or working may be a factor. I'm based at SNC where CT Flyers is, I see their planes flying a lot. SNC is a nice, well maintained, low key airport.
Thanks Dana, Cheshire looks like a tidy airfield and in a lovely part of the state. Good to hear the CT Flyers planes are active.

No advice, but there are a few Facebook groups that might be helpful. There’s East Coast Private Pilots, and I think there’s a New England Pilots group also.
I’d say that’s good advice! Thanks—Didn’t think of FB Groups.

Check out the Westchester Flying Club, based at Westchester County Airport (KHPN). Yes it is in New York State, but it is on the state border with New York State, so very close if you are in southwest Connecticut.

www.wfc-hpn.org

they own Archers, Arrows, Bonanzas, Cirrus.

-Skip Miller, a former WFC member. (I moved away and had to resign…)
Thanks Skip, we are thinking about homes that would be an hour or more from Westchester but definitely worth considering.

This in is in Hartford. I belonged for close to 20 years. Single 172 w 180hp conversion, in a hangar. Great group of members….https://www.connecticutvalleyflyers.com/

Thanks Dana, Cheshire looks like a tidy airfield and in a lovely part of the state. Good to hear the CT Flyers planes are active.
That's Chester. There is also a Cheshire, CT, no airport of its own but right next to Meriden (MMK), less rural than Chester.
Thanks Skip, we are thinking about homes that would be an hour or more from Westchester but definitely worth considering.
Depending on the time of day driving to HPN and where you're coming from, traffic can be a major issue. Also HPN is a very busy field with some airline traffic.

This in is in Hartford. I belonged for close to 20 years. Single 172 w 180hp conversion, in a hangar. Great group of members….https://www.connecticutvalleyflyers.com/
Initially I didn’t consider Brainard because of the distance from our home search area but it seems to be a great organization. That’s looks like a well cared-for K model. Thanks for the recommendation!

That's Chester. There is also a Cheshire, CT, no airport of its own but right next to Meriden (MMK), less rural than Chester.

Depending on the time of day driving to HPN and where you're coming from, traffic can be a major issue. Also HPN is a very busy field with some airline traffic.
Looks like I need to invest in a map! I’ve spent a few rush many hours on the Merritt so I get that HPN traffic concern. My experience with HPN is strictly airline so far. Definitely worth a look—thanks!

Back