Congress requires "comprehensive UAS plan" in 9 months

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Oh, THIS is going to be entertaining...

Unmanned aircraft... forced planning by holding budget hostage...

http://www.auvsi.org/news/#HouseFAAPass

9 Months to a "comprehensive" plan from the FAA required by one of the provisions in the latest FAA Congressional Funding Bill.

If it weighs 55 lbs or less, it'll be mandated to be allowed (in some fashion) within 27 months.

This really bothers me. I can see cities, police departments, etc. getting these. Minimum of training - won't have any idea of airspace rules, etc. We VFR pilots (and maybe IFR too) won't be able to see them, and when theirs an accident, we'll be at fault. I just don't trust those that will be operating them.

When Boyer left AOPA he was actively looking for solutions that worked. Had a mailing list of folks set up to gather news and info that he personally ran. (I somehow ended up on it. No idea how. Added after a letter with possible solutions and links to articles showing Police already deploying UAVs many years ago.)

Since "bend over for Washington to keep my future job prospects open" Fuller -- took over, AOPA went completely silent on the whole topic.

We now have a wine club though. Great.

They should just rename it the Corporate Aircraft Lessees Association.

Ownership... When was the last time you saw anything about ownership other than the MSRP price of a new aircraft in the magazine? They don't discuss real-world ownership issues in their rag anymore.

I get more useful ownership tips, even for a Certified aircraft, from EAA. I only support AOPA out of habit these days.

Both organizations are prostrate, subservient, and even giddy in their articles about the FAA funding bill overall, and not make any waves on the deadlines therein -- to mingle UAVs into the airspace.

Back