Congratulations, Summer!

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Today my "adopted" student, Summer, soloed! I took over her training from my dear friend Chris Cooper when health issues temporarily grounded him in December. Summer is from China and is one of the smartest, most intensely focused students I have ever flown with. You can see the "wheels" are always turning in her brain as she receives instruction. If she doesn't "get" something, she stops you immediately and has you explain it again until she does...then she has it! She's a delight to fly with and instruct.

She missed flying most of January due to a trip back to China, then battled weather in February, so was getting a bit frustrated at her lack of progress two weeks ago. But I knew she was still progressing and assured her she was doing just fine. Today we flew again after two weeks off. She was a bit rusty on the first two (we did one go-around), but then settled into her groove and began nailing landing after landing. She was adding just the right amount of power when coming up a little short, and slipping it perfectly when a bit high. I knew she was ready.

As we pulled off the runway, she was expecting it to be the end of her lesson. I looked over and said, "I think you're ready to solo."

Her eyes grew to the size of saucers...with an accompanying look of panic.

"I'm not ready!!"

"Yes, you are. Your landings are perfect. You're definitely ready."

"Do you really think so?" she asked.

"I wouldn't let you solo if you weren't!" I responded.

We taxied back to the FBO. As we pulled up near the building I said, "Turn around and I'll jump out right here.".

As I climbed out I looked back at Summer. I could see the wheels were turning as intensely as ever.

"You're going to do great! I'll be on the radio of you need me", I said as I shut the door and latched it.

On my handheld radio I listened as she read back the multi-part taxi instructions perfectly, then headed off to runway 36. I called the tower and advised them of the first solo.

She did awesomely! Okay, landing #2 got a bit wobbly, but #1 and #3 were terrific! You should have seen the smile on her face when she got back. There were hugs all around while I clipped her shirttail and inscribed it. We snapped some photos (which I am sure are all the way to China by now!), and I put together a little memento for her achievement. Congratulations, Summer! You'll be a private pilot soon!

Attachments

• SummerSchneider_FirstSolo_web.jpg
    SummerSchneider_FirstSolo_web.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Nice work, LD, and congrats to Summer!

Today my "adopted" student, Summer, soloed! I took over her training from my dear friend Chris Cooper when health issues temporarily grounded him in December. Summer is from China and is one of the smartest, most intensely focused students I have ever flown with. You can see the "wheels" are always turning in her brain as she receives instruction. If she doesn't "get" something, she stops you immediately and has you explain it again until she does...then she has it! She's a delight to fly with and instruct.

She missed flying most of January due to a trip back to China, then battled weather in February, so was getting a bit frustrated at her lack of progress two weeks ago. But I knew she was still progressing and assured her she was doing just fine. Today we flew again after two weeks off. She was a bit rusty on the first two (we did one go-around), but then settled into her groove and began nailing landing after landing. She was adding just the right amount of power when coming up a little short, and side-slipping perfectly when a bit high. I knew she was ready.

As we pulled off the runway, she was expecting it to be the end of her lesson. I looked over and said, "I think you're ready to solo."

Her eyes grew to the size of saucers...with an accompanying look of panic.

"I'm not ready!!"

"Yes, you are. Your landings are perfect. You're definitely ready."

"Do you really think so?" she asked.

"I wouldn't let you solo if you weren't!" I responded.

We taxied back to the FBO. As we pulled up near the building I said, "Turn around and I'll jump out right here.".

As I climbed out I looked back at Summer. I could see the wheels were turning as intensely as ever.

"You're going to do great! I'll be on the radio of you need me", I said as I shut the door and latched it.

On my handheld radio I listened as she read back the multi-part taxi instructions perfectly, then headed off to runway 36. I called the tower and advised them of the first solo.

She did awesome! Okay, landing #2 got a bit wobbly, but #1 and #3 were terrific! You should have seen the smile on her face when she got back. There were hugs all around while I clipped her shirttail and inscribed it. We snapped some photos (which I am sure are all the way to China by now!), and I put together a little memento for her achievement. Congratulations, Summer! You'll be a private pilot soon!

All three of you look happy! Congratulations to you and Summer! :cheerswine:

That is awesome. I can tell your excitement is genuine. I am sure you are a great instructor. I almost wanna move to MN. Congrats to Summer!!! The background picture is perfect

All three of you look happy! Congratulations to you and Summer! :cheerswine:

Thanks! I was really happy Chris was onsite to share in the moment since he gave her a sound foundation of stick-n-rudder skills before handing her off to me. He was thrilled for her. Hopefully he'll be back in the air by Fall.

That is awesome. I can tell your excitement is genuine. I am sure you are a great instructor. I almost wanna move to MN. Congrats to Summer!!! The background picture is perfect

Come on up! It's a great place to learn to fly!

stories like this always bring a tear to my eye - its a great thing to happen to get wings.

Congratulations to you, and her!

Please pass along my 加油, 非常好 to her! She will know what it means.

. . . and also tell her that learning Chinese was harder for me than learning to fly; so if she can readback multi-part taxi instructions in English, she'll be a private pilot in no time!

. . . and also tell her that learning Chinese was harder for me than learning to fly; so if she can readback multi-part taxi instructions in English, she'll be a private pilot in no time!

I sometimes wonder what percentage of her intense concentration is mentally translating newly acquired English information into Chinese long-term memory storage?!

She's an MBA and works internationally....a very sharp young woman!

I sometimes wonder what percentage of her intense concentration is mentally translating newly acquired English information into Chinese long-term memory storage?!

She's an MBA and works internationally....a very sharp young woman!

I'll bet it is a bit of both. It is hard for me to remember back when I was learning "Pilot-ese," how to communicate on the radio with controllers and other pilots, but I do remember that it almost felt like a foreign language!

Sounds like she is both smart AND determined--and that's a winning combination for people who want to be pilots!

Actually, I'm pretty sure her long term memory relating to flying is primarily in English. I've studied science, law and now aviation in English, and wouldn't be able to regurgitate any of it intelligently in my native tongue.

Congratulations to both of you! :cheers:

Actually, I'm pretty sure her long term memory relating to flying is primarily in English. I've studied science, law and now aviation in English, and wouldn't be able to regurgitate any of it intelligently in my native tongue.

I second that. I took a business French class last semester and am taking the next in the sequence this semester, and so I have a lot of terms and ideas in my head that I wouldn't be able to say in English at all. Just out of curiosity, what is your native language?

Congratulations!!
As a new private student these kind of stories mean a lot to me. I can't wait to solo :)
I really like how you kept including her previous instructor in all of it. Great ethics

Thanks! That's good to know. I've never become proficient enough in another language to fully understand how that might work. She's mastered the radio and ATC verbiage very well.

Congratulations!!
As a new private student these kind of stories mean a lot to me. I can't wait to solo :)
I really like how you kept including her previous instructor in all of it. Great ethics

Thanks...Chris is a wonderful instructor and friend. Both of his primary students that I "adopted" had excellent stick and rudder skills. The other student is going for his private pilot checkride this week, if the weather cooperates.

I'm also not sure if people realize that GA in China is almost non-existent.

When you haven't had that privilege, and you come to America, you WILL work hard.

Congratulations to you, and her!

Please pass along my 加油, 非常好 to her! She will know what it means.

Ben: I showed this to Summer before our lesson today. She lit up when she saw it! And she said to tell you "Thank you!"

She soloed again today...not the least bit nervous (which she found surprising!). She made four beautiful landing even with a slight crosswind. She's becoming be a great little pilot!

Her husband is going to start training in May. He was almost to his checkride before college, then took a long break. But he's anxious to get going again. They'll be my first flying couple I've trained.

Ben: I showed this to Summer before our lesson today. She lit up when she saw it! And she said to tell you "Thank you!"

She soloed again today...not the least bit nervous (which she found surprising!). She made four beautiful landing even with a slight crosswind. She's becoming be a great little pilot!

Her husband is going to start training in May. He was almost to his checkride before college, then took a long break. But he's anxious to get going again. They'll be my first flying couple I've trained.

Sounds like things are going very smoothly, and it is cool that you're going to train her husband, too. Good that they'll have the same teacher, so they'll be on the same page!

Also glad she liked my message, however simple it was!

I am sure she told you what it means, but for those who don't know, it translates to "Keep it up, excellent work!" The fun part about it is the first phrase, which literally means "Add gas!" It is used for encouragement, but I think it is especially appropriated for us pilots! :wink2:

Back