Congratulations Jim Shawley!

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Congratulations Jim, on passing your check ride! I hope you will post some details of your check ride and your flying since then. :yes:

:cheerswine:

Thanks, you all! And Thanks, Diana, for tooting my horn for me (I'm kinda bashful, y'know).

Well, I'll tell youse guys a few lessons learned, from it:

Keep reading the FAR/AIM, PHAK, and all the rest, even when there ain't no FBO, or plane handy. Keep planning XCs, up to going through DUATs, or RTFP or whatever.

Keep playing with the whiz wheel, even though there ain't no reason to.

And do everything possible to not go through serial CFIs. Those little excuses ended up leaving me with a few gaps in my training which neither I nor my CFIs caught.

In the end, though, all worked out ok.

Hafta start Monday, 7/9: Jack and I got together for my preps. Diana, you'll remember it was IFR above about 2500'. No problem, Jack says we're going into actual!! (I had been wanting to do this anyway, as it's too easy to cheat, even when you're not cheating.) So up we go, ending up doing a VOR hold, and Jack finally vectoring me to an approach to M17's rwy 36. Clear of the clouds, and voila! there's the field. Jack really liked my control of the plane, as well as keeping attitude/altitude during the turns and straight lines. That would come in handy Saturday the 14th.

So I do my last audit of the log book, see I need 0.3 solo XC. Off I go Thursday to LLU, only to discover they're painting the centerline; no prob, lesson learned (don't forget to call FSS and check on local NOTAMs--even though one wasn't issued, I think). Go to LBO that afternoon, visit with the attendant, who has a degree in airport management. Wonderful FBO, BTW.

Friday am, Jack and I meet, and work on one of my deficiencies: Class C airspace protocol, communications, expectations (the few times I had been to SGF were always with a CFI (save once--my first solo XC to M58 & SGF, where I really messed up--but they forgave me--after I "wrote down a number"), and they essentially held my hand all the way in and out; never had actually full-stopped, so my communications experiences were not all-encompassing). They say that if a dress rehearsal is terrible, the performance will be good. I hope that's true: Every landing I do with Jack is on par for a first solo; I land upsidedownbackwards every time! They are embarrassing! I am mortified! Jack is satisfied, but I'm not.

So I go out late Friday afternoon and nail just about all my landings, and even figure out why we all had to learn how to fly at 45kias with full flaps and power and maintain 3000ft: So we can fly at 45 with full flaps and 6" on a soft field landing (duh:rolleyes: !) This will also come in handy Saturday.

Get home about 7:45pm. Can't open the door. Can't negotiate through the garage. Can't get in my own home! My younger son's friends are using our home as the backdrop for a photo shoot for a magazine article on small group Bible Studies, and the photographer is one of his friends. I do finally get in, but the dining room table and coffee tables are off limits; they can't be moved at all, as Caleb is posing each model (paper wad shooter, target, paper airplane pilot, harried leader, &c) individually, after which he'll combine everything with PhotoShop. Ah, modern technology! Meanwhile, I'm figuring out where I'm going to plug in the laptop and get all the data for tomorrow's planned XC to MKC. BTW, the paper airplane was designed and built by yours truly:) B) .

I finally get to bed at midnight. (Not a good idea, just prior to a checkride). The kids are finally eating the pie and ice cream (oh, to be young again).

Saturday morning, 6:45: Need to burn off a couple of gallons so we'll be within W&B; so I do three T&Gs. Look good. Jack arrives, we fly to SGF, meet the DPE. Visit awhile, then I almost crash and burn the oral. He's not completely ready to kick me out, but...if it had been me, I would have booted me.

Well, up we go. Door opens on me, but at least I don't lose the charts, so we do low level pilotage then, after hitting our first points, we do turns around a point. I stay within +/-10ft. Then it's off to M17, where we do all the landings. That's where I start to win him over; my soft field landing, as well as my short field, which we rushed so as not to delay all the traffic buzzing around, made him start to smile.

The ceiling started to lift, so we worked up to 3,000, and did my 45s, the right being a lot better than the left. then it was power off, power on, and slow flight, all of which I kept well within the PTS--especially the slow flight. Then came the foggles and UA, which made him grin.

Back to SGF, where Jack zipped over on his Mule, asking if there was a pilot available to give him a ride back to his car at M17. That's when it hit me that I was getting a white slip instead of a pink slip.

Back to M17 with my first passenger, who duly noted it my log book. barely set foot in the restuarant, when Jack sits me down with Guy, who is about to start his IR, and gives my my next assignment: CIGAR and TTTTTTT. No rest for the weary:D !

Jack, when he exhales, teaches. He is a born teacher, and I owe him a great debt for taking me on and finishing me up. He is one of the greats. After I picked up the temporary cert, I said, "I suppose I am no longer a 'student pilot'; but if he'll have me, I would like to remain Jack's student". He's that good--no, he's that great.

Sorry for the length, but it was quite a day. Everyone in the FBO at Bolivar was cheering me on, including Mary, who got all teary-eyed when I landed (natch--that's what wives do:yes: ).

Haven't been up yet, and I guess my first (next) passenger will be my younger son. (Mary and I won't fit in a 152--especially at high DAs, so that'll have to wait awhile, until we both adjust our personal W&Bs:redface: .)

Thanks to all for your encouragement all these months! Now to go learn how to fly...

Jim

Thanks, Elizabeth! BTW, when are you going to finish up, hmmmm?;)

My three-year-old granddaughter needs to see more "girls" flying (should have been there when she was declaring with absolute certainty that only "boys" flew planes, not girls:D ).

Keep at it!!:yes:

Jim

Jim, Congratulations!!!!!
And there is NO need to apologize for the length!

Beth, I second Jim's query.

Jim, introduce her to Leslie or any of the other BABES on this board (who I shall NOT name) :)

Back