Congratulations Chip Gibbons, CFI

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Congratulations to our newest CFI. Yay Chip! You did it! You worked hard, studied hard, and you evidently flew/taught well on your check ride today. :yes:

congrats chip. by far the toughest checkride out there. Lets hear how it went.

DUDE!

After the way you conducted yourself in the Extra and Bonanza, I had no doubt you would pass ... nor do I have any doubt you'll be an excellent instructor.

Alright, Chip, didn't know you were going for CFI, great job!

I suspect we'll have another acro instructor around here at some point...he's got the Citabria, nice plane for intro areobatics work.

FANTASTIC CHIP!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Geesh Chip, you snuck up on me. Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about it.

Dave

Rats! Another one us who can't keep their mouth shut and their hands off the controls;)

Congratulations, your students will teach you much more than you teach them for a while, if you're anything like me.

Joe

Congratulations, Chip! Keep us posted how your future students progress and what you've learned while instructing.

Congrats!
Jason

Yay Chip!

A CFI with an Extra...sounds like fun. :goofy: :goofy:

tonycondon said:
congrats chip. by far the toughest checkride out there. Lets hear how it went.

Now that can't possibly be the case. They gave me one for
helicopter and then fixed wing.

eh, im willing to bet the initial CFI is as hard as it gets, no matter what category/class you do it in first.

Thanks everybody.

My tips for people working on the CFI are:
1) Get a great instructor to work with;
2) Draw a very nice, reasonable examiner.

Diana's husband, Tom, is just the best. Let's just say "several" years of experience instructing and the perfect guy to have in the right, er... left seat. He's a wonderful guy.

And I drew a really great examiner who went by the book (and I mean to the letter) but emphasized the "real world" parts of the training. We actually had a few laughs along the way (nervous laughter on my part).

The practical started at 8:00 and I walked out at about 1:15. The emphasis was on everything I've ever learned about flying, and several things I was supposed to have learned but didn't. We spent about 1/2 of the oral on FOI material, about 1/3 on the FAR's, and the rest on various stuff I was comfortable with.

I had a couple of bad moments flying the maneuvers (I made such an effort to scan for traffic during steep turns I let the altitude get away from me a bit) but all in all it went much better than I thought it might. I have about 600 hours in this specific airplane and know it pretty well, and that makes a HUGE difference flying the maneuvers.

So now, as they say, the learning begins.

Thanks again for the kind words,

Chip

Hey Chip,

If you bring that butt-dragger back up to Lake Elmo, could you give me TW refresher? I'll buy breakfast again.......

Way to go!
Eric
________
Suzuki Sixteen

Last edited:
Awesome Chip!

Congrats, on a well done job!

Chip, sincere congratulations. The CFI ranks took a giant step forward today.

Congratulation, Chip!

Great accomplishment!

gibbons said:
If I can just remember..... mags on, right?

AGAIN?

Opps - My bad - you're right. It was a different meal with board members that I bought. I've had so many meetings (2) I get a little confused sometimes.

Confused- like the time I had my pattern entry planned about 25 miles out for runway 20 only to do a perfect 45 to the downwind for 02. Sigh...
Hey, they both have a 2 and a 0, right?
Eric
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer

Last edited:
Congratulation, Chip!

My first instructor, got religeous.
Claimed he met Jesus at least once a week, and talked to him on almost every flight.
I saw some of his students. I'd of gotten it too....

Chip, congratulations. I too did not know you were doing this. Thanks to Diana for posting this. (miss you Diana)

Ya'll need to be careful. Ol' Chip's (and I do mean old) gonna need a bigger headset readin' this thread.

btw, if Chip will sign my logbook I can claim I'm on a training flight to NW AR, and have to include some x-c training to Twin Oaks.

Chip, I luv ya, man!

Steve said:
btw, if Chip will sign my logbook I can claim I'm on a training flight to NW AR, and have to include some x-c training to Twin Oaks.

Chip, I luv ya, man!
Hey, there you go. Don't you have a flight review coming up soon?

Congratulations, Chip! I'm working on my initial CFI also, so I know first-hand what a tough ride this is. Best of luck to you!:yes:

Dave Langton said:
Congratulations, Chip! I'm working on my initial CFI also, so I know first-hand what a tough ride this is. Best of luck to you!:yes:
You too Dave. When is your ride?

Chip,
I would love to fly down and get an introduction into acro sometime.

If you are interested, I would pay whatever is needed for the services!

Best,

Rudy said:
If you are interested, I would pay whatever is needed for the services!
Best,
Man, this CFI thing is going to work out better than I ever dreamed! Rudy, I'm working on an intro to aerobatics and a spin/upset recovery course. It should be ready by summer. We'll figure something out.

Back