Congrats Pete!!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Pete did his "big sit" today, keeping his glider aloft for at least 5 hours after release from the towplane. This, along with his 50 km distance and 1000 meter altitude gain from last weekend completes the requirements for his Silver Badge. yippee!!!

5 hours straight in a glider, eh? Dunno about anybody else, but that sure makes me want to run out and buy one tomorrow. What's after the silver badge? Knot-tying?

PS: Congratulations, Pete.

Pete did his "big sit" today, keeping his glider aloft for at least 5 hours after release from the towplane. This, along with his 50 km distance and 1000 meter altitude gain from last weekend completes the requirements for his Silver Badge. yippee!!!

5 hours straight in a glider, eh? Dunno about anybody else, but that sure makes me want to run out and buy one tomorrow. What's after the silver badge? Knot-tying?

GOLD!!!

Congrats Pete.. most wait for the 5hr attempt during their Gold Distance.
But when the 300km goes by in 3.5hrs.. then what. :crazy:

It's nice to get the SILVER done before the snow flies and waiting for next season. I did mine soaring a 3 mile long ridge in October, some times I was below the ridge crest.. some times above the ridge crest. :fcross:

Now to get that GOLD!!:thumbsup:

Wayne, I would love to have a beer with you! Your outlook on things nearly mirror my own. Who doesn't love a sarcastic synic?:D

Oh, yeah, congrats on the merit badge thing!

har har wayne.

one thing that I really enjoy about soaring is that there is the badge system. what does everyone post about flying airplanes? they need motivation or another goal or something to keep them going. Well the Silver/Gold/Diamond badge system gives soaring pilots that next goal.

Now that Pete has his Silver he is qualified to fly in regional contests if he likes. Plus he can keep working towards the Gold and Diamond badge. faster further, higher.

Tony, are the achievments compounding, or do you need to start over after achieving each level? i.e. if requirements are met for silver, can they be applied for gold as well?

Bill, they would need a jaws of life to get me out after 5 hours in one of those things. I'd actually like to fly a glider, if you didn't have to wear those damn-fool hats. They are the best way I can think of to look about 70 IQ points dumber than you really are.

Wayne, I would love to have a beer with you! Your outlook on things nearly mirror my own. Who doesn't love a sarcastic synic?:D

Oh, yeah, congrats on the merit badge thing!

the requirements are incremental. basic rundown:

silver:
50 km distance
1000 m altitude gain
5 hrs duration

gold:
300 km distance
3000 m altitude gain

diamond
300 km declared distance (I think it has to be a triangle)
500 km distance
5000 m altitude gain.

so if you have no badges, and complete your diamond badge and get 5 hr duration, you will be awarded silver, gold, and diamond badges.

silver:
50 km distance
1000 m altitude gain
5 hrs duration

gold:
300 km distance
3000 m altitude gain

diamond
500 km distance
5000 m altitude gain.

so if you have no badges, and complete your diamond badge and get 5 hr duration, you will be awarded silver (dumb), gold (dumber), and diamond (dumbest) badges.

Expanded definitions provided.:tongue:

Never met Tony, but I have a feeling he wears the hat to bring himself back to the level of the rest of us. Gotta be a lot 'o knowledge bouncing around in that nugget.

Now Pete, for crying out loud, you are gonna wear that poor glider out!

GO MAN GO!

Now THAT is too cool! :thumbsup:

So, how high was the tow?
And, it seems like it'd be an awful lot of work to be chasing lift that long - is it as exhausting as I think it might be?

Flight report, please!

Congrats, Pete!
What kind of route did you do for that 5hrs? Was it 5hrs 01mins or? Finish at sunset or?

Pete, that's really cool! :yes: Congratulations!

Bill, they would need a jaws of life to get me out after 5 hours in one of those things. I'd actually like to fly a glider, if you didn't have to wear those damn-fool hats. They are the best way I can think of to look about 70 IQ points dumber than you really are.
Wayne! :rolleyes: You are so bad.

Attached is a photo I took of one of the very coolest guys I met when I was out visiting my son in California. I took a glider ride with him two different times at Tehachapi. I just loved him (and his hat :D).

Attachments

• Jim (1200 x 900).jpg
    Jim (1200 x 900).jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 47
Liz,

flights of that duration can be pretty tiring. It really boils down to how dialed in you have your seat cushions and whatnot. My glider isn't really that comfortable so my rear and back are usually in medium pain after flying for 5 hrs. I think pete's glider has a more reclined seat and is probably better in that respect. Physically it can get tiring too, lots of work turning for quite a while.

Dave - here is pete's OLC trace for the day:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=1080065

he stayed more or less local but did work up to the north around the area where he landed out a few weeks ago.

No more questions of this witness. The guy looks like his IQ is at least room temperature. He could make it appear even lower if he unrolled the brim.

Pete, that's really cool! :yes: Congratulations!

Wayne! :rolleyes: You are so bad.

Attached is a photo I took of one of the very coolest guys I met when I was out visiting my son in California. I took a glider ride with him two different times at Tehachapi. I just loved him (and his hat :D).

Congrats Pete! :thumbsup:

I've always wondered what it would be like to go out in a glider, I don't think i could do 5hrs though. I'm trying to think at what time in that long of a flight my backside and lower body would fall asleep...:D

Way to go Herr Pete!

btw, what was the fuel burn for the entire flight?? :rofl:

No more questions of this witness. The guy looks like his IQ is at least room temperature. He could make it appear even lower if he unrolled the brim.

Wayne, I think you're just crankier today because the cow-pie flinging at Cedar Mills was postponed. ;)

silver:
50 km distance
1000 m altitude gain
5 hrs duration

gold:
300 km distance
3000 m altitude gain

diamond
500 km distance
5000 m altitude gain.

so if you have no badges, and complete your diamond badge and get 5 hr duration, you will be awarded silver, gold, and diamond badges.

5 hr duration is also required for Gold.
If you get the Silver distance and altitude, and the Gold distance and altitude.. but you have not stayed aloft for 5 hrs.. one has not "completed" the requirements for either.

You only need one five hour duration flight to count for both.

Diamond Goal, is a 300km declared distance with up to 3 predeclared turn points and to a DECLARED destination. It can be a one turn point out and return. But you have to make the declared points and destination.

Many people complete the 300km Gold Distance and 300km Diamond Goal in the same flight.

Diamond Distance, 500km, can be out and return.. or straight out flight to an undeclared destination.

Shall we talk about the "A", "B", "C" and Bronze Badges? More for the "Student" Glider Pilot to correspond to having reached certain training levels.

well the A badge is basically having solo'd. B Badge is for a half hour soaring flight after tow release. I think the C badge requires a couple of 1 or 2 hour solo flights. Have to prove that you can actually soar.

Wayne, I think you're just crankier today because the cow-pie flinging at Cedar Mills was postponed. ;)

I'm accustomed to beating the locals out of their lunch money, feel like I got cheated.

I'd actually like to fly a glider, if you didn't have to wear those damn-fool hats. They are the best way I can think of to look about 70 IQ points dumber than you really are.

Ah, yes... the "Gilligan factor"... :D

But how dumb is it to be able to fly for 5 hrs off a $40 tow? :wink2:

Way to go, Pete!! :thumbsup:

Well I guess Tony let the cat out of the bag. After getting the distance and climb leg done lat week, I decided to attempt the duration leg on Saturday.

The weather has been absolutely phenomenal for almost two weeks around here. I probably could have done the 5 hours last week Monday, but my bladder had other ideas. This time I came prepared (2 gallon zip loc bags), and launched around 12:15 pm.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1318262873

I got off tow around 1600' AGL, and more or less climbed straight to 7000' MSL. You know it's a good day when you get to cloud base that fast. Once up there I joined a friend of mine in the club 1-26 and hung around for a while.

For the rest of the day I kept finding good lift all over the place, and around hour 3 I started to think that I could make it. At around hour four I was glad to have brought the zip locs, but I will spare you with the details :D. Once my PDA showed me 5 hours of duration, I just burned off the remaining altitude at best glide, which still took 20 minutes to burn off the remaining 5000'.

This time I actually remembered to bring my camera, so here are some of the best pics.

the rest of the photos can be found here http://picasaweb.google.com/vontresc/SilverDuration

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1128_1.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Well I guess Tony let the cat out of the bag. After getting the distance and climb leg done lat week, I decided to attempt the duration leg on Saturday.

<...>

IMG_1119.JPG

Is that the MKIV yaw string, or are you still limping along with MKIII technology?:goofy:

WTG Pete!

I found out about this when Pete called me yesterday and said "I just flew all day for less than $6 an hour." :goofy:

One o' these days...

hey! pete got confirmation today that his application was approved. Badge is in the mail! woohoo!

i keep mine pinned to my hat. unless im doing something formal (like getting married) and then i pin it to my lapel or some other prominent location.

What you mean to say that you didn't wear your floppy glider hat during the wedding????

Alright, Pete, Thanks for leaving off the pee pic too!

Well I got the actual pin from Hobbs yesterday.

attachment.php

Time to get your stuff submitted Adam :D

Attachments

• Silver.JPG
    Silver.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 61
Congrats Pete... but if we are showing pins.. (same as a coin challenge in the military) here's my Silver.. #6041

Attachments

• silver 1-26.jpg
    silver 1-26.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
So I take it a empty Gatorade bottle is an essential?......Congrats Pete...that sounds like fun man!

Back