Congenital Heart Condition, Any Shot at Class 1?

cbh898

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cbh898
Hello

I was born with a congenital heart condition (tetralogy of fallot with pulmonary atresia) that was surgically repaired as a baby. I’ve always wanted to become a pilot but have no idea if I could even get a medical to pursue it. I’ve had regular follow ups with my cardiologist and besides slightly reduced exercise tolerance, I am completely fine and free of any symptoms. Is this something the FAA would consider issuing an SI for?

"[C]areful consideration of surgical and perisurgical history, historic and current cardiac function testing, history of ectopy and arrhythmia, exercise tolerance, and epidemiological understanding are all necessary to assess the aeromedical risk of an airman with tetralogy of Fallot."

See page 11:
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...signee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201104_color.pdf

This presentation concludes with "Pt received a special issuance FAA Flying Class 1 medical certificate," so it's possible:
http://asmameeting.org/asma2013_mp/pdfs/asma2013_present_514.pdf

Sounds like you have a pretty good chance to me. I would do a consult with @bbchien before you do a real exam. For a reasonable fee he will review your records, tell you your likelihood of passing a 1st class exam, and have you get all your records together in order to submit, plus have you get any tests likely needed done for submission at the exam, greatly speeding up the process if necessary. For your condition, I would travel to him, have him do the exam so he can follow up with the FAA if needed. I hope you have good luck with this.

If it was surgically corrected ages ago and you've not had problems since, you're likely not to have any big problem, but I agree you should discuss this with a knowledgeable AME as others have pointed out.

Hello

I was born with a congenital heart condition (tetralogy of fallot with pulmonary atresia) that was surgically repaired as a baby. I’ve always wanted to become a pilot but have no idea if I could even get a medical to pursue it. I’ve had regular follow ups with my cardiologist and besides slightly reduced exercise tolerance, I am completely fine and free of any symptoms. Is this something the FAA would consider issuing an SI for?
Hello

Surgical repair?

This is certainly not the normal cardiac case, but I have seen some crazy ones over the years. This is one where you will need to educate the FAA on the condition first, and the provide testing that support your asymptomatic and stable condition. That SINGLE submission will go to a cardiac panel assembled at the FAS office. I would recommend working with an aviation attorney, that way we can develop a comprehensive and persuasive submission.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back