Confusion on medications (hydrocodone)

• Thread starter Interested In Flying
  • Start date
I

Interested In Flying

Hi all, I've been interested in obtaining my private pilot certificate for a while. Overall, I'm in good health, my only issue is 3 herniated disks in my lower back due to motor vehicle accident. NOt bad enough for surgery, but had been a source of pain for a while until I got it under control through phys. therapy, losing weight, and working out. I assume that the back problem shouldn't be an impediment to getting a private pilot's certificate? My other question relates to pain medicine I was on prior. I was taking hydrocodone for my back pain (no longer) for about a year or so, on an as-needed basis. I know currently taking hydocodone is a big no-no, but will that present a problem at all that I used to take it for an extended period of time? I haven't taken it in about 4 months or so. I was a bit confused. Is there a waiting period if you've been taking it?

I had been doing alot of googling and didn't find definitive answers to my question. I found that its obviously a problem if currently taking. I also found you have to wait two years or something like that for substance abuse problems. I don't fall in that category either, but didn't know if the length of time I took the pain medicine would be a concern or not. I guess I was afraid the medical examiner would say "Oh, he was on hydrocodone for a year, he must have had an addiction!" I'm hoping to start my lessons at the end of the summer.

Other than that, no other health issue, no other medications except some vitamins. I have pretty much full mobility now with my back. I have to watch lifting heavy loads and such, but other than not being able to play rugby anymore, no physical restrictions.

Thanks in advance!

As you pointed out, flying while currently using Hydrocodone is forbidden.

The good news is that the "drying out" period is a lot shorter than four months... I think. I am not a MD so wait for the Docs to give you the answer.

-Skip

thanks for your responses! That's exactly what I was wondering what the "dry out" period was. For instance, I figured they may not accept it if say I got the exam and had JUST stopped taking the meds. But if it had been months, I was wondering if that was sufficient. I didn't want to start taking the lessons, then go for the exam only to realize I'd get shot down and needed to wait longer.

Well, Dr. Bruce said this about morphine in Nick's thread
Cessation of the underlying condition and 72 hours off the dope.
so I would think that there would be no concerns about the drug itself. And you did indicate that you had the underlying condition under control through non-drug therapies, so you should be okay there. You did mention the possibility that the AME might see the extended use as a red flag for addiction. I can't comment on that, though if you're not reporting any addictions on the form, I don't think he can (or will) go diagnosing them just based on that use. (Okay, so much for not being able to comment :))

Thanks Grant, that was helpful. On the morphine thread you quoted, was this for a new pilot? Or was it for an existing pilot asking when he is "airworthy" again? Just curious. I figure it wouldn't be a problem, but you never know and I was worried that seeing the time period they'd think there may have been a problem. But yeah, the problem is well documented (a few MRIs) so there was a definite medical reason. Those medicines are no fun, so I sought other methods to actually alleviate the problem rather than mask the symptoms. I read and re-read the FAA stuff of that type of stuff (Drugs and Drugs of Abuse) and to me, it wasn't quite clear. To me, it (abuse) was defined (for legal drugs, not illegal since there is never a medicinal reason to use illicit substances) as usage with no medical need, usage even with negative consequences (harm to your body, loss of job, arrest, etc), inability to go off medication w/o withdrawals. For me, it was easy to go off as soon as I had the pain under control through PT and losing weight. I just stopped needing them and stopped taking them.

So from what I'm gathering, as long as I show that I have other methods of controlling the pain, it should be okay. So how does that work? Will the AME ask me if I've ever used certain medications? And then ask for details? Or do they only ask what you are currently taken and if abuse was ever a problem? I think I also read if you sought counseling for it, then this would be a red flag. I know many people claim injuries so they can use certain meds, that was my concern, I don't want to be lumped with that group. People will exaggerate pain, even hurt themselves, to get some meds. I definitely have all the reports, MRI, doc evaluations, etc to back up that I did have a bonafide medical condition (not a vague pain) and that it would cause said problems. It'd just suck if b/c of that, I have to wait 2 years (been waiting 15 years already!!!) Thanks agin for taking hte time to help me out.

Well, Dr. Bruce said this about morphine in Nick's thread
so I would think that there would be no concerns about the drug itself. And you did indicate that you had the underlying condition under control through non-drug therapies, so you should be okay there. You did mention the possibility that the AME might see the extended use as a red flag for addiction. I can't comment on that, though if you're not reporting any addictions on the form, I don't think he can (or will) go diagnosing them just based on that use. (Okay, so much for not being able to comment :))

If you are not taking narcotics now and don't anticipate having to use them regularly in the future, the drugs you were taking should be a non issue. On the medical form there is a place to list medical visits for the last 3 years. I'm assuming you will have some related to your back. Bring a letter from your treating physician that says you had the back injury due to a MVA that was treated with conservative management including physical therapy, exercise and weight loss with good results. There are NO nuerologic deficits, No medications currently needed and has No restrictions to activities of normal daily living or activities as tolerated.

With a letter like that and an otherwise normal physical exam at the AME exam, I'd issue the medical.

Barb (AME)

Bring a letter from your treating doc, make the AME's job easier. If it says, "No rx's issued since December 2007" or the like, it's a slam dunk.

What FAA is leery of, is the "dribble user" who takes for three days, then one here, then one there.....then ....well you get it.

As to the herniated discs, not a technically a problem. I had surgery on 2 of them and hold first and second class medicals, and have taken oxycodone/oxycontin to manage pain presurgically, however, since you haven't had surgery, I'd have a bit of concern over hitting major turbulence. I've taken some pretty major hits that have racked my entire body, and aircraft seats are not very protective for this. If you take a hard enough hit, it could cause you debilitating pain. Just something to think on....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back