Confusing Tower Instruction

Daz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
Recently at KBED, I received the instruction “Line up and wait 23, traffic is a warrior on a right base for a 2.5 mile final”. Question is, if only 23 was active at the time, why is traffic on a right base a concern for me? Surely, tower would want a no-delay take-off, no?

Well ... you could key the mike and say, "what's the hold up son?" or just reply with a correct readback of the instructions given. Who knows what their reason was but they obviously had one. :)

to be blunt, I don't see anything confusing about that instruction.

Why would the tower want a no-delay take-off?

to be blunt, I don't see anything confusing about that instruction.

Why would the tower want a no-delay take-off?
Agree, but why would they want a line up and wait?

"line up and wait", tower wants you on the runway and ready for TO but for some reason there's a slight delay.
The other info is the "traffic on base for 23", they are letting you know there's traffic that may be a concern to you in time since your back is to the traffic.
Look up the accident at LAX some years ago when one jet landed on top of a turboprop while waiting on the runway for TO.

No confusion here.

"line up and wait", tower wants you on the runway and ready for TO but for some reason there's a slight delay.
The other info is the "traffic on base for 23", they are letting you know there's traffic that may be a concern to you in time since your back is to the traffic.
Look up the accident at LAX some years ago when one jet landed on top of a turboprop while waiting on for TO the runway.

No confusion here.
Got it, thx. I just assumed there would be a link between the “line up and wait” and the traffic. Especially considering that once I line up and wait, I’ve lost visibility to the traffic on final.

To expedite your departure while traffic/vehicle ahead clears. They are required to issue the traffic already cleared when they put you in position. Perfectly normal
That makes sense, thx!

To expedite your departure while traffic/vehicle ahead clears. They are required to issue the traffic already cleared when they put you in position. Perfectly normal

Especially at Bedford. I think the tower was telling him about the base traffic so he would understand he didn't have time to dilly dally once he was cleared for takeoff. Plus seeing an aircraft close in while being told to line up and wait would have me a little concerned without that acknowledgement from the tower.

I'm guessing you departed prior to the Warrior landing?

It could be the line up and wait was because there was traffic crossing the runway, to give separation with a previous departing aircraft.

I don't think it's confusing.

The LUAW was simply because the controller didn’t have approved or anticipated sep in front of you yet. The traffic issued, while might seem conservative, is required for anything within 6 miles same runway and requesting the option or unrestricted low approach.

Reactions: Daz
Preceeding landing traffic hasn't cleared the runway yet? Preceeding departing traffic isn't far enough ahead? They want to cross the runway with a taxiing aircraft? There is a vehicle on the runway they are waiting for to clear? Controller amusement?:D

Last edited:
The LUAW was simply because the controller didn’t have approved or anticipated sep in front of you yet. The traffic issued, while might seem conservative, is required for anything within 6 miles same runway and requesting the option or unrestricted low approach.
Any traffic within 6 miles

d. When an aircraft is authorized to line up and wait, inform it of the closest traffic within 6−flying miles requesting a full−stop, touch−and−go, stop− and− go, option, or unrestricted low approach to the same runway.

While you are getting lined up, the previous aircraft is taxing off the runway. The controller is subtracting the seconds it takes you to cross the hold line and become lined up with the centerline from the equation. Once you have taken off he can issue a landing clearance to the aircraft on RT base.

Any traffic within 6 miles

d. When an aircraft is authorized to line up and wait, inform it of the closest traffic within 6−flying miles requesting a full−stop, touch−and−go, stop− and− go, option, or unrestricted low approach to the same runway.
That’s very helpful. Thank you!

Not confusing to me. Like others have said, the controller was waiting for the proper separation.

Things that would make a LUAW situation necessary:

1. another aircraft has just landed but not exited the runway
2. separation behind a previous departure
3. vehicle on or crossing the runway
4. awaiting IFR release (which I wouldn't do because it isn't guaranteed ATC will get it before the guy on base is about to land)

I’m pretty sure the tower was filming an episode of Street Outlaws: No Prep Wings and wanted to see a good drag race.

Once you have taken off he can issue a landing clearance to the aircraft on RT base.
Are you saying the right base traffic can’t be cleared to land until the departure is gone? Sort of sounded like it. If so, that’s not correct.

When they mention traffic landing they ether want you to wait or step on it

In your case it was to line up and be ready to go right meow

Again, mentioning the traffic (6 miles or less) is a policy requirement. Has nothing to do with trying to get a pilot to wait or speed up.

Especially at Bedford. I think the tower was telling him about the base traffic so he would understand he didn't have time to dilly dally once he was cleared for takeoff. Plus seeing an aircraft close in while being told to line up and wait would have me a little concerned without that acknowledgement from the tower.

Yeah Bedford is very busy a lot of the time and they like to get people moving.

So, there was something keeping you from being cleared for takeoff that had nothing to do with the traffic that was called out (a prior landing needing to clear the runway, another plane crossing runway, etc.), hence the line up and wait. Traffic call was relevant so you knew to be ready to get moving once you were cleared.

Recently at KBED, I received the instruction “Line up and wait 23, traffic is a warrior on a right base for a 2.5 mile final”. Question is, if only 23 was active at the time, why is traffic on a right base a concern for me? Surely, tower would want a no-delay take-off, no?

Was the warrier on right base for 23 or 29? You didn't say in your post how the controller phrased it. Regardless, LUAW is an order, no pilot discretion there.

off topic, but since the controllers are here....

Last flight I got cleared to land while still 4 miles out on a base and then they immediately after told a plane in the pattern to extend downwind. The other plane could have landed twice before I got there. Only differences were, I was the faster aircraft (not really relevant I was so far out still), and I was full stop, they were doing pattern work. But it was out of whack enough it was noticeable. I kinda felt bad. Thoughts on why they did that?

Who knows. Maybe a vehicle needed to inspect the runway, they were cutting a new ATIS, amending a flight plan, thought you were an Ovation :) or were training/not on their game. Tough to say without being in the cab.

In addition to what as already been said, some controllers are better than others.

Back