Confused on this approach ? Insight ?

If flying the ILS:
1600 is where you would intercept the GS if you are not down to 1544 by then. If you get it at 1600 you can ride it down to 1544 where you would be at aprox the FAF.

If flying the LOC:
2100 until established inbound, then descend and maintain 1544 until the FAF where you start to head down to your mins

Why 1544 for localizer ? Doesn't that line just mean it's a marker on the ils glide slope ? And isn't 1600 only for the glide slope ( for precision approaches FAF ) as well ? I would have thought for the Localizer you stay at 2100 until at the FAF . Can you explain a little more as to why ?

Last edited:
Why 1544 for localizer ? Doesn't that line just mean it's a marker on the ils glide slope ? And isn't 1600 only for the glide slope ( for precision approaches FAF ) as well ? I would have thought for the Localizer you stay at 2100 until at the FAF . Can you explain a little more as to why ?
You stay at 1600 until PQF for the LOC approach. The 1544 is not an altitude restriction for either the ILS or LOC. It is telling you that if on glideslope, over PQF, you should be at 1544 feet. It's a good checkpoint to detect if you are on a false glideslope or if something else isn't right. Like maybe your altimeter is wrong.

You stay at 1600 until PQF for the LOC approach. The 1544 is not an altitude restriction for either the ILS or LOC. It is telling you that if on glideslope, over PQF, you should be at 1544 feet. It's a good checkpoint to detect if you are on a false glideslope or if something else isn't right. Like maybe your altimeter is wrong.

Hmm...I guess I got that wrong too. Looking at it again you can tell easily because the 1600 is underlined. It IS a little confusing- most approaches have that altitude at the FAF.

So just so I'm clear- if flying the LOC you would stay at 1600ft until PQF, then descend? But on the ILS you are starting the descent when getting the GS?

Hmm...I guess I got that wrong too. Looking at it again you can tell easily because the 1600 is underlined. It IS a little confusing- most approaches have that altitude at the FAF.

So just so I'm clear- if flying the LOC you would stay at 1600ft until PQF, then descend? But on the ILS you are starting the descent when getting the GS?
Yup.

Luvflying is right. THe 1600 is your stepdown altitude (because it is underlined) toward the FAF.

To clarify a little bit more (in case anybody needs it):
The 1544 is a smaller number only as an informative figure, it is NOT a stepdown altitude.

If there was no GS at that rwy and only the LOC signal, you wouldn't see the 1544 on the chart and the 1600 would be written and underlined next to the FAF.
(example here: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1702/05457L17R.PDF)

Back