Conflicting info about FOI/AGI

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
I opted to get my AGI. Written passed, but when I checked on whether or not I needed a *new* fundamentals of instruction written, I have gotten conflicting answers. I have a CFI which proves I've taken the FOI test, but my CFI has been expired for nearly 10 years.
Thoughts?

I opted to get my AGI. Written passed, but when I checked on whether or not I needed a *new* fundamentals of instruction written, I have gotten conflicting answers. I have a CFI which proves I've taken the FOI test, but my CFI has been expired for nearly 10 years.
Thoughts?

You are fine. Even though the CFI is expired, doesn't have any bearing on this.

Contact your FSDO and talk to them about it.

Once you've taken the FOI and received any instructor rating (ground or flight) you don't have to take the FOI again.

Thanks... The folks at Gleim told me otherwise. Perhaps they were trying to sell another course??

61.213 (4)(b)(1)

(b) The knowledge test specified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section is not required if the applicant:

(1) Holds a ground instructor certificate or flight instructor certificate issued under this part;

Last edited:
61.213 (4)(b)(1)

(b) The knowledge test specified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section is not required if the applicant:

(1) Holds a ground instructor certificate or flight instructor certificate issued under this part;

However, since the OP's instructor certificate has expired, does he actually HOLD a CFI certificate?

Wondering what the definition of "holds" would mean here.

:dunno:

OK...sounds good. Just wasn't sure in comparing a pilot cert that never "expires" versus a instructor cert that does.

The only thing that expires is the privilege to use it, it can be reinstated.

IOW, the CFI is a valid certificate unless revoked or surrendered.

The only thing that expires is the privilege to use it, it can be reinstated.

IOW, the CFI is a valid certificate unless revoked or surrendered.

I think you might want to review the FAA's regulatory definition of "valid" in 14 CFR 61.2. Note in that regulation that "valid" means the privileges may be exercised. So, an expired flight instructor certificate is not "valid", although that does not change the answer to the original question.

I think you might want to review the FAA's regulatory definition of "valid" in 14 CFR 61.2. Note in that regulation that "valid" means the privileges may be exercised. So, an expired flight instructor certificate is not "valid", although that does not change the answer to the original question.

:rolleyes2:

He still holds the certificate until surrendered or revoked. The regulation says "holds", nothing about "valid".
---I know, confusing, but welcome to Legalspeak 101.

He still holds the certificate until surrendered or revoked. The regulation says "holds", nothing about "valid".
---I know, confusing, but welcome to Legalspeak 101.

Exactly. Which is fortunate for the OP, because an expired flight instructor certificate is no longer valid even if it is still held.

Back