Confirming ADS-B out is working

tigerowner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tigerowner
Is there a method to confirm that my plane's ADS-B Out is working, other than a bench test?

I have the Freeflight 978 UAT Out system installed, however I am not seeing TIS-B traffic consistently via my Stratus 2S. The traffic is displayed sometimes, intermittently, or not at all. Foreflight says that my "ownship" is detected, however I've confirmed that I'm not seeing some planes that should be shown as TIS-B targets, as demonstrated by my Mark-2 eyeballs, within Class B airspace (i.e., heavy radar coverage)

So it seems possible that a) I'm not transmitting all the time, b) the Stratus 2a has a problem, or c) both. Is there an option D that I'm missing?

Is there a method to confirm that my plane's ADS-B Out is working, other than a bench test?

I have the Freeflight 978 UAT Out system installed, however I am not seeing TIS-B traffic consistently via my Stratus 2S. The traffic is displayed sometimes, intermittently, or not at all. Foreflight says that my "ownship" is detected, however I've confirmed that I'm not seeing some planes that should be shown as TIS-B targets, as demonstrated by my Mark-2 eyeballs, within Class B airspace (i.e., heavy radar coverage)

So it seems possible that a) I'm not transmitting all the time, b) the Stratus 2a has a problem, or c) both. Is there an option D that I'm missing?

Per the FAA ADS-B website, E-mail 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov with your N-number, ADS-B transmitter and GPS make/model numbers to find out if your equipment is working.

The email address Brad mentions works well, with a fast response that is easy to understand.

Another way is to fly somewhere ifr or with flight following, and the look at the data for your flight on FlightAware. For me, FlightAware indicates that my position came from their ADS-B receiver network.

The email address Brad mentions works well, with a fast response that is easy to understand.

Another way is to fly somewhere ifr or with flight following, and the look at the data for your flight on FlightAware. For me, FlightAware indicates that my position came from their ADS-B receiver network.
That only works if FA has receivers nearby. The FAA route uses all of the official ground stations. Depending on the altitude and part of the country, it's easy to be too low for adsb reception. The FAA has a map if you do a quick Google search.

Im looking but unable. Where/how is it indicated?

Thanks,
N215TG

With the Stratus 2 and your FreeFlight system up and running, you should see that the device status on ForeFlight shows your N number as being detected as own ship. On the map view, tap the status icon (the gear) and then Device>Stratus> Scroll to ownship, you should see your N number as it is being broadcast from only a dozen feet away. Tap next to the N number, and display the detail of what your aircraft is broadcasting. It will show your location, pressure altitude, velocity, transponder code, and a bunch of other parameters. If they are red in color, your unit is not compliant. Green indicates the parameter is compliant. I have attached some screenshots from my aircraft to show what you should see.

7083n own ship 1.jpg

7083n own ship 2.jpg

7083n own ship 3.jpg

With the Stratus 2 and your FreeFlight system up and running, you should see that the device status on ForeFlight shows your N number as being detected as own ship. On the map view, tap the status icon (the gear) and then Device>Stratus> Scroll to ownship, you should see your N number as it is being broadcast from only a dozen feet away. Tap next to the N number, and display the detail of what your aircraft is broadcasting. It will show your location, pressure altitude, velocity, transponder code, and a bunch of other parameters. If they are red in color, your unit is not compliant. Green indicates the parameter is compliant. I have attached some screenshots from my aircraft to show what you should see.

View attachment 42687

View attachment 42688

View attachment 42689

Thanks John, that's very helpful. It doesn't look like I have the ability to add an attachment, however I compared my "ownship" data to yours. Mine are green except for "1090 In" and "978 In", those two are red.

Thanks John, that's very helpful. It doesn't look like I have the ability to add an attachment, however I compared my "ownship" data to yours. Mine are green except for "1090 In" and "978 In", those two are red.

That means your avionics installer needs to change the configurations so they are green. The way they are set, they signal to the ground station that you are not capable of receiving on 1090 or 978. Since you are configured to indicate to the ground station you have no receive capability, it does not bother to send you any TISB, why should it? Have the avionics installer set them both to yes and you will see your nearby TISB traffic.

......Another way is to fly somewhere ifr or with flight following, and the look at the data for your flight on FlightAware. For me, FlightAware indicates that my position came from their ADS-B receiver network.

From flightaware...and for this flight I wasn't on flight following or and IFR plan.

Attachments

• flightlog.JPG
    flightlog.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
So it turns out that I have to wait a bit. The Freeflight 978-TX devices does NOT transmit the plane's capability to receive "In" data, therefore the TIS-B data is not sent. They never intended it to do that.

However they are apparently releasing a software update in January to take care of this problem.

Bottom line, it's not sufficient to just be "Out" compliant to receive the full traffic picture and as it stands as of today, the 978-TX system is lacking the capability to tell the FAA that it should send everything.

Grrr.

So it turns out that I have to wait a bit. The Freeflight 978-TX devices does NOT transmit the plane's capability to receive "In" data, therefore the TIS-B data is not sent. They never intended it to do that.

However they are apparently releasing a software update in January to take care of this problem.

Bottom line, it's not sufficient to just be "Out" compliant to receive the full traffic picture and as it stands as of today, the 978-TX system is lacking the capability to tell the FAA that it should send everything.

Grrr.

Isn't this just a configuration issue?
And without this critical feature, why would anyone buy this product?

Isn't this just a configuration issue?
And without this critical feature, why would anyone buy this product?

This should be a configuration issue. However the parameters cannot be changed. Until they release the SW upgrade, the device doesn't trigger the ground station to send TIS-B data.

This should be a configuration issue. However the parameters cannot be changed. Until they release the SW upgrade, the device doesn't trigger the ground station to send TIS-B data.

I get that, but why would they release a product like that? Isn't it like selling a car with no wheels?

Freeflight still hasn't released the software upgrade to fix this. They are now saying March. I don't know what to believe anymore however I am not happy that I purchased this unit.

The software was released a few weeks ago. Way late on schedule but finally done. Things appear to be working correctly now, as I no longer see TIS-B targets disappearing. I confirmed via both Foreflight and the FAA technical report that the "In" capability is reflected in the transmission from the device.

Back