Conducting a runway inspection from the air

Tommy3

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Hello fellow pilots--

I'm planning a trip out to Fischers Island (0B8), which is currently unattended and has been since the end of October. One thing I'm intending to do is conduct an inspection of the runway prior to landing, given Hurricane Sandy, the possibility that assorted crap could have found its way onto the runway, etc., etc.

Any tips on the best way to do this? You think just keeping a close eye on the runway during the downwind is sufficient? Or should I do a low pass? I've just never done this before. Thanks!

Low pass, just as if you were landing. Perhaps a bit right of centerline so you can look over the runway to the left. Make it slow, but still safe. The most important section to inspect is the first third where you will touchdown and your speed will be highest.

Will you be in a high wing or low wing?
Is there anyone in the area that you could contact in advance and have them inspect it for you?
I would do a ground effect flight right of center and then if everything checked out I would still plan for a short field landing to minimize the runoff.

And if you do this, make sure you look at the local noise abatement requests. You dont want to buzz some neighborhood where the folks that decide about the future of the airport live.

Do your low-pass for the inspection at a reasonable speed, possibly with flaps out. You want to see what's on there, give yourself some time, no point 'inspecting' if you dive down and zoom down the runway at 140kts.

And if you do this, make sure you look at the local noise abatement requests. You dont want to buzz some neighborhood where the folks that decide about the future of the airport live.

Do your low-pass for the inspection at a reasonable speed, possibly with flaps out. You want to see what's on there, give yourself some time, no point 'inspecting' if you dive down and zoom down the runway at 140kts.

Of course, since the entire aerodrome is closed, you should probably mask your tail number, as well.
!BDR 12/046 0B8 AD CLSD

Maybe go at night too just to be safe.

!BDR 12/046 0B8 AD CLSD

Maybe go at night too just to be safe.

!BDR 12/046 0B8 AD CLSD

It was mentioned like three times now that the airport is closed, hence the word 'if'.

Well. That makes things easy. Good tips for future inspections, anyway. Thanks.

Notam'ed closed ...:eek: Yuck...

What I do when I need runway info at remote small airports is call the sheriff that is local to that area... Every time they have driven out and either the officer or the dispatcher called me back with a runway condition... Maybe it's an "out west ' thing .:dunno:

It was mentioned like three times now that the airport is closed, hence the word 'if'.

Actually it was 'like' once...the post before yours. Guess I missed it too. Settle.

Notam'ed closed ...:eek: Yuck...

What I do when I need runway info at remote small airports is call the sheriff that is local to that area... Every time they have driven out and either the officer or the dispatcher called me back with a runway condition... Maybe it's an "out west ' thing .:dunno:

That is an 'out west' thing. Just like the sign at the airport terminal: for fuel, ring city police at 5423 (without giving the number for the local exchange).

Another 'out west' thing is to notam the runway conditions and then to forget to cancel the notam after 'braking action nil' and 'pillow drifts' have been taken care of. A lot of these places dont have an airport manager, someone from the board or at city hall just does it on the side.

I'm trying to fing the NOTAM that states 0b8 is closed.... can't find it.
I believe that the airport is un-attended and that one of the two runways are closed but the last notam for that location that I can find is !BDR 11/119

Please someone tell me whay I'm wrong, maybe I don't really know how to check these. I went on Pilotweb part of FAA website.... plugged in 0B8...

Fischers Island is a great trip...

Bob

As for the OP...

I flew in Alaska for seven years. Recon of a landing area before landing - short of an attended airport - was standard fare for me.

High recon then low recon. A full pattern staying high on the upwind too, checking things out, looking for wildlife (moose or caribou will ruin your day in an airplane, however fun it is to see 'em, and if there is a large flock of waterfowl hanging out at the runway threshold or a bunch of geese browsing the nicely mowed runway grass I want to know about it) then configure for slow flight, flaps 10 or 20 and a low pass. How low? Well you don't necessarily need to drag the runway. Low enough to see potential foreign objects and large holes, and to visualize your potential go-around on landing. I also flew at a constant speed to measure the landing area if I didn't have good info on length. Speed? Not too slow. If trees are a factor beware of offsetting to the right too much ;)

No need to be in a hurry to land. At unfamiliar strips with a length or ground conditions that was at all doubtful I might do two or three low passes.

Now I realize the vast number of aviators on here won't be landing on unimproved short landing strips not listed in the A/FD, or off airport, ever, but there are plenty of places down here which are sleepy and where problems on the runway might go undetected for hours or days. And almost everywhere has large ungulates of some species or another running around the woods nearby. NORDO aircraft taxing below, or lawnmowers, ATV's, kids playing on the runway. In the winter, uncertain snow or ice conditions. In the rain, poor drainage and standing water.

A high then low recon may be overkill most of the time. Sometimes simply paying attention to the runway and its immediate surroundings on crosswind or midfield, downwind, base is enough. Maintaining proper lookout. At my home gravel airstrip (which happened to be a registered airport with weather reporting) constant hazards of wildlife and also service vehicle traffic on the runway, busy summer helicopter ops, and in the winter weird snow conditions, plus very squirrelly winds and rising terrain at one end, enforced a sense of caution and seldom did I skip a very close look at the strip before any attempt to land there.

Last edited:
In any event, I ended up going to Montauk and following alaskaflyer's suggestions. There was a deer on the taxiway but nothing else.

Very quiet and beautiful up there this time of year.

Back in the day, when we were still flying pteradactyls, runway inspection (Dragging the Runway) was a required maneuver on a checkride.

Shep

Back