Condensation on Vacuum gauges

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
This is the second time I've noticed this now. I have a Reiff 100W cylinder base pre-heater & engine blanket to keep my cylinders around 120*F plugged in continuously during a humid Wisconsin winter. A couple times recently I've noticed condensation on the inside face of the DG and AI. Once I start up, it dissipates pretty quickly and the AI stabilizes after a minute or two. I assume having water in the gauges is pretty bad, so without recommending a G5, is there something I can/should do to mitigate this?

Maybe heat up the inside of the cabin? A few degrees can make all the difference

Move back to Colorado.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I have a small ceramic heater in bottom of the cabin, under the panel that I turn on when I get to the hamgar. 20 min or so of preflight and the instruments are warmed up as well as the cabin. It’s never on unless I’m working in the hangar.

I do not believe your engine heater is the cause of this and I have never seen condensation in these instruments. I would call an instrument repair station and see what they say.

Still having this problem ?
Yep, just had it today. Even if I preheat the cabin, the condensation is still going to be there for much of the time, unless I leave the cabin preheated which sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Is anyone else on the field experiencing this too?

Last edited:
My old preheat setup included a little space heater, like a round tower about 14” tall, all safety like and would shutoff if it got too hot or fell over, I’d put it by the rudder pedals, plus my engine heater that blew up through the cowl flaps and a engine blanket (all non aviation) combined total of like under $100 and got the whole plane ready to rock. Now I don’t really fly if that’s required.

Back