Concerta vs adderall

Frank Franklin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Frank
Question, I’m writing a report for school on DOT drug testing. From what I’ve read methylphenidate isn’t included on the DOT drug test? Why is this it’s used and abused in the same way as adderall... maybe a question for @bbchien or another AME on this page. Just seems odd to me.

Question, I’m writing a report for school on DOT drug testing. From what I’ve read methylphenidate isn’t included on the DOT drug test? Why is this it’s used and abused in the same way as adderall... maybe a question for @bbchien or another AME on this page. Just seems odd to me.
There’s actually quite a bit of things the standard dot test doesn’t detect. Among these are all benzodiazepines, oxycodone, hydrocodone and many more. The test is setup to detect “opiates” (morphine, codeine, heroin). Methylphenidate isn’t a true amphetamine so it will not show up on the dot test, it’s just a stimulant. In order for methylphenidate to be detected a urine sample would have to be sent to a lab to test for all the extra substances which the standard dot misses. The DOT test is a joke and is very outdated. Hope this helps with your report.

There’s actually quite a bit of things the standard dot test doesn’t detect. Among these are all benzodiazepines, oxycodone, hydrocodone and many more. The test is setup to detect “opiates” (morphine, codeine, heroin). Methylphenidate isn’t a true amphetamine so it will not show up on the dot test, it’s just a stimulant. In order for methylphenidate to be detected a urine sample would have to be sent to a lab to test for all the extra substances which the standard dot misses. The DOT test is a joke and is very outdated. Hope this helps with your report.
I was reading they finally added semi synthetic opioids such oxycodone and hydro codone, is that true?

One of the drugs I get periodically tested for is Methylphenidate. It has to go to one of a few labs that do the testing, and it’s an expensive test. The reason I get tested is I have a use history with Ritalin. I doubt they’d generally test for it as, though it has potential for abuse, it’s not as commonly misused in the eyes of the FAA.

One of the drugs I get periodically tested for is Methylphenidate. It has to go to one of a few labs that do the testing, and it’s an expensive test. The reason I get tested is I have a use history with Ritalin. I doubt they’d generally test for it as, though it has potential for abuse, it’s not as commonly misused in the eyes of the FAA.
Thanks for the info, being in college I see it being passed around a lot , not quite as much as adderall but still. Do you mind if I ask what size of a panel teats for it?

It’s not part of a standard panel when I’m tested for it. When I am tested I also get a 10 panel, but my urine sample for the methylphenidate goes into a separate vial to go to the lab.

Thanks for the info, being in college I see it being passed around a lot , not quite as much as adderall but still. Do you mind if I ask what size of a panel teats for it?
Question from someone naive about the drugs in question...

Why are the college kids taking adderall? How does it help a "normal" person not suffering from ADD?

Question from someone naive about the drugs in question...

Why are the college kids taking adderall? How does it help a "normal" person not suffering from ADD?

So think of it like test scores

someone with ADHD might be at a 60% with adderall they boost up to a 70%

someone without ADHD might be at a 70%, with adderall they would boost up to a 80%

so the person with ADHD is taking the medication just to pass, the person without ADHD is taking it to get a better score

So think of it like test scores

someone with ADHD might be at a 60% with adderall they boost up to a 70%

someone without ADHD might be at a 70%, with adderall they would boost up to a 80%

so the person with ADHD is taking the medication just to pass, the person without ADHD is taking it to get a better score
Okay... but brain chemically, what is going on to make that happen?

That I don’t know, let me do a night of research and get back to you.

Many college students engage in nonmedical use of prescription stimulants (NPS) because they believe it provides academic benefits,

We cannot rule out the possibility that NPS prevented declines in GPA, but we can conclude that students who engaged in NPS showed no increases in their GPAs and gained no detectable advantages over their peers. The results suggest that prevention and intervention strategies should emphasize that the promise of academic benefits from NPS is likely illusory.

From this, it appears like a perpetuation of bad info amongst the young'ns. The story that the drug does help keeps getting passed along. But the science says otherwise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back