##$@!!!*&^ Computers

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I becoming convinced that there is a vast (or at least "half vast") both wings computer conspiracy to drive me nuts (maybe it is only a short putt). See "Computer Spook & Transvestite Computer). Now I seem to have a desk top that thinks it it a laptop (the door bell is ringing - they're coming to take me away!!!!

I recently made (or began) the transition from dial-up internet connection to a cable internet connection and a wi-fi LAN. Two computers are working fine on the LAN. The third one is driving me nuts.

First, I bought a Belken USB wireless adapter for it. It worked but the sensitivity was to weak for consistent operation. By comparison, my old transvestite laptop, equipped with an equally old Linksys wireless card works great at the same physical location, about 60 ft. on the same level and through 4 walls from the router. The laptop frequently shows more tha 90% signal strength. I thought that, since the Linksys in the laptop worked so well, I'd take the USB adapter back and get a Linksys card. I got a Linksys PCI card and installed it and have been beating my head against the wall for 3 days as well as spending much time on the phone with excellent technical support from Linksys. After trying everything thinkable including Linksys concluding that the card must be bad and telling me to swap it for another new one, the problem is unchanged. The computer says that it is installed properly and enabled. Their downl oadable diagnostic says that it is installed properly and working. The problem is that it detects zero signal. One of the techs finally noticed that the message that appears "No detectable networks" and suggests making sure that the computer's wireless switch is on is a Windows message for laptops and should not appear on a desktop. Many laptops have a switch or function key combination that disables the wireless. My desk top obviously is not a laptop so there is no way known to turn the wireless switch on.

It is a homebuilt with a ASUS P5A-B mother board and an AMD K6-2 550 CPU (just about the fastest available at the time). I guess now I can try Microsofts technical support and see if I can get any enlightenment there.

If anyone has any ideas, please - please jump in. I guess one possibility is to convert this computer into a boat anchor and buy a new one.
If this keeps up, I'll have to change my login name. The Grau in Graueradler refers to my gray hair. Soon I will have pulled it all out.

Well, Microsoft tech support agrees with the boat anchor solution. After quite a bit of try this, now do that and some sort of group consultation, they finally told me that it appears to be an incompatibility between my old (about 8 or 9 yrs) computer and a present generation PCI wireless adapter. I think maybe I'll spend a little money on the external wireless antenna suggested above before I proceed with a new computer. If I get a new computer, I think I'd better grab one before all those with XP are gone so I won't have to go to Vista.

Well, Microsoft tech support agrees with the boat anchor solution. After quite a bit of try this, now do that and some sort of group consultation, they finally told me that it appears to be an incompatibility between my old (about 8 or 9 yrs) computer and a present generation PCI wireless adapter. I think maybe I'll spend a little money on the external wireless antenna suggested above before I proceed with a new computer. If I get a new computer, I think I'd better grab one before all those with XP are gone so I won't have to go to Vista.

I have an AT&T WiFi card that I'll lend you for trouble shooting purposes. PM me an address for you.

I think you'll still have trouble because you have driver issues...but this card will have different drivers.

Back