Computer startup problems

KRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KRyan
I have a "generic" tower type PC. It's pretty old (5-6 yrs). When I push the on/off button, the LED that usually lights on startup lights then shuts off. If you hold the switch down, it blinks. Each time it blinks, you can hear the hard drive start, but it starts and stops with the blinks.

I thoght I had a bad switch, but I replaced it, and the same thing is happening.

Any thoughts on what the culprit is here?

It is probably a power supply or motherboard. If you have a computer shop nearby, they can test the power supply for you. If it is anything but a power supply, it is time for a new computer.

Ditto on the power supply or mobo. Have had both failures present themselves in this way. Grab a new desktop for ~299 and pull the hard drive from your old one and put it into the new one (or external enclosure, assuming the hard drive connector is not the same, IDE, sata, ata, etc).

I agree, most likely a power supply or motherboard issue. Are you getting any audible beeps? If so, it may be a memory issue as well

I'm going with power supply also. I'll even wager that it's the 12V rail that's dead.

Get a voltmeter (preferably an old-fashioned, needle one) and check the voltages using an unused Molex.

If they check out, then check them again (especially the 12V) while starting the computer. An initial dip is normal as load is applied, but it should come right back up again. If it doesn't, then the PSU is hosed.

Do not, under any circumstances, pull the P-1 connector from the mobo and try to test the voltage from there. A power supply that has no load on the P-1 will instantly go up in smoke. Literally.

-Rich

Back