Computer Recs

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Hello all,

Just thought I'd check in to see if I can get a recommendation from you fine people about computers.

With this whole work-from-home thing going on, its becoming all too clear that my current laptops is not cutting it in the professional world. So, I am in search of recommendations for a laptop that will run AutoCAD but will not force me to sell blood to finance this purchase.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. But, as previously mentioned, it should be a laptop.

Thanks in advance!

I have run AutoCAD, SketchUp and different programming IDEs (not at the same time) on both the Dell XPS 15 9550 and 7590 with the i7 processor. Both of them were running 16GB of RAM and seemed to do fine.

my experience with Dell here
Be sure to read post #90 where they wanted their money back after my successful Amex dispute.

Last edited:
It's doubtful you're going to find a laptop capable of running Autocad well for less than 2 AMUs list. However, there are a lot of sales, presumably due in part to a reduction in demand as some students delay attending college until they can actually attend college.

Something like this would probably work:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/602317/powerspec-1720-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

You probably should be looking at gaming laptops because the requirements to run high-end games are similar to those to run CAD/CAM software.

Rich

Last edited:
Back