Computer operating systems

bbchien said:
But I was hoping to do my office on Mac as I have just eternal problems with XP crashes in which I end up physically destroying the data on the Hard Drive.

Sigh.

What software were you running on your XP machines in your office? Was it the same software that was crashing in VPC on your Mac?

I've got years and years of experience with both, maybe I can help you get it squared away.

OK guys, I feel like I asked for a sip of wine, and got drowned in vinegar.

Brian Austin said:
Well, once again, we're not talking apples to apples here. Mike was talking about a homemade box, not an off the shelf purchase. Can you build your own Mac?

Huh? I missed something. I'm talking just plain ol' off-the-shelf stuff, not anything specific from Mike's message. And no, you can't buy components and build your own Mac. No biggie to me, I'm a laptop-only guy these days anyway.

Brian Austin said:
Apple has it down for hardware...but then again, there isn't nearly the hardware choices available for the Mac that are available for PC's.

Nor are there the software choices - But who needs to choose from 273 different picture browsers, for instance, when you've got the best one pre-installed? For the occasional specialized software, VPC does do the trick. My VPC has some engineering software on it, and it works just fine.

Brian Austin said:
Uhm...same here. No admin password needed since it only goes to one site. As long as the update is run from an admin account, of course.

That's just the problem - If the OS doesn't require the admin password, it leaves itself vulnerable to viruses, trojans, and worms installing themselves. I don't want anything to be installed on my computer without me approving it via password.

Brian Austin said:
Actually, I was referring to antivirus software, not audio/video stuff.

Oh. Oops. You must forgive my misunderstanding - I don't have any antivirus software. Don't really need it on the Mac. :D

Larry, the software itself is very, very stable. It's a commercially available A/R manager for NT/XP networks. What keeps dying is that the computers get infected despite current Norton, Ad-Aware, and Spy Assassin, with this and that and then I get to do a rebuild.

At the house, I just reinflated from the external drive, a drive image from June 9 and extirpated my 15 year old's latest flu bug. But I can't be doing this at work. "wincfg52.dll" is not an XP driver. It came from the internet.

At work, the three essential datafiles are kept in daily duplicate, off site...the financial files, the consultation files, and the scheduler file. I can in fact reinflate the installations now due to having the "path" pointed out my master Andrews of this board (thank you, Mike). But it takes time to reinflate everything. Time when the office is "down", and when I need to be able to continue functioning as a Doc, not as a Sysop. And, I'm too small to be able to afford a 70K/yr sysop.

Sigh.

flyingcheesehead said:
Huh? I missed something. I'm talking just plain ol' off-the-shelf stuff, not anything specific from Mike's message. And no, you can't buy components and build your own Mac. No biggie to me, I'm a laptop-only guy these days anyway.
Well, you took the post out of context then. I was addressing Mike's post on how hard it was to install XP with a bunch of custom hardware. YOU then took it to mean off the shelf stuff in your reply to me. Out of context = apples to oranges, Kent.

bbchien said:
Larry, the software itself is very, very stable. It's a commercially available A/R manager for NT/XP networks. What keeps dying is that the computers get infected despite current Norton, Ad-Aware, and Spy Assassin, with this and that and then I get to do a rebuild.

At the house, I just reinflated from the external drive, a drive image from June 9 and extirpated my 15 year old's latest flu bug. But I can't be doing this at work. "wincfg52.dll" is not an XP driver. It came from the internet.

At work, the three essential datafiles are kept in daily duplicate, off site...the financial files, the consultation files, and the scheduler file. I can in fact reinflate the installations now due to having the "path" pointed out my master Andrews of this board (thank you, Mike). But it takes time to reinflate everything. Time when the office is "down", and when I need to be able to continue functioning as a Doc, not as a Sysop. And, I'm too small to be able to afford a 70K/yr sysop.

Sigh.
Quite honestly, Bruce, you're just not set up correctly. The initial expense is going to be relatively large but you need someone to come in, redesign the network to meet your security needs and then give you some basics on maintenance.

As far as security goes on my ever growing, three office plus a bunch of remote user networks, I look at the logs once a week. If it's critical, the management programs just e-mail me anyway. This includes antivirus and spy/adware, as well as anti-spam. If I get something in the e-mail, I deal with it. Otherwise, there isn't much to do on that end.

That said, I do NOT use XP settings straight out of the box. I tailor everything to our network. Again, initial time/expense was relatively large compared to normal operating costs...but the last year has had very, very few unscheduled outages based on workstations/servers, including hardware failures (less then 15 hours in a year, never more than 2 hours at a time and never an all-encompassing outage (ie folks could still work on some things)). It CAN be done.

Ahh, yes, the classic suck up all available time scenario.

I remember the old Microsoft slogan, "Where do you want to go today?" and the answer we all screamed back at the TV, "HOME!"

I don't know how practical it is, but you might consider removing all the floppy and CD drives and cutting off internet access to your office computers. No one should have admin privileges at their workstation either. ( you are running XP Pro, right?)

If you are having problems with VPC or your G5, I'll lend what advice I can.

bbchien said:

Sigh.

Computer is a complicated machine, not an appliance. Go buy a book on winxp and another one on hardware, read it and you wont have any more problems. I've been building my own since about '94, all self taught. I read two books, one on windows os and the other on hardware. I've never had a virus and I've always been able to fix what's broke. So far winxp home has been the easiest, most relieable os I've used. Imagine trying to drive your car or fly your airplane without ever having read the manual or had someone explain to you in detail what to do. Thats what most people do with computers, with the anticipated result. There's nothing hard about it, ya just gotta read the manual.
If you download ****, your gonna get viruses and spyware. There's anti virus software availabe everywhere and you can go to www.lavasoft.com and download ad-aware for free. It'll get the spyware.
Backup your data, gather the drivers for all the hardware you have and format the sucker and reload everything. Sometimes ya just gotta nuke it. If you dont have winxp home, go buy it.

NC19143 said:
What do you think of this system, I'm getting pretty sick of MS, viruses, and al the BS that goes with them.

http://www.linspire.com/

Computer running in safe mode, getting ready to dump the whole mess..

AirBaker said:
There is something to be said about buying name brand parts and keeping your computer simple. This goes back to the ole Soundblaster vs. 'Soundblaster compatible' days. Somethings work the way they're supposed to and others just don't. I've found my (self built) PCs as stable as anything else I've come accross. The rest of my family gets excited about having every application and gadget installed on their computers. And, they just crash... a lot!

From what I've seen: Brand names mean squat nowadays for the most part unless it's propriatory hardware/software which often causes more grief than anything. Open one up and take a look at the names inside sometime. You're probably not buying what you think you're buying. It may not always be the case but I've seen several from assorted brand names straight out of the box that that had assorted guts from the lowest price vendor of the day.
My compaq laptop (all orig parts) has a toshiba 3.5" FDD and WD hard drive, modem and memory card are aftermarket something or others. The only all brand name I have is my 1984 Apple IIe excluding the printer card and joystick/paddles.

All my PC class computers from day one have been home built mutts that are a LOT more reliable than brand names for roughly the same price give or take $200 or thereabouts. The current mutt has been fully operational since day one (2003) with zero failures running XP Pro. I know 3 other people that insist on well known brand names and they've gone through 8 machines since I bought mine just trying to keep ahead of the catastrophic crashes. I just keep cruising along.

My basic blunt straightforward advice that I give others because I hate seeing people get jerked around by uneducated sales slime:
Do your homework.
Hardware: Get what hardware you need and keep it simple. Ignore brand names, get what you need that works together. Most of the generic stuff out there will work with most of the other generic stuff out there within reason. If you buy an absolute bottom end hard drive to save $5, well, you get what you pay for.
OS: Install the OS yourself from master disks (NOT preinstalled with restore disks available because factory stamp-em-out employees following procedure know squat about what you are actually going to do). You need a blank unformatted HD and the master install disks. THEN load in the necessary patches.
Security: LOCK you computer down. WinXP defaults do not protect you. (GRC is a pretty good start and you'll be ELECTROCUTED, not shocked, when you find out how much windows max security leaves your system wide open). Antivirus and firewall is mandatory.
Operating: Security and not getting hosed (at least via software) is mostly about behavior. Don't install junk just because an internet supplied window pops up saying install this cause you need it. Think before clicking. Avoid sites that are likely to load stuff onto your system or acts suspicious. You also do not need 1689 text fonts, or 50 special instant-there buttons all over your screen when a bookmark window will get you there in two clicks vs one, or other such nonsense. That's just asking for trouble. Firefox has a nice setting to block popups and more importantly a teeny little check box to NOT allow sites to install software. If you have other people around, you MUST teach them to not do things. If you can't get others to cooperate, put in a $30 slide out rack with your own personal HD and take it with you when you shut down. Those things slide out in 5 seconds flat and if they're not in the machine, you can't get screwed by someone else's behavior.

First install (assuming XP Pro and the security stuff I've added) when you don't know what you're doing to be completely setup right takes probably 2-3 hours since you're in the learning curve. Second time is probably 45 minutes total though most of that is just waiting for the CD to finish loading.

My two marbles worth.

fgcason said:
From what I've seen: Brand names mean squat nowadays for the most part unless it's propriatory hardware/software which often causes more grief than anything. Open one up and take a look at the names inside sometime. You're probably not buying what you think you're buying. It may not always be the case but I've seen several from assorted brand names straight out of the box that that had assorted guts from the lowest price vendor of the day.

I can mostly agree with that statement. I'm more referring to avoiding the OFF brands instead of just the name ones.

It works for me. Your mileage may vary... :)

Back