Computer Naming Conventions

This is an interesting discussion. Thanks.

I once had a Dell service tech come replace a failing network part at our server. This was before virtualization. He saw the labels on each machine, which were Greek mythology names, and made the comment that this sort of naming convention was a good idea, since it didn't reveal the role of the machines, as opposed to naming them fs1, dc1, etc. Security by obscurity.

Do you agree? Or do you think in a business environment naming them for their function is a better plan?

If a hacker gets that far inside, the nickname of the server is the last of the worries. Alternately, naming a system; "allmycreditcleartextinfohere" might be a bad choice. :yes:

Once worked on a system where the most proprietary information was stored as an executable on the release disk. The name of the file, KILLDATA.exe.

Star Wars characters

The printers are C3PO and R2D2.

We have a server named Yoda and a box named Luke where the client software is installed (term server) for connecting to Yoda.

I usually name my computers something friendly - this one is Fred. But I like to have fun with my wireless network because my neighbors can see that. You know, like "FBI Surveillance Van #7". I was "Secret Underground Base" for a while, now I am "Romulan Mothership".

I usually name my computers something friendly - this one is Fred. But I like to have fun with my wireless network because my neighbors can see that. You know, like "FBI Surveillance Van #7". I was "Secret Underground Base" for a while, now I am "Romulan Mothership".

My cell phone hotspot is named FBI Surveillance, too!

I haven't worked for a company that allowed interesting server names for years.

City code, server role by three character ID, three digit server number is the new one. Old one was datacenter two character code, server type in plain English shortened if needed to initials, two digit server number.

Some server virtualization systems assign their own names as virtual machines are added and destroyed.

I usually pick a logical name based on what it does. If its a Linux machine, I call it TUX-DC1 for example. ..that is a Linux domain controller.

If its a database, I will use SQL in the name. Windows machines will start with WOM (waste of money)

Family Guy characters. Network is the Drunken Clam

I remember the good old days of whimsical server names...too buttoned up these days.

Use to have names like COYOTE and ROADRUNNER, they're like OAKFIL01...blech.

Yeah, that was the goofball Textron approach. We let the users name their own machines and the servers had rather functional names like: BUILD, CCASE, SHAREPOINT, etc...

After the great regorg user machines go that matched their property tag number...mine was TSSTGAF013076 the servers got names like txsstgdbs002

I haven't worked for a company that allowed interesting server names for years.

City code, server role by three character ID, three digit server number is the new one. Old one was datacenter two character code, server type in plain English shortened if needed to initials, two digit server number.

Some server virtualization systems assign their own names as virtual machines are added and destroyed.

Nate,

I see you have the same rules we follow here

Nate,

I see you have the same rules we follow here

Heh. It's nice to know Corporate standardization knows no boundaries. And probably is just as useless in your organization, too? ;)

It keeps a lot of useless drones in jobs, though... they write pretty papers about the standards and have lots of meetings about them.

Funny thing, they're nowhere to be found during server outages... And the resources to pay them could be spent really well on redundant server tech and storage.

But businesspeople feel better with mountains of paper. So much so, they're willing to pay for it.

Heh. It's nice to know Corporate standardization knows no boundaries. And probably is just as useless in your organization, too? ;)

It keeps a lot of useless drones in jobs, though... they write pretty papers about the standards and have lots of meetings about them.

Funny thing, they're nowhere to be found during server outages... And the resources to pay them could be spent really well on redundant server tech and storage.

But businesspeople feel better with mountains of paper. So much so, they're willing to pay for it.

http://www.firespring.com/about_us/careers.html/title/linux-systems-administrator

If a hacker gets that far inside, the nickname of the server is the last of the worries. Alternately, naming a system; "allmycreditcleartextinfohere" might be a bad choice. :yes:

Unless it's a honeypot loaded with malware... :D

Whatever you think will help you identify what that computer/devise is or it's use should do the trick.

Back