Computer ground training

TommyG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
On another forum I always see this guy advertise a ground school program, http://passfaaexams.com/
The demos, even the one I found on Youtube don't seem too bad.
Does anyone have any experience with this program??
I would like to know if the full program is worth it, I like to check things out for myself before I reccomend or endorse them to my students.

On another forum I always see this guy advertise a ground school program, http://passfaaexams.com/
The demos, even the one I found on Youtube don't seem too bad.
Does anyone have any experience with this program??
I would like to know if the full program is worth it, I like to check things out for myself before I reccomend or endorse them to my students.
I have no experience with them. I want to note, though, that they are geared to passing the exams, NOT getting a comprehensive ground school!

Not saying that there's anything wrong with that or that they are misrepresenting anything. Just that it is NOT sufficient to be a safe pilot!

For the most part, all of the video, and computer stuff, king, sporty's, etc is geard to just get you pass the written.
The key is to have understanding of what is covered in the written and pass it which all of the courses do, and with that understanding to pass the written, does carry over to real world use. I took all my writtens probably in under 20 minutes each time. All I did was use the gliem disk and memorized all the questions.

Haven't they change the test that is not a set bank of questions anymore? Seems they have to have a test bank perhaps it was enlarged greatly.

Haven't they change the test that is not a set bank of questions anymore? Seems they have to have a test bank perhaps it was enlarged greatly.

I'm talking back in 1994 through 1998 when I took the writtens. So it was the bank of questions.

I have all my students use the king programs, anything they dont get, they look up in "from the ground up" (http://www.amazon.com/From-Ground-ASA-Training-Manuals/dp/1560274522), anything they still dont get they bring to me.

This process has produced quite a few students, not one of which has EVER failed a written or oral exam.

FYI, I'm also not affiliated with any training systems or whatnot, just a CFI who found a process that worked for me, your mileage may vary

My ground school shopping list for my guys

current FAR/AIM (with tabs made up)
King program (older craigslist ones work great for money minded folks too)
from the ground up (good book for PPL-ATP)
sectional chart
E6B and a aviation ruler

everything else can be downloaded (like AFD pages) for free.

Do you think we could trace the accident reports to find out the percentage of accident pilots that took a weekend course?

I have no experience with them. I want to note, though, that they are geared to passing the exams, NOT getting a comprehensive ground school!

Not saying that there's anything wrong with that or that they are misrepresenting anything. Just that it is NOT sufficient to be a safe pilot!

I agree with Tom and Grant. Most of the programs are geared to passing the written test and nothing more. I strongly suggest a comprehensive ground school that covers all of the knowledge material needed by pilots.

Check out the Gold Seal Online Ground School at www.OnlineGroundSchool.com. Registration is free and gives you access to roughly a third of the modules without any charge. And note, they aren't demos - they are the full, complete lessons, totally free. If you like them, enroll for the full course for just $77.

Gold Seal was the first internet-based ground school and has over 21,000 registered members.

Well I have not personally used the passfaaexams software but I did end up speaking with them and purchasing their written prep course for my 18 year old son. He had already tried the Kings and did not like it at all. He did enjoy the passfaaexams course and after a week of going through it he scored an 82 on the instrument written. I have found their customer service outstanding, especially their main instructor, Lucas. He was very helpful with all my questions and my sons questions. He also told me it would be better if my son started lessons for the instrument before taking the test, but you know how kids are... He is now well on his way to becoming an instrument rated pilot and I think we owe it in part to their software.
I will be a repeat customer and purchase the commercial test prep for me and my son.
Finally as I said before I have no affiliation with PTS other than my son being a satisfied customer.

Back