Computer Components advice...

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Ok, I'm going to put together a computer which will have three functions. Sound recording using Sony Acid Pro 6, Photo Manipulation using I guess PS CS, and flight sim using ???, but want capability to use MSFS X to its max potential. I also don't want to spend a fortune. Need advice on boards and suppliers that won't break the bank. Anyone???

Thanks

Go visit the CompUSA stores around Atlanta. They're all going out of business and have some great deals on computers and components.

I'd also visit Microcenter and Vision.

want capability to use MSFS X to its max potential. I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Define "fortune". What's your budget? Even using NewEgg and building it yourself (which is what I do), this isn't going to be cheap. The video cards that MSFS X likes for "max potential" are $500 and up, and for true "MAX potential" you'll want a motherboard that can support TWO of them swapping frame generation.

Which is why I'm still using MSFS 2004 even though I have MSFS X. :)

Define "fortune". What's your budget? Even using NewEgg and building it yourself (which is what I do), this isn't going to be cheap. The video cards that MSFS X likes for "max potential" are $500 and up, and for true "MAX potential" you'll want a motherboard that can support TWO of them swapping frame generation.

Which is why I'm still using MSFS 2004 even though I have MSFS X. :)
It's the high cost of video cards why I suggested checking with CompUSA. I just bought some Monster Cable products for 30% off which made them a lot cheaper than online anywhere else I could find. Things will keep getting cheaper as the stores run lower.

The best game system from Microcenter's inhouse brand was $4300. They build some good stuff. If you went elsewhere to have it built, I'd suggest Vision Computers locally. They have the best reputation for service and reliability. If you build it yourself, then it's pieces from all over at the best rate. I'd use whoever depending on cost and shipping.

It's the high cost of video cards why I suggested checking with CompUSA. I just bought some Monster Cable products for 30% off which made them a lot cheaper than online anywhere else I could find. Things will keep getting cheaper as the stores run lower....
30% off the price of Monster cable means it's down to only 6 times as much as it's worth! Woot!

FWIW: I can't praise NewEgg enough. I've built a couple systems with components ordered from them and bought some other stuff. They're great. Fast service, good prices, etc. etc.

FWIW: I can't praise NewEgg enough. I've built a couple systems with components ordered from them and bought some other stuff. They're great. Fast service, good prices, etc. etc.

And returns are a breeze if something happens. Really great company.

Henning, If you post a budget I'd be glad to give you an entire list. Expect something around $900.

Henning, If you post a budget I'd be glad to give you an entire list. Expect something around $900.

To play Flight Sim X fully maxed out--I doubt it.

NewEgg is good. I've also had great luck with ZipZoomFly (they used to be known as GoogleGear until the IP lawyers over at Google got ahold of 'em).

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012
$122.99 + s/h $6.13

Processor E4300
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=E4300&c=fr&pid=61c17c9acf072d37dfad2bc91f2578e289ca3475b0feca2db52d0919a14cbaee
$163 + s/h$9.58

Cooler Aska EVO 120 quiet, light weight, great performance
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akevo120fori.html
$36.95 + s/h $5.00

Memory 2gig DDR2-800 http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4815800?site=sa:Hard%20Drives%20Memory:Spot6
$140

Harddrive 500gb SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144016
$139.99 free s/h

DVD burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136108
$28.99 + s/h$5.64

Video Card EVGA 8800GTS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130082
$270

Powersupply 550W 85% eff dual pci-e cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189006
$89.99 + $8.48s/h

Case Rosewill midtower/ 120mm rear fan (a must) and space for 2 fans in the side (it has good ventilation and is a sturdy case with a removable HD cage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147058
$29.99 +$1364s/h

Total 1064.73
This can easily overclock this to 3.2ghz with just a couple of changes in the bios. Contact me and I can walk you through it.
If you do not want to overclock I would recommend an E6600 processor @2.4ghz over the E4300@1.8ghz

To play Flight Sim X fully maxed out--I doubt it.
It was an off the top of my head guess. And nothing you can build will run MSFS maxed out. The parts do not exist. But the above post will get you as close as possible.

It was an off the top of my head guess. And nothing you can build will run MSFS maxed out. The parts do not exist. But the above post will get you as close as possible.

I'm willing to bet with someone else's checkbook I could max it out.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012
$122.99 + s/h $6.13

Decent, but he mentioned that he wants to play FS X cranked up. Two video cards with SLI would be the best way to do this. This board does not support SLI.

Decent bang for the buck.

jritt said:
I'd avoid Maxtor based on terrible reliability in the field. I have the real world statistics to back this up. I'd probably go Seagate (yes I know they own Maxtor). We also have good luck with Hitatchi and have few failures considering the situations we put them in.

jritt said:
Two of these with SLI is going to be the ticket.

jritt said:
Powersupply 550W 85% eff dual pci-e cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189006
$89.99 + $8.48s/h

I would go with a more reputable power supply manufacturer.

jritt said:
Case Rosewill midtower/ 120mm rear fan (a must) and space for 2 fans in the side (it has good ventilation and is a sturdy case with a removable HD cage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147058
$29.99 +$1364s/h

Nothing bugs me more than spending all kinds of money on a system and going with a cheap chassis. Spending money on a decent chassis is worth every penny.

I'm willing to bet with someone else's checkbook I could max it out.

See, that's what I love about Jesse- he sees without limits!

---

And, in my experience, you will not likely find any real bargains in the liquidation of closing CompUSA stores; the really valuable stuff they are transferring to the remaining locations. YMMV, but locally, the "deals" are all on crap.

MSFS does not support multiple video cards or multiple cores. The dual core processor will use one core for the game and the other core for the misc background stuff that windows wants to run. I have that case and even though the price is low its a good solid no frills case. The user reviews on the supply have been GREAT. Most reviewers are PAID to give great reviews on products so I view the with some skeptiseum

Last edited:
How much do you want to spend?

Want? $10. Willing? $1000. Also willing to delay FS total gratification for $700 with expandability as an option. Main immediate functions with be sound production and photo manipulation.

And, in my experience, you will not likely find any real bargains in the liquidation of closing CompUSA stores; the really valuable stuff they are transferring to the remaining locations. YMMV, but locally, the "deals" are all on crap.
I've seen what you're referring to at other stores. K-Mart did that with much of their closures here a few years ago.

I went by a couple of CompUSA locations last week (three times for one) and saw quite a variety of new boxes for sale including HP, Gateway and another I can't recall right now. I'm partial to HP. The same was true for all the printers. Heck, the Okidata color laser I paid $390 for is now there new in the box for $190 without a rebate. There or may not be some decent deals to consider. But, it can't hurt to look. I just wouldn't get any of the store brands.

They are closing all six locations here in Atlanta (three were built in the last five years) as well as many more across the country. No one can tell me why. I thought they were doing a booming business in this area. Now, all that business will drift to the Microcenters nearby in the Duluth and Marietta areas. The smaller shops will pick up the slack elsewhere but those are used mostly by the professional types. Most of the regular consumers head for the bigger name stores which means Circuit Blows and Worst Buys will pick up some sales.

I'm a Microcenter fan, though. I've done well there.

If you want to wait on the video card I can load you an ATIx300 card untill you want to upgrade. It will not play any games but it will do any other work. I'm not into an audio so I can't recomend if the onboard video is good enough or if you need to get a dedicated one.

MSFS does not support multiple video cards or multiple cores. The dual core processor will use one core for the game and the other core for the misc background stuff that windows wants to run. I have that case and even though the price is low its a good solid no frills case. The user reviews on the supply have been GREAT. Most reviewers are PAID to give great reviews on products so I view the with some skeptiseum

That is not exactly true.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/fsx-more-on-sli-and-multi-core.aspx

It does support it--just not well. That is going to improve over time and things should get better with SP1.

Outpost = avoid. At least in my opinion.
Do you say the same for Fry's Electronics? We have two of their stores here. I had forgotten about them. For me, their a price-only option if I already know what I want.

I've bought a few things there in the past, including two Hyundai monitors that bite. Other than that, a high-end inverter for the car that was on sale and a long power strip. I'm not all that fond of their customer service.

Do you say the same for Fry's Electronics? We have two of their stores here. I had forgotten about them. For me, their a price-only option if I already know what I want.

Well, the nearest Fry's is Austin. For general computer and electronics merchandise, it's the only real option for certain things.

As for price-only on Outpost, I tried to order something where they were best price. Then received an "out of stock" notice (with indefinite delivery) for something that was listed "in stock" on the web site. Then problems with customer service trying to get it straightened out. Then told 'em to cancel. Problems doing that.

I don't even see Outpost as a price option these days. It's just not worth it.

When I bought the HP Media Center box, I figured out what exactly I wanted and then hunted for price. One of my options was the price sites online. When I went to Buy.com, I was referred to one location but it had an alternate location for a hundred bucks less. I got even more curious and called that company directly. By the time all was said and done, I actually bought direct and paid $130 less than the best online price and only five bucks shipping for a three-day ground shipment. I'm happy!

Oh, and if you set up a Media Center box correctly... it beats the tar out of a dang Tivo box and subscription. I even get HD. :)

...Oh, and if you set up a Media Center box correctly... it beats the tar out of a dang Tivo box and subscription. I even get HD. :)

It will have most of the same functionality as a TiVo, but nothing has the well thought out UI and remote control. That's why I own 5 TiVos...and could add a couple more. I want one on every TV and the house is big.

I NEED to always have the 8 second jump back. I'd like that on life, if possible. I almost can't stand watching DVDs because jump back is hard to impossible.

Now if I could just get them to work together. I'm in for a lot of further hacking adventures.

BTW, Series 2 and Series 3 TiVos with net connects can now buy or "rent" new movies and TV shows from Amazon. I don't like the MPAA pricing and the "dies in 24 hours after you start watching" rental deal, but it's a nice start.

Actually you can also download to a PC with or without Media Center too.
http://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=U...tcast-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Last edited:
It will have most of the same functionality as a TiVo, but nothing has the well thought out UI and remote control. That's why I own 5 TiVos...and could add a couple more. I want one on every TV and the house is big.
Five Tivos??? Goodgriefgollygeewhiz!

Okay, now I don't feel like I'm overdoing it with six computers in a house that's only about 2500 sqft. Well, one's in the car. :)

Five Tivos??? Goodgriefgollygeewhiz!

Okay, now I don't feel like I'm overdoing it with six computers in a house that's only about 2500 sqft. Well, one's in the car. :)

One TiVo is on loan. One is on the way from my eBay buy yesterday. I just finagled a free install for that one from DirecTV. :p

Well if I counted computers including the old, old ones it would be more like 11 or 12. I actively use 3 or 4. I will give the Windows laptop to my niece as soon as I can get it into shape.

Last edited:

I've bought a few things there in the past, including two Hyundai monitors that bite. Other than that, a high-end inverter for the car that was on sale and a long power strip. I'm not all that fond of their customer service.

The thing to remember about Fry's is that Fry's and customer service are mutually exclusive. Been that way since they opened their first store in Sunnyvale in the mid 1980s (and I shopped in that location, too).

Now, if you want a nice, powerful system, prepare to spend $$$. The system I built in early February has the following:

E6700 Core(tm) 2 Duo uP. I work for Intel and got it for about 1/2 of the best price I've seen on-line.

ASUS P5W DH motherboard.

Seagate 250 GByte SATA drive

e-GeForce 8800 GTS video card. 660 MBytes RAM, not quite the performance of the 8800 GTX, but for $200 less I can live with it. Still just over $400 on-line.

2 GBytes RAM

I'd have to dig through my e-mail to come up with the sources, but when all was said and done, I bought from 5 on-line sources (including the uP from work) and two local stores (chassis/power supply from one, MS wireless keyboard and mouse from another) and spent just under $1800. You'd spend closer to $2000 as you'll pay about $600 for the uP.

MSFS X with all the realism sliders shoved to the right and it doesn't even breath hard. Running Vista Home Premium. Remember with Vista, RAM is your friend. :yes:

Even running as my primary machine, it is ranked 407 in the world on recent average credit on SETI@home. We've got a dual quad core Xeon machine at work that should work its way up to the top 20 if it is allowed enough time. :D

Have fun. Computers are like flying, you want speed, spend the bucks. :yes:

All this talk about a new PC (and FSX as a gift from the girlfriend) has given me the itch... I used to be way into hardware, but in the last few years I've lost touch... so what do you all think of the following?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz - $522.00

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR Mobo - $219.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB ( 2 x 1GB ) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel - $223.00

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOCE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card - $419.99

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $189.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply - $189.99

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $139.99

I've ordered from NewEgg in the past, so that's why I linked to them. Seems to me, though, that for just over $1800, this should be a screamer (I'd be running Vista.) Thoughts? Criticisms? My main question is about mobo... Is there any reason to continue with them and not Intel?

Looks good. Don't forget to add a DVD burner to the mix. At the very least you'll need it to load Vista. Which, by the way, you should be able to get for about $119 (Vista Home Premium, OEM) with your hardware order.

I would go with the 750GB Seagate SATA drives...with NCQ and perpendicular storage. I have one external version which works flawlessly. Actually I've never had a Seagate drive fail at work or at home in the last decade...or ever that I can remember. I think I own 14 or so personally.

I wish they would get the engineerin' done already and come out with 1TB and larger versions of the SATA drives.

I have new TiVos that have upgrades coming. I'll be shopping for the largest ATA versions directly. I need the largest drives I can get.

I think I figured that I have enough hours of stuff stored to hold me for 60 24 hour days of continuous watching but I ain't stopping.

Last edited:
Make the DVD drive a SATA. it makes cabling easier and looks better. If you can wait till APR 22. Intel is going to drop it processor prices by ~30%
processor............current .............APR22
Q6600...2.4mhz....$851.................$530
E6700...2.66mhz...$530.................$316
E6600...2.4mhz.....$316.................$224
E4300...1.8mhz.....$163.................$118

Last edited:
Looks good. Don't forget to add a DVD burner to the mix. At the very least you'll need it to load Vista. Which, by the way, you should be able to get for about $119 (Vista Home Premium, OEM) with your hardware order.

Heh, yeah, I guess that'd help. :p And I'm thinking I may just go the extra $80 or so for Ultimate OEM... Silly as it may be, I just like the comfort-factor of knowing I'm not missing anything. :D

I would go with the 750GB Seagate SAA drives...with NCQ and perpendicular storage. I have one external version which works flawlessly. Actually I've never had a Seagate drive fail at work or at home in the last decade...or ever that I can remember. I think I own 14 or so personally.

I wish they would get the engineerin' done already and come out with 1TB and larger versions of the SATA drives.

I have new TiVos that have upgrades coming. I'll be shopping for the largest ATA versions directly. I need the largest drives I can get.

I think I figured that I have enough hours of stuff stored to hold me for 60 24 hour days of continuous watching but I ain't stopping.

750GB? Hoo momma. Actually, I think I can be satisfied with 500GB. I have a 1TB RAID-5 NAS that I built for critical data (i.e. music and TV :D).

Make the DVD drive a SATA. it makes cabling easier and looks better. If you can wait till APR 22. Intel is going to drop it processor prices by ~30%

I probably won't buy right away anyway, so maybe I'll either look at a faster proc or be happy with the $$$ decrease. A little price decrease would make it a lot easier to swallow... And a SATA DVDRW would be nice. I'll add it to the mix.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

E6700 Core(tm) 2 Duo uP. I work for Intel and got it for about 1/2 of the best price I've seen on-line.

Does Intel, like Microsoft, limit employee purchases? Or can we do a POA group purchase through you? :)

Does Intel, like Microsoft, limit employee purchases? Or can we do a POA group purchase through you? :)

They limit them, and we're not supposed to re-sell them. Family only. I know I could make a lot of folks happy if that wasn't the case. Even with the price reductions claimed above (I'm not in marketing, I couldn't confirm or deny the accuracy of the claim) my price for the 6700 was less (even when you add shipping). But I could buy 1, and it's running the computer I'm typing this on.

Can I get empolyee pricing from Intel? I'm an emplyee (just not an Intel employee). :dunno:

Can I get empolyee pricing from Intel? I'm an emplyee (just not an Intel employee). :dunno:

I don't think that will work. :p You need all the right things to line up, like access to the Intel network and a valid employee number.

Back