Computer Class Questions

michael Killacky

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mikek
Once again, my girlfriend is stuck on a a few computer questions mixed in with her Vet Tech Class. The fact that these questions and subject matter seem pretty in depth for what she wants, nonwithstanding, Anyone that wants to hazard a guess is more than welcome. ( I tried to help, but I am an idiot).
1) What are the 2 primary functions of network protocol software?
A) Directing a user to appropriate information and identifying a computer.
B) Identifying a computer and establishing how it joins a network.
C) Protecting a computer from viruses and re-setting network passwords.

2) Programming language that serves as an interfaceto a datsbase is known as a(n) __________ language.
A) Query
B) Apllicative
C) Dataflow

3) Which of the following is the same in a Macintosh and PC computer System?
A) Mouse
B) Keyboard
C) Operating System

Thanks for any help. Just reading this questions questions gives me a headache. Somebody Once explained to me why I get the cool guy instead of capitol b's, but I didn't understand that either.LOL

Last edited:
First off. Let me start off by saying these questions suck.

I'm going to say A and B. Although this question really really sucks. It's pointless and has no great answer.

2) Programming language that serves as an interfaceto a datsbase is known as a(n) __________ language.
A) Query
B) Apllicative
C) Dataflow
A) Query
Also a really stupid question. I don't know of a language that I can't query a database with. Perhaps the writer thinks that SQL queries are a programming language?

A) Mouse
B) Keyboard
C) Operating System
A *really* stupid question. There is no correct answer. I can use a PC mouse on a Mac. A mac mouse on a PC. A PC keyboard on a mac. A mac keyboard on a PC. I can also use Windows on a Mac and I can use Windows on a PC. Hell I can even use Mac OS X on a PC.

*Most* official Mac mice are not like most PC mice.
*Most* Mac keyboard are not like most PC keyboards.
*Most* Mac's do not run the same OS as PC's.

I really do hope that the rest of her education is better than this.

This instructor needs to be hit really hard with a clue stick.

Prolly going for the idea that Mac mice have only only one button, so mouse is the wrong answer, but that's only until you use a two button mouse like I do.

B. Jesse, think 7-layer model. The stuff in A belongs to two different layers.

A) Query
B) Apllicative
C) Dataflow

A

A) Mouse
B) Keyboard
C) Operating System

Ummm. None of the above.

Mac mice traditionally have one button, PC mice traditionally have two.

Keyboard is probably the best answer, but Macs have Command (aka cloverleaf or open apple) keys and Option keys, where PC's have Alt and often Windows keys. Macs didn't used to have control keys way back in the day, but they have for quite a while now. Macs generally don't have the scroll lock/print screen stuff on F13-F15. So, plenty of differences.

They most certainly do not have the same operating system (Mac OS vs. Windows), no matter what Microsoft wants you to think. :rofl:

1. A It's been a couple of decades since I read an IP packet header, but it seems to me it identifies the information protocol and the sender and recipient computer addresses. My software used the packet header to decide what to do with the packet.
2. A Query language
3. B I agree that None of the Above is correct, but if one must choose this is the most nearly (kind of) (almost) (if you are really ignorant) correct.

Since this is a Vet class, I guess the instructor wants students to be able to recognize the difference between one-button and two-button mice. (What about 3-button and wheel mice?) I used a trackball with my first Mac.

First off. Let me start off by saying these questions suck.

They do. The person who is writing these quizzes know very little about computers and computer/data networks.

The protocol question is terrible. What type of protocol are they talking about a network transport protocol a media access one, etc. Seems that the test author is using their computer word of day calender and making stuff up as they go.

Last edited:
A & B
A) Query
B) Apllicative
C) Dataflow
A

A) Mouse
B) Keyboard
C) Operating System
None of the above IIRC. The mac mouse has (or had) one button, not two last I looked (which was a long time ago) and a different kb configuration. Someone more current on mac can set me straight.

Agree on #1.
A) Query
Also a really stupid question. I don't know of a language that I can't query a database with. Perhaps the writer thinks that SQL queries are a programming language?
SQL is a programming language. Structured Query Language

That said, there are other languages that you can use to query a database, but for most RDBMSs, you query the database using SQL or a variant.

Agree on #3 too. :)

Last edited:
The computer classes in this course are terrible and completely unneccasary. She already manages the clinic and can do whatever computer work she needs to do. Luckily, the biology classes, medication courses, etc., are pretty decent and she learns from them. I am amazed at the level of response around here and truly impressed with your collective knowledge. Thank You. Mike

Agree on #1.

SQL is a programming language. Structured Query Language

That said, there are other languages that you can use to query a database, but for most RDBMSs, you query the database using SQL or a variant.

Agree on #3 too. :)

I've always thought of SQL as more of an interface than a programming language. But now that I think about it you can write if statements, you can loop, etc. I suppose it could be considered a programming language. But it wouldn't really be on the same level as Java, C, which are 3GL. SQL is probably 4GL.

flyingcheesehead said:
B. Jesse, think 7-layer model. The stuff in A belongs to two different layers.
It depends on what you define "directing a user" as. I also interrpeted the question as saying it had to be two answers. Now that I read it again it should be one answer. Either way there still isn't really a great answer. "network protocol software" is a pretty broad set of words.

The questions are just wrong themselves.

Yeah... Those questions are... Wow. I don't know what to say.

I've always thought of SQL as more of an interface than a programming language. But now that I think about it you can write if statements, you can loop, etc. I suppose it could be considered a programming language. But it wouldn't really be on the same level as Java, C, which are 3GL. SQL is probably 4GL.

I can see that. If you look at SQL straight-up, it really is kind of difficult to consider it a programming language when comparing it to others, though technically it is. The fundamental language is declarative, so it's really more akin to HTML in that way, I guess. The real procedural, more "imperative programming" stuff is actually in the extensions (PL/SQL, T-SQL, etc). And most modern RDBMSs also have OO aspects to them, such as MSSQL enabling .NET stuff to be done and Oracle with Java. But yeah, I always get kind of weirded out when I hear people call themselves "SQL programmers" but I guess it's not that strange... I suppose I could even be considered one myself, I dunno.

It depends on what you define "directing a user" as. I also interrpeted the question as saying it had to be two answers. Now that I read it again it should be one answer. Either way there still isn't really a great answer. "network protocol software" is a pretty broad set of words.

Yeah... I actually read that question about 5 times... "directing a user"? What does that mean, anyway? It's that kind of weird pseudo-academic stuff that led me to quit school. Well... that and the fact that I couldn't pass a class to save my life. :p

Right.

This instructor needs to stop pretending to have any expertise and just keep the day job at Best Buy.

Clearly, the instructor here is subtly asking his students whether SQL is Turing complete or not.
-harry

Clearly, the instructor here is subtly asking his students whether SQL is Turing complete or not.
-harry
Or they might want the students to guess which is more NPC - the question or the instructor... :rofl:

Back