Computer-Building Forum

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I've had a site for quite a few years, Kitchen Table Computers, aimed at first-time computer builders. It was more of a hobby site and never really attracted much traffic until a few years ago, when I gave it a visual facelift.

Since the redesign, the traffic has skyrocketed, as has the revenue. But along with the traffic and revenue, the number of people who send me emails asking for advice about their computer-building projects has also increased astronomically -- to the point that I just don't have the time to timely answer them anymore.

Neither am I really in that loop anymore. I've gotten out of that end of the business, for the most part; so I'm not as current on the bleeding-edge stuff as I used to be.

So... I decided to put up a forum. I know it's a pain riding herd over a forum, but I hope it'll be less of a pain than researching and answering the emails. Also, I think once some more members sign up, they'll likely be more current than I am and able to provide better advice that I can.

I chose SMF as the forum software, mainly because it's free, I'm more used to it than any of the other platforms that are out there, and I've never had any major problems with it. Also, because of familiarity, I was able to modify a stock theme to blend it into the main site design in about ten minutes, and the entire forum took me less than an hour to make live.

If anyone here is into the computer-building hobby, please feel free to sign up. Based on the main site's traffic and the emails, I expect I'll get a bunch of bright, but clueless newbies signing up. It would be nice to have some seasoned talent sprinkled in, as well.

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/Forum/

Thanks,

Rich

Neat idea, but the grey on black theme is unreadable.:confused:

Okay, I lightened it up.

That's basically a stock theme with a few tweaks to make it match the rest of the site a little better. The the text stood out well enough on my monitors, so I didn't change it initially. Thanks for pointing it out.

Looks much more readable now :wink2:

Back