Computer Based FMS simulator

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
Anyone know where I can find such a thing? Something on the interweb would be nice...something free would be even nicer. Even just a training book of some sort would be great.

It's still a little while before I have to worry about it, but they're starting to train for the Q-400, and it sounds like the FMS is the one thing that catches former Beech pilots when they go for the training. That, and how to deal with flight attendants. I can't imagine they make a simulator for that, though.

Had to read the whole post. First thought was FMS = Full Motion Simulator. You're going to do that on a PC? And put it where?

FMS = Flight Management System. Oh, nevermind. :p

Universal Avionics may have tutorial software on the UNS-1C they can send you (what's installed on most Q400's). Here's a link to their contact page: http://www.uasc.com/contactus/index.asp

I know Rockwell Collins will e-mail their software to you on their FMS products if you request it.

If you have any questions on the UNS-1C, feel free to send me a message and I will relay it to my dad. He uses the UNS-1L (similar model) on the Citation XLS's he flies.

It's still a little while before I have to worry about it, but they're starting to train for the Q-400, and it sounds like the FMS is the one thing that catches former Beech pilots when they go for the training.
It would be good if you found out what brand and model of FMS they are using before you go out looking for a computer based simulator. They are like the different GPSs in that some of them are not all that intuitive, and they don't all operate the same way. I have used a computer based simulator for the Honeywell GNS-XLS. I know I got it from work, but I don't know where they got it from and I don't have it any more.

It would be good if you found out what brand and model of FMS they are using before you go out looking for a computer based simulator. They are like the different GPSs in that some of them are not all that intuitive, and they don't all operate the same way. I have used a computer based simulator for the Honeywell GNS-XLS. I know I got it from work, but I don't know where they got it from and I don't have it any more.

I was hoping there was some standardized style for them and that brand wouldn't matter...I guess that's my new homework!

Universal Avionics may have tutorial software on the UNS-1C they can send you (what's installed on most Q400's). Here's a link to their contact page: http://www.uasc.com/contactus/index.asp

I know Rockwell Collins will e-mail their software to you on their FMS products if you request it.

If you have any questions on the UNS-1C, feel free to send me a message and I will relay it to my dad. He uses the UNS-1L (similar model) on the Citation XLS's he flies.

Why would you know that??? :goofy::rofl:

I'll start asking around to make sure that's the one we use (like CJC would pay for something non-standard) before I trouble you and your dad, but I'll certainly let you know if/when I need help with it! Thanks!

Why would you know that??? :goofy::rofl:

I'll start asking around to make sure that's the one we use (like CJC would pay for something non-standard) before I trouble you and your dad, but I'll certainly let you know if/when I need help with it! Thanks!

That's a good question...I'm not quite sure. I just know most Q400's are equipped with UNS-1C's.

Definitely, let us know if you need anything.

I just found out today that it is, indeed, the UNS-1C. Through that link I found their FMS Simulator, so now I just have to check and make sure that it's the UNS-1C and not one of their other models and we're in business. And way cheaper than Lance's option! :D
:goofy:

I decided to try, Jason. They want a couple hundred bucks.

Reply from rockwellcollins.com said:
Thank you for contacting the Rockwell Collins Customer Response Center.

We do have a pilot's guide for the FMS 4200 available in paper and CD copy. The part number is 523-0778363 and paper copy is $260.00 each and CD ROM is $234.00 per copy. If purchasing, please provide a full company address, end user stated on a hard copy purchase order. I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day!

Regards, Lacey Hageman
TRACKING NUMBER: A00000746666-00001306349

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08 Mar 08 15:03:04
To: <response@rockwellcollins.com>
Cc: Subject: FMS4200 documentation?

Are there any training or "pilots guide" PDFs or software available for the FMS4200 that I could obtain?

I decided to try, Jason. They want a couple hundred bucks.

The Pilot Guide is different from the simulator software. If that doesn't work, just ask for a disk through your company's training department, they should have a few copies. My dad was just at FSI Orlando, I should have had him pick one up if they had any. It looks like he's upgrading to the Citation Sovereign (C680) within the next month or two, so he'll have to learn how the Honeywell FMS works, which from what I hear, is completely different than the Universal models.

Back