Composite life expectancy

I wonder if there is a design popular enough to make a set of molds for and lease them to builders?

It couldn't be less than a three hour tour, those boats are sloooow.:rofl:

Compared to what? Those old 12-meter boats are still faster than probably 90% of the sailboat fleet, although for most of that 90%, that's not saying much.

Given stormy weather, yeah, they probably wouldn't fare well, but they weren't designed to be all-weather sailors. Being they were designed for a single race, it's really surprising there are that many still around.

I wonder if there is a design popular enough to make a set of molds for and lease them to builders?
See what is showing up @ AirVenture.

The things I can thank of (Sportsman, Pelican, Lancair) seem to be kits where the shells are already made and one just glues it together (with the appropriate adhesive and reinforcing material) almost like a giant Revelle kit.

Compared to what? Those old 12-meter boats are still faster than probably 90% of the sailboat fleet, although for most of that 90%, that's not saying much.

Given stormy weather, yeah, they probably wouldn't fare well, but they weren't designed to be all-weather sailors. Being they were designed for a single race, it's really surprising there are that many still around.

There were a lot built, 12M for the AC started in 1958 IIRC. Probably more wood ones still around than aluminum.

Columbia Aircraft did one full scale fatigue test in which they put the wing through 171,000 cycles, the equivalent of 60 years of aircraft operation. Then this same test article was tested to limit static load, which is the highest one time load that the aircraft will ever see in service, then tested to ultimate static load which is over 2X utility limit load. They did that 6 times all at 175 degrees F. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Columbia Aircraft did one full scale fatigue test in which they put the wing through 171,000 cycles, the equivalent of 60 years of aircraft operation. Then this same test article was tested to limit static load, which is the highest one time load that the aircraft will ever see in service, then tested to ultimate static load which is over 2X utility limit load. They did that 6 times all at 175 degrees F. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Yeah, problem with accelerated tests in a hangar is the lack of environmental exposure which is the primary enemy of composite structures. UV and oxidation is what degrades plastics. There's no real question as to their strength when new, the questions arise after it's been on the ramp and up to altitude for 10+ years.

I remember reading something a long time back, so please do not jump on me if I get it wrong. There was something to the effect that some "glass" sailplanes were not stable over time when exposed to UV or high temperature, while others were cured at higher temperatures, and therefore were unaffected or much less affected by UV and high temp. One brand of sailplane, I think it was Blanik, had used such a high temperature curing process, and had apparently become more durable. Please don't shoot me if I got this wrong.

Back