Complicated medical history due to major misdiagnosis. SI possible?

T

Throwaway

Hello, I am considering trying to obtain my private pilots license, which would require me to hold a third class medical certificate. However, I’ve got a bit of a complicated situation and I want to know if there’s possibly a path forward before I waste my time.

The first issue occurred over 20 years ago. When I was a high school student. I mentioned to my family physician that I was a little stressed over school work and a recent break up with a girlfriend. My well-meaning, but misguided, physician decided to prescribe me this new wonder drug called Prozac. Unfortunately, as is often the case with adolescence, it had the opposite effect on me and made things much worse. It even caused me to attempt suicide which led to a three day hospital stay. After discontinuing the medication I had no further mental health issues. I was horrified at what I had done, to this day I still am ashamed whatever I think about this—especially the look on my parents faces. So that’s one issue that is going to have to be worked through.

The next issue is a bit more complicated.

In 2009 while living overseas I was sitting in a restaurant with all the sudden my heart rate shot up and I had a feeling of doom. I was immediately taken to the emergency room where my heart rate was resting at about 150 and spiking to 240. All tests at the emergency room were mostly normal, besides the elevated heart rate, so I was advised to consult with a cardiologist. In the next few days my health declined and I developed vertigo, tinnitus, weakness on the left side, double vision and neuropathy etc.

When no cause could be pinpointed I was dumped on psychiatry. I spent years being told that I had depression or anxiety—I was prescribed multiple medications (none helped). Finally in 2014 a psychiatrist referred me to a neurologist colleague. The neurologist ordered a brain MRI, which showed a very significant Chiari Malformation. Next I was referring to a neurosurgeon and was told I need immediate surgery.

My condition was pretty severe as my cerebral tonsils were literally wrapping around my brainstem and the pressure had my brainstem deformed. A flow study showed csf was nearly completely blocked at the base of my skull and I had elevated inter-cranial pressure. A neurological exam revealed multiple abnormalities.

I had surgery in early 2016 and it was like a miracle. Within 2 months I was suddenly a normal person again. 6 months later I had a follow up and my neurological exam was normal.

Since then I’ve not had any additional issues or problems nor am I on any medications. I’ve not walked through the door of any psychiatrist since 2015.

Basically, I spent years erroneously under the care of a psychiatrist and was treated for misdiagnosed depression and anxiety.

Is there anyway to recover from such a complicated history and obtain a SI for a third class medical?

So, in 2016 a condition that was amenable to surgery changed your life. Much of you life prior to the brain surgery could be ascribed to the increasing intra-cerebral pressure. If you are normal upon evaluations by FAA psychiatry, parapsychologists and possibly by neurosurgery and neurology ... you should be able to obtain your desire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back