Complex/HP insurance for low time private pilot

What is your current solo time subsequent to your PPL ?
Interestingly, I wasn't ever asked this question for the quote. I'll have to check my logbook for specifics but I think my PIC time is in the mid to high 40s. Passed my private check ride with less than 50 hours, but also did a seaplane rating recently which was more dual/non-PIC. Not sure on solo but probably on the lower side as most of my PIC time has been x/c with passengers and solo has been shorter local flights/landings, etc.

Looking at buying my first plane, honing in on a Comanche but also have been looking at and considering Bonanza, Mooney, even a Navion, etc. Well there's a Comanche I'm very interested in so I talked to an insurance agent about insuring it. I have just over 100 hours, no IR yet, no retract/HP/complex time logged. Well I fully expected the high cost estimate (premium between $5-7k, a bit higher than I expected but ok I can deal with it for the first year), but man you should've seen the shock on my face when I heard I'd likely need 40+ hours of dual in the plane before I could even fly it solo... My plan is to buy a plane to fly a ton in the next year while knocking out IR, commercial, possibly CFI, etc. but that also fits my mission a year from now which the Comanche does nearly perfectly. But that 40 hour dual requirement before solo would be a real pain in the ass to coordinate and would interfere with my plans and timing.

So my questions... Is this really the reality in the current market? I know insurance costs/requirements have been going up and I understand the high cost but from people I've talked to and reading about others in a similar position I was expecting like 10-15 dual required then a certain amount of solo hours before passengers. 40 dual seems absurd to me. Has anyone else been in a similar situation recently (like this year) with low time and insured a retractable, HP plane? What was your experience and dual requirements/costs? Trying to figure out if I'll just have to deal with this or if it'll be possible to find insurance without that high of a dual requirement.
Most people don’t go to a high-performance complex aircraft with only a 100 hours. But that seems to be the new normal with everybody wanting things right away. Typically one would buy a low performance, non-complex aircraft like a warrior or an archer and put a couple hundred hours on before you start going up in capability. I would be glad that they quoted you at all in this climate.

Appreciate everyone's input. This came from a broker, I'm trying Avemco and a few others now to see what else is out there, paying cash and going without insurance initially is another option but not sure I'm comfortable with that risk. Otherwise I'll bite the bullet with the 40 dual and just do the IR/commercial requirements in that time. Seems crazy how high the requirement is though especially given some others' experiences, 20-25 would be way more reasonable.
Yes, but I’m betting that they have more total time. I needed five hours of duel to get insured in my arrow but I had 350 hours in my book. Most of the time was in a Warrior. Plus I had my IR. Even now I’m paying $2600 a year.

IMNSHO only. do the whole 40 in your plane; you'll probably need at least that time with your CFII to get not just exam-elligible, but really sharp on instruments. If you rent, it'll be pretty expensive, and it wouldn't surprise me if the insurance people would require a certain amount of time in type. You're at an exciting point -- don't overthink it, but make the absolute most out of these hurdles in front of you. Godspeed

Maybe try different airplanes, that one in particular might have some algorithm that’s not going well for it. No point to pay high insurance and then you cannot even fly your own airplane for half a year or however long it takes to get 40 hours dual.

I did PP, then IR, then 4 hours in an Arrow to see if I liked it before buying my Mooney, they required 10 hours dual, after all that I had ~150 hours.
IR helped, so did having a hangar, my insurance was 2X the going rate.
There was a big drop once I got to 100 hours in type, so whatever you buy, try to fly a lot the first year.

I might be a bit biased but I’d push the Piper Arrow, insurance at least for me was reasonable, no additional training was needed. The airplane has the speed, sips the fuel, and allows me to log complex/retract time. Other decent options are the Cessna 182 and a Mooney.

Insurance
First year 80k hull $2699 ($500/$100 deductibles)
Open pilot IR 300/100/15
Second year 99k hull $1906 ($0 deductible)
Open pilot IR 300/25/10

I might be a bit biased but I’d push the Piper Arrow, insurance at least for me was reasonable, no additional training was needed. The airplane has the speed, sips the fuel, and allows me to log complex/retract time. Other decent options are the Cessna 182 and a Mooney.

Insurance
First year 80k hull $2699 ($500/$100 deductibles)
Open pilot IR 300/100/15
Second year 99k hull $1906 ($0 deductible)
Open pilot IR 300/25/10
I am looking at arrows too, however the Comanche wins in range, speed and useful load -- all factors for my common mission(s).

Insurance rates on retract and minimum hours is going up. Look at engine overhaul prices and the cost of a prop.

If people would stop landing gear up, it would help. :)

With 250 hrs, no IR yet, no complex or high HP, 185K hull on new to me 182RG this year cost me 6K-required 10 hours dual and 5 hours solo. 40 dual seems excessive?
If you don’t mind me asking where did you get insured through?

Back