Complex history

Dave S.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
thetexan
What year did the FARs first require a complex endorsement?

The endorsement used to be for high-performance aircraft meaning EITHER more than 200HP or controllable prop, flaps, and retractable gear. I suspect it went on the books in that form in 1973 (at least, might be older than that). In 1997, due to a lot of carping of various nitpickers about aircraft that only have one of those cases, they split it into an separate HP (>200HP) and complex endorsements. Since I logged PIC time prior to the last time the regs changed, I don't need the endorsement.

The High Altitude and Tailwheel endorsements came later 1991? They are not in my 1986 FAR copy.

The reason I ask is that I can't find a complex endorsement anywhere and I can't imagine that got missed. Here is the sequence of events...

10/10/76. Private SEL check ride
1/26/77. 200 hp endorsement
9/23/78. MEL check ride
8/28/79. SEL and MEL commercial check ride
8/29/79. Instrument check ride
9/20/79. CFI and MEI check ride
11/7/81. CFII check ride.

I don't find a complex endorsement. I can't imagine I went through 5 rides without the DEs not catching that. Did I need one? And do I need to get one now to check that square?

tex

The reason I ask is that I can't find a complex endorsement anywhere and I can't imagine that got missed. Here is the sequence of events...

10/10/76. Private SEL check ride
1/26/77. 200 hp endorsement
9/23/78. MEL check ride
8/28/79. SEL and MEL commercial check ride
8/29/79. Instrument check ride
9/20/79. CFI and MEI check ride
11/7/81. CFII check ride.

I don't find a complex endorsement. I can't imagine I went through 5 rides without the DEs not catching that. Did I need one? And do I need to get one now to check that square?

tex
Your "200 hp endorsement" also covered complex at the time.

You can currently act as PIC in complex airplanes because you logged time in them prior to the 1997 date.

Oddly enough, merely logging PIC in high performance or complex airplanes prior to 1997, even if you weren't qualified to act as PIC, qualifies you to act as PIC in those airplanes now.

I agree with MauleSkinner. Before 1997 if you had an endorsement for high performance, it covered either >200HP or complex. Once you logged PIC time in either HP or complex before 1997 (log not act), then you are "grandfathered" in without a specific endorsement for that specific form of aircraft.

Back