Complex endorsement for E-AB

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
Thinking about building a Loehle 5151 which comes with an option for retractable gear. Since this is an E-AB, do I need a complex endorsement for the RG version? With fixed gear, it is a LSA Class.

For transition training, I will get a Tailwheel endorsement as a byproduct but wondering if the complex endorsement is required.

Cheers

I think you would, but that's no big deal. Usually an hour of dual.

You would not need a complex endorsement. According to FAR 61.31, the definition of a complex aircraft is "an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller".

Having only 2 of the three eliminates the need for the sign off.

Have fun with the Loehle, its a beautiful fun plane!

You would not need a complex endorsement. According to FAR 61.31, the definition of a complex aircraft is "an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller".

If confirm that with the insurer to avoid any nasty surprises.

The 5151 only has one, the RG. That's why I was wondering. You don't need one for a plane that has flaps and a fixed pitch prop and fixed gear.

I do note the insurance company might have a different view. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Back