completely unsure what to do

U

Unregistered

While flying on VFR flight following I was cruising along like normal. I decided to cancel FF and go to advisory. "Bugs masher 22X, podunk center, radar services terminated squawk VFR freq change approved, good day"

Once I landed I realized I forgot to squawk 1200. I am filling out the NASA report now and not sure what all to include. Help please ! I got a call from a phone number in Oklahoma and didn't answer. Am I going to lose my certificate ?

-Marvin Yellowhawk

You posted unregistered, but with your name in your signature?

But I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't like they reassigned the code immediately..

I didnt want to register just for one question. You fellas seem smart so I want some knowledge from the wise ones.

Marvin

This sort of thing happens all the time and I've certainly never heard of anyone getting violated because of it. (Unless you're in the DC ADIZ). I'd be pretty surprised if the call you received was the FAA wanting to violate you because you forgot to change the code. This really reads like a troll.

If you're not a troll, file the ASRS report, and call the number back and see what they want.

I seriously doubt anyone gives a ****. I'd be pretty surprised if the call you received was them upset. This really reads like a troll.

If you're not a troll, file the ASRS report, and call the number back and see what they want.

Look Jesse, I have seen your posts on here and I respect you. I have other things to do @20:30 than to troll a few guys on a forum like this. I appreciate the advice and I am calling back in the morning to tell them my CFI Jesse said to call.

This happens all the time, it really does.. This isn't much of an issue..

Look Jesse, I have seen your posts on here and I respect you. I have other things to do @20:30 than to troll a few guys on a forum like this. I appreciate the advice and I am calling back in the morning to tell them my CFI Jesse said to call.
Feel free to tell them whatever you'd like about me. I meant nothing bad with my post but people trolling us has been an ongoing problem.

Last edited:
Was the area code Oklahoma or did the caller ID pop up say Oklahoma? If the latter it was probably a Telemarket/polling drone. Coincidence that our overlords live there.

Yeah, what was the number. Share it.

Seriously, it's not likely to be an issue, unless you did something other than you've told us so far (and that NEVER happens).

Was the area code Oklahoma or did the caller ID pop up say Oklahoma? If the latter it was probably a Telemarket/polling drone. Coincidence that our overlords live there.

You are probably right. I get nervous with phone numbers I dont know. I think I will start forwarding all my calls to Jesse because he seems to think this ish a game.

Why all the hating on Jesse? He gave you a real answer, then mildly surmised you might be a troll. That ain't a slight on the interweb. You might need to relax a bit dude.

Marvin,

As a ATP/CFI who flys for a living, this is a no-big deal, no one cares, I wouldn't even worry about a NASA report.

I've canceled IFR with the field in sight, been told to go 1200, but didnt get to it until landing as I had some other stuff to worry about, of course it's best to go 1200 ASAP but leavin the old code for a few minutes ain't going to hurt anyone or be worth anyone's times to try to bust you for...

If you did this event in Oklahoma, then you may hear from the OKC FSDO.

Otherwise, there is no connection between your flight and the phone call.

Squawking

Don't feel too bad, you are not alone. I have been "guilty" before of not switching to VFR, of which one incident was flying after my partner used the plane (and forgot to switch the transponder back to 1200). Clearly, I should have been more diligent here, but Tower or ATC has always courteously reminded me of the error, to which I have replied with my apologies and corrected the error. I don't see this as an issue for you, nor in the 5 years I've been flying, ever had an problem with anyone (including the FAA) over it. I can't comment on the need to file an incident report - but it certainly can't hurt (although I never did). It would be good to put it in your checklists and make sure to check off each item on each list when flying. No matter how smart we think we are, its easy to forget things when so much is going on. Best wishes.

Less than no big deal and not worthy of an ASRS report because its not a safety issue. The call was from a telemarketer. How would the FAA know the phone number of the pilot, or even who the pilot was, for that matter? By the way, when the FAA calls, like any business call, they leave a message.

Providing the phone number will solve this mystery.

But remember now you need to try and find a number that we can't google or spydial and get to the OKC FSDO which I suspect is not possible as any of their numbers would certainly link back to them with just a google search.

Or more than likely, you will post a reason not to post the number.

Troll Level: Post playoff party, drunk, existing POA member.

You're on the internet admitting a simple mistake and you're afraid to answer a phone call?

Marvin,

As a ATP/CFI who flys for a living, this is a no-big deal, no one cares, I wouldn't even worry about a NASA report.

I've canceled IFR with the field in sight, been told to go 1200, but didnt get to it until landing as I had some other stuff to worry about, of course it's best to go 1200 ASAP but leavin the old code for a few minutes ain't going to hurt anyone or be worth anyone's times to try to bust you for...

Thanks. This is the answer I was looking for.

Marvin Y.

The other day while waiting for takeoff a plane in front of me took off VFR and clearly had left their old code in the box. Tower called them up and asked them to check since they were not squawking 1200. Pilot punched in 1200, tower thanked them and that was it. Not that big a deal.

Now if you fly around squawking 7500 then for sure there's going to be some people that will want to have a chat!

While flying on VFR flight following I was cruising along like normal. I decided to cancel FF and go to advisory. "Bugs masher 22X, podunk center, radar services terminated squawk VFR freq change approved, good day"

Once I landed I realized I forgot to squawk 1200. I am filling out the NASA report now and not sure what all to include. Help please ! I got a call from a phone number in Oklahoma and didn't answer. Am I going to lose my certificate ?

-Marvin Yellowhawk

This is a nonevent. However, there is no harm in filing an ASRS if that makes you feel better. Just say you forgot to change code and that you promise never to forget again.

have you ever heard the expression 'don't borrow trouble?'

If no one told you to call anyone - then don't.

You are probably right. I get nervous with phone numbers I dont know. I think I will start forwarding all my calls to Jesse because he seems to think this ish a game.
This might not be a game, but you are a tool.

Forward the calls to me. I'll tell them things about you that even you don't know.

While you're throwing yourself at the mercy of the government you might as well confess to removing the 'do not remove' tag from your mattress.

Because both the FAA and the Mattress Police have SWAT teams looking for the likes of you!

Because both the FAA and the Mattress Police have SWAT teams looking for the likes of you!

Given that HHS, the post office and the Ag department all have a an armed law enforcement arm, I wouldn't be too smug about the matress tag police.

hang the towel dude. you violated one of aviation cardinal rules: always sqwak vfr when asked. file a nasa report, repent, ask ron which regs you violated and for the most current chief council opinion on the matter, turn in your certificate, and take up boating or golf.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back