Completely hooked

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
Thought I'd introduce myself to everybody as I'm new. My name's Rob and I'm a new student pilot -- logged a whopping 3 hours already. But I've been wanting to learn to fly my entire life and since I'm turning 30 soon (and because I have some additional income to finally make it possible), I recently decided to go for it and try to earn my PPL. And sweet merciful crap, this is the by far the best thing I've ever done in my life. Had my 3rd lesson today on the most ridiculously clear day in recent memory, and from the air even central California looked like a paradise. I always knew flying would be cool, but I never thought it would be THIS cool and feel so damn good to be behind the controls. I can already hear my current and future bank accounts wimpering for mercy right now, but they're out of luck: I am totally and completely hooked. :D

Yep, you're hooked. For some of us that thrill has not dissipated in multiple decades and a few thousand hours.

Welcome,
and there is no cure for this "sickness":goofy:

Welcome to our world, and the PoA. Your instructor makes all the difference. Keep us posted of your progress. There's no limit to the available answers to your questions here.

Keep the faith. Amen.

Sincerely yours,

The Church of Flight.

Rob,

Welcome to POA!!! I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Yep, you're hooked. For some of us that thrill has not dissipated in multiple decades and a few thousand hours.

.....and *AMU's :D

AMU -
A measurement of aviation
expense. 1 AMU (Aviation Monetary Unit) is equal to $1000. Using AMU's assists in disguising the actual costs of flying.

Last edited:
Welcome to your new life. I got my PPL back in February; one of the best things I've ever done.

Welcome to PoA. Have you started looking for a plane yet. :yikes:

Enjoy your training and keep the wallet open!!

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

Which airport in California are you flying out of?

I'm taking my lessons out of KEDU, the university airport at UC Davis. I'm going out of there for a couple of reasons: 1) That's where I went to undergrad; 2) The flight school Cal Aggie Flyers is a not-for-profit club which I think makes their prices pretty hard to beat ($94 an hour wet in a C172, $34 per instructor hour). So even though I live ~20 miles down the road in Sacramento, I'm saving money compared to the other schools I researched (all around $114 an hour wet for a C172, $35 per instructor hour). Btw, I'm 6'5" 210 and my instructor is not tiny so I'm pretty much locked in to a C172 for all my training, which is fine by me as a 4-seater is more along the lines of the type of plane I want to fly; 3) KEDU just seems like a great spot to train -- it's surrounded by friendly looking farm fields and agriculture, there isn't a ton of traffic to deal with (non-towered), and it has one of those shorter, more narrow runways which I figure is great to learn to on and will make it that much easier transitioning to other airports where the runways are wider and longer. At least I hope.:)

Welcome to PoA. Have you started looking for a plane yet. :yikes:

So I'm training in a Cessna 172 and I love it, but the plane I can't take my eye off of right now is the Diamond DA40. The more I read and research about it the better it sounds. So the far-off dream may be to own one of those eventually, but that's a lonnnnng ways off.

Your instructor makes all the difference.

Agreed, that does seem very important, and my instructor is awesome so far. I think we're clicking really well, we're similar in age, and he's as giddy as I am to be up there I think! I really dig his teaching style and our communication has been great. One of the first things I told him was that he doesn't need to be soft on me -- feel free to criticize and curse as much is necessary to make sure I'm learning correctly. After all, I'm paying him to make me competent and safe! But yeah, I think I got lucky on my instructor pairing.

Sounds like you've found the right spot. My only word of advice would be to fly as often as you can to get through your training in the least amount of time. And don't put off starting on the book work. The time for your check ride will come sooner than you think and you want that written out of the way. I just taught my son this past summer and he used the new ascentgroundschool.com which was fairly inexpensive and helped him prepare. I'm sure there are others.

Good luck!

Welcome! I'm at the same spot in training as you are and still have that "hooked" feeling! Good luck and keep us updated on your training.

Rob, Welcome to POA the best aviation board on the net! Sounds like you are getting some great rates for your training! Look forward to hearing about your training and addiction ( we all have it). Ask lots of quetions. By the way love your Avitar!

Welcome, Rob! I'm just getting into my solo work and I can tell you the excitement and enthusiasm only keeps growing as you progress.

Sounds like you've found the right spot. My only word of advice would be to fly as often as you can to get through your training in the least amount of time. And don't put off starting on the book work. The time for your check ride will come sooner than you think and you want that written out of the way.

This.

..and congrats, this is an experience like NO OTHER! :D

Welcome to POA.

I'm in California too - just flew cross country to Sacramento International, and during training I did my night cross country to Sacramento Executive. My long solo cross country was to Chico, and I've also flown to Rio Vista.

You have found a great website. I fly out of Petaluma - and I just got checked out in a 172. Maybe one day we can fly together.

Those are some GREAT prices. Out here, instructors range $49 - $75 per hour (I've seen less, such as you stated, but in general $50 - $60). The planes I rent are: $103 wet 152 and $121 wet 172 both older models (78 and 80).

Kimberly

Welcome here and to flying. My wife said my PPL was just like my Harley, it was cheap to get but I keep adding stuff to it. I dont regret a single thing. The people you meet at the airport are some of the greastest people you will ever meet.

Just to update folks on my training ... a bit frustrated because things were progressing nicely and then work/night-school/holidays have completely overwhelmed my schedule and left zero time for flying and flight school. I assume this is not an unusual occurrence for GA pilots everywhere. So I've sort of been stuck at the 10 hour mark for about a month now and have at least a couple weeks more to go where I won't be able to get back up in the air. I see all my private pilot books strewn about my house and glance at them longingly knowing I don't have time to read them -- the same way I look up excitedly anytime a plane is flying overhead and then realize I'm the schmuck because I'm the one not generating any lift! Honestly, I don't understand people who don't dream of flying all day long. Humans have dreamt of flying for thousands of years and yesterday (relatively speaking) we figured out how to do it. Yet 95% of the world could care less about the fact that we now know how to FLY. People are crazy!:dunno:

I had a bit of the same problem. It helped when I was able to solo unsupervised.. I would go to the airport at 6am, preflight my 152 and do a bunch of touch and go's before work.

Earning your PPL can be a long road but it does not have to be. The best advice I can give to a student is to fly regularly. The more often you can take a lesson, the less money it will cost to get your ticket - this is a fact.

Best of luck

Thought I'd introduce myself to everybody as I'm new. My name's Rob and I'm a new student pilot -- logged a whopping 3 hours already. But I've been wanting to learn to fly my entire life and since I'm turning 30 soon (and because I have some additional income to finally make it possible), I recently decided to go for it and try to earn my PPL. And sweet merciful crap, this is the by far the best thing I've ever done in my life. Had my 3rd lesson today on the most ridiculously clear day in recent memory, and from the air even central California looked like a paradise. I always knew flying would be cool, but I never thought it would be THIS cool and feel so damn good to be behind the controls. I can already hear my current and future bank accounts wimpering for mercy right now, but they're out of luck: I am totally and completely hooked. :D

Welcome Irish!

I began taking lessons at the age of 42, then life got in the way. I started again at 62.

In actuality, you are getting started at a young age with plenty of lifetime in front of you in which to fly and make the most of it.

Keep us posted and when you have questions post them here. There are some REALLY savvy and helpful instructors here that have a knack for answering complex questions in a way that makes sense. For many questions that students have, your fellow students such as myself might be able to identify with your feelings and emotions and help on that level as well.

Keep it up and we will be waiting on your solo post!

Doc

Back