Compensating a Commercial Pilot to be a Safety Pilot

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I'm having a difficult time deciphering the specifics of the following questions I have, before I take along a safety pilot with me on a flight tomorrow morning.

1) Can a pilot with a commercial rating be paid money to be a safety pilot? The short answer I found to this one via Google seemed to be "Yes", but I'd like to verify and ask if anyone has any standard rates that they pay people for this service. The commercial pilot I am taking with me is not a CFI yet, but is working towards it.

2) My insurance requires 750 TT, 150 hours complex and 10 hours in make/model. If the pilot I take up doesn't meet these requirements, do I let him only log SIC time, or once the flight is safely finished, can I allow him to log PIC as well? I guess I'm concerned that if I let him log PIC time tomorrow without him having 10 hours in make/model, and then we have an accident the next time, that my insurance will use that against me.

I did come across a few interesting links regarding safety pilot compensation, (see below), including one directly from the FAA, but I didn't see anything regarding the insurance aspect.

http://www.ifrdevelopment.com/Safety_Pilot_Interpretation_2012.pdf
https://engineering.purdue.edu/PPI/safetypilot.php

1) Can a pilot with a commercial rating be paid money to be a safety pilot? The short answer I found to this one via Google seemed to be "Yes",
That is correct. Reference 61.133(a)(1)(ii).

but I'd like to verify and ask if anyone has any standard rates that they pay people for this service. The commercial pilot I am taking with me is not a CFI yet, but is working towards it.
I know of no "standard rate" for this service.

2) My insurance requires 750 TT, 150 hours complex and 10 hours in make/model. If the pilot I take up doesn't meet these requirements, do I let him only log SIC time, or once the flight is safely finished, can I allow him to log PIC as well?
You have no say over what he logs, only what crew position he acts in. If the safety pilot you choose doesn't meet those requirements, then you cannot let that person act as PIC without voiding your insurance. After that, it's a matter between that other person and the FAA, although if that person isn't an instructor and isn't manipulating the controls, that person is not legal to log PIC time if he was not acting as PIC while you were under the hood.

I guess I'm concerned that if I let him log PIC time tomorrow without him having 10 hours in make/model, and then we have an accident the next time, that my insurance will use that against me.
You really have no say over what he logs (it's his logbook, not yours), but if he logs it as PIC time while acting as SIC, then he is breaking the rules. That, however, is the FAA's concern, not yours. Just remember to log the safety pilot's name in your own logbook, as required by 14 CFR 61.51(b)(1)(v).

Your insurance company's only concern is which of you was acting as PIC, and you'd better make sure before you start the engine that your pal understands he is SIC, and you are PIC, and that makes you, not him the final authority on the operation of the aircraft. As long as that is understood and adhered to by all parties concerned, the insurer won't care about anything else.

Last edited:
I'm having a difficult time deciphering the specifics of the following questions I have, before I take along a safety pilot with me on a flight tomorrow morning.

1) Can a pilot with a commercial rating be paid money to be a safety pilot? The short answer I found to this one via Google seemed to be "Yes", but I'd like to verify and ask if anyone has any standard rates that they pay people for this service. The commercial pilot I am taking with me is not a CFI yet, but is working towards it.

2) My insurance requires 750 TT, 150 hours complex and 10 hours in make/model. If the pilot I take up doesn't meet these requirements, do I let him only log SIC time, or once the flight is safely finished, can I allow him to log PIC as well? I guess I'm concerned that if I let him log PIC time tomorrow without him having 10 hours in make/model, and then we have an accident the next time, that my insurance will use that against me.

I did come across a few interesting links regarding safety pilot compensation, (see below), including one directly from the FAA, but I didn't see anything regarding the insurance aspect.

http://www.ifrdevelopment.com/Safety_Pilot_Interpretation_2012.pdf
https://engineering.purdue.edu/PPI/safetypilot.php

Well, a simple answer to question 2 above is you have no power to "allow" him or not "allow" him to log anything :nono: He or she may log whatever is appropriate under the circumstances in light of the regulations.

Also, remember that logging PIC has little to do with acting as PIC and even an insurance company would be able to understand that.

It is possible to not have a CFI and not manipulate the controls and still log PIC.

It is possible to not have a CFI and not manipulate the controls and still log PIC.
Yes, but since this this isn't a Part 121 or 135 operation with an ATP in command, the non-flying pilot would have to be acting as PIC while two pilots are required by the regulations. See 61.51(e)(1)(3). Since the OP's policy doesn't permit this particular safety pilot to act as PIC, that would not be possible without voiding the insurance coverage.

There is also the old "only pilot in the airplane" exception in the 1977 Beane letter, but that's not the case here.

Well played sir. I've got nothing.

Thank you for the clarifications. The flight today was great, btw...I felt really comfortable even though it's been a little while since my last Instrument lesson. It also didn't hurt that he was very complimentary of my flying, which is always nice to hear from another pilot. The main form of feedback I get these days is when my wife grades my landings.

Back