Compass rose

tom.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
I guess I never noticed how nice these are. Can you guess where I am?

Attachments

• rose pic.jpg
    rose pic.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 134
HPNFlyGirl said:
The 99's are in charge of painting those. I can't wait to paint one myself.

Better bring some friends, and lots of paint. It is huge.

Lawreston said:
Good navigating. So, where am I?
HR ;)

Pointed completely the wrong way. That is way too much snow. You need to turn almost 180 degrees, and go to full power!

Everyone knows a few smarta$$ comments are permitted on POA if they are meant in the right way, right?
:)

They just repainted the one at Double Eagle, KAEG (or so it appears). I never quite understood the usefulness of the compass rose tho...

And btw, in the second picture, you are on the taxiway, just south of runway 9.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Pointed completely the wrong way. That is way too much snow. You need to turn almost 180 degrees, and go to full power!

Everyone knows a few smarta$$ comments are permitted on POA if they are meant in the right way, right?
:)

Right!!

SkyHog said:
And btw, in the second picture, you are on the taxiway, just south of runway 9.

Actually, I was in the run-up area at Twitchell's Airport 3B5 (Turner, Maine). The runway is 12/30, and just before lift-off to the left of the compass rose is Mike Twitchell with one of his students. (And, obviously, after lift-off).
What the heck! And there's the C-150M I traded to get back my original Skyhawk. Mud season came early this year; too many 40-50 deg. days in February.

HR

Attachments

• 005_5.JPG
    005_5.JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 006_6.JPG
    006_6.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 009_9.JPG
    009_9.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 007_7.JPG
    007_7.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 21
Lawreston said:
Good navigating. So, where am I?

HR ;)

Wow, that one must've been there awhile!

tom. said:
I guess I never noticed how nice these are. Can you guess where I am?

I'd know that airport anywhere. PTK. Other end of the feild from where the picture of my Avatar was taken.

Are the flowers still on the fence off of 9L?? Probally not. : (

Missa
--It was my 99's chapter that painted that but it was before I joined. My first compass rose is at Port Huron.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
They just repainted the one at Double Eagle, KAEG (or so it appears). I never quite understood the usefulness of the compass rose tho...

:confused: How do you swing your compass then?:dunno:

Henning said:
:confused: How do you swing your compass then?:dunno:

Swing my compass?

I set my DG to the compass, taxi and check for a change, and then verify with runway heading if that's what you mean.

I fear I may have just outed a very critical lack of knowledge of mine....

SkyHog said:
Swing my compass?

I set my DG to the compass, taxi and check for a change, and then verify with runway heading if that's what you mean.

What! You don't do it with your GPS?? :rolleyes: :D

(ducks and skulks away)...

SkyHog said:
Swing my compass?

Have you noticed that little "compass deviation card" mounted somewhere on or near your compass? "Swinging the compass" is how the numbers on the card came to be.

lancefisher said:
Have you noticed that little "compass deviation card" mounted somewhere on or near your compass? "Swinging the compass" is how the numbers on the card came to be.

Of course that only works if the compass rose was laid out correctly. What is pictured is the second compass rose painted at PTK. They had to paint over the first one 'cause someone, instead of getting magnetic north surveyed, just layed out 'north'. People started using the compass rose to check instruments and the airport had to get north surveyed and the rose was repainted.

Missa

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Swing my compass?

HOw do you know if your compass is actually pointing north? I can swing my compass about +/- 10-15 degrees. North ain't necessarily north!

Missa said:
Of course that only works if the compass rose was laid out correctly. What is pictured is the second compass rose painted at PTK. They had to paint over the first one 'cause some dufus, instead of getting magnetic north surveyed, just layed out 'north'. People started using the compass rose to check instruments and the airport had to get north surveyed and the rose was repainted.

Missa

Had that happen here too. The 99s painted a beautiful rose. After the paint dried it was pointed out that the surveyor the airport hired had laid out true north. No one thought to tell him!

SkyHog said:
Swing my compass?

Just make sure you know what your actual magnetic runway heading is when you do that. The magnetic poles swing gently over time. The runway heading is _suppose_ to be to the nearest 10 degrees, but that's not always the case. At VLL the runway says 27 but it's been closer to a 28 (mag 7for a few years now and they just haven't re-numbered the runway. I 276) remember at Bad Axe I kept calling in bound for 21 until I got beam the numbers and saw it was actually 22 (at which point I relised my AFD was just a tad bit out of date, oops -> bought a new one when we landed :redface: ) Setting yourself 5 to 10 degrees off and your long cross country may end at another airfield.

Missa

Missa said:
Of course that only works if the compass rose was laid out correctly. What is pictured is the second compass rose painted at PTK. They had to paint over the first one 'cause someone, instead of getting magnetic north surveyed, just layed out 'north'. People started using the compass rose to check instruments and the airport had to get north surveyed and the rose was repainted.

Missa

Surveyors have been known to get it wrong.

I remember that a $300,000 radio station directional antenna was laid out and installed to the incorrect version of North (true vs magnetic) courtesy of a surveyor. The techincal people from the station didn't catch it, and the surveyor didn't ask. Oops. Henceforth, the engineering specifications for such antennas included detailed instructions on which to use... and required the surveyor to shoot Polaris when setting up the array.

wsuffa said:
Surveyors have been known to get it wrong.

At least that's a somewhat 'honest' mistake unlike the Homer-want-to-be walking out to the runup pad with a sharpie and drawing an arrow pointing north. DOH!

Missa

Missa said:
I'd know that airport anywhere. PTK. Other end of the feild from where the picture of my Avatar was taken.

SOMEONE TOOK MISSA'S AVATAR?!!!

Didya call "GA-secure?" :rolleyes:

Missa said:
At least that's a somewhat 'honest' mistake unlike the Homer-want-to-be walking out to the runup pad with a sharpie and drawing an arrow pointing north. DOH!

Missa

True, but a LOT more expensive....

Michael said:
west of 9R

That would be north of 9R...just slightly west.

I would give the Microsoft joke answer. "You're in an airplane."

Lawreston said:
...And there's the C-150M I traded to get back my original Skyhawk. ...
You got your wrecked Skyhawk back? DO TELL that story! I must have missed it.

Who adjusts the compass rose when magnetic north drifts? It's supposed to drift a lot faster in the future.

SkyHog said:
Swing my compass?

How do you know the compass is correct or at least what the deviation error is? That's what the compass rose is for. "Swinging the compass" is the act of correcting it best you can by lining up on the different headings on the rose and tweeking the screws with a plastic, brass or aluminum screwdriver (anything non ferrous will do) till when you go around the rose, you end up with minimum deviation throughout. Then you record the deviation on the compass error card on the front.

mikea said:
Who adjusts the compass rose when magnetic north drifts? It's supposed to drift a lot faster in the future.

The paint is long expired by the time it's time to change it.

mikea said:
The Compass Rose Deviation Calibration Department sends out a crew to swing the compass rose. Cut the pavement out to a depth of 8", re-align compass rose to magnetic north and replant the pavement.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. Please submit all requests for "The Paperless Office" publication "PO-FairyTale-33.22.2159" via Document Request DPO.2380.AG.0192830 in triplicate. Electronic submissions will not be accepted.

:D

mikea said:
You got your wrecked Skyhawk back? DO TELL that story! I must have missed it.

For those who missed "wrecked," see photo 1(March 14, 2004). No injury. I sold it to a guy(former FAA Examiner - A&P) who rebuilt it over five months. Numerous showed interest and flew - nobody put up the fund$. May of 2005 I bought a C-150M(Photo 3). By December 2005 the Skyhawk hadn't been sold(Photo 2 is from April 2005)......................so I traded the 150M for my original plane(with one new wing; one wing repaired with new parts; new front windscreen; new side windscreens; new prop; new spinner; new crankshaft and coincident Major OverHaul to Zero-time SMOH. I've since panel-mounted Garmin GPSmap296 and Power flow Systems tuned exhaust; and the Skyhawk's new home will be in the recently-purchased(end unit A-1) Photo 4. (I should have stayed in photography; it's a cheaper hobby). :eek:))))

HR

Attachments

• N7872G on March 14.jpg
    N7872G on March 14.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 21
  • N66148#4May1505.jpg
    N66148#4May1505.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 15
  • N7872G 041005 12A.jpg
    N7872G 041005 12A.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 014_14.JPG
    014_14.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 16
The last time I used a compass rose was at LAX and the 707 was still flying. Haven't seen one since.
Ron

gkainz said:
The Compass Rose Deviation Calibration Department sends out a crew to swing the compass rose. Cut the pavement out to a depth of 8", re-align compass rose to magnetic north and replant the pavement.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. Please submit all requests for "The Paperless Office" publication "PO-FairyTale-33.22.2159" via Document Request DPO.2380.AG.0192830 in triplicate. Electronic submissions will not be accepted.

Compass Rose Deviation Calibration Department NPRM:
All compass roses shall be replaced with new compass roses installed on large lazy susans capable of carrying the rose plus maximum weight of the largest aircraft capable of using the airport based on the runway's design load. Each compass rose shall be driven by a high precision circular gearing, motor and position detection system. Dual redundant electronic magnetic direction finding equipment shall constantly keep the rose pointed to actual magnetic north.

gkainz said:

:D

Thanks Greg, I thought they just moved the runway.:rofl:

Back