Comparo - Turbo Arrow vs Turbo 182RG

Blatham489

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Latham
I know they're not exactly apples to apples but I'm curious to get feedback on either of these planes from actual owners/frequent renters. Either would fulfill my typical mission just fine. I'm mainly curious what real world TAS and fuel burn you're seeing, some of the specs on the Turbo Arrow look a bit optimistic.

With no budget limit, I'd probably go for the T182, but the initial purchase price is a little bit of a stretch for me. Any real world info appreciated.

(Yes, I searched first)

My first flying job was in a turbo arrow 4, I liked it. Think I would do upper 140kt range.

My experience with wobble gear cessnas is limited, I'm not a fan

About 15 years ago I frequently rented both a Turbo Arrow IV and a NA 182RG. The Cessna seemed a lot bigger inside and I thought it handled better. Surprisingly (if I recall correctly) the useful loads were actually pretty similar. I enjoyed flying them both, though.

As a renter, I couldn't tell you which was cheaper to operate, but looking at Controller today - it seems like the Piper is quite a bit cheaper to purchase.

I would go with the turbo 182 rg ,burns a little more fuel. Better handling and longer legs.

Friends don't let friends buy a TSIO-360, let alone one running behind a fixed waste gate! 6 conti jugs for 200hp is for the birds...

Turbo 182RG all the way. Two things it's got over the arrow: 1) a lycoming engine, 2) it's normalized, not charged.

And I own a NA Arrow mind you. Now, if you could find a TN Lyco driven arrow, well that would be a whole 'nother story. :D

Yes, the price delta is not inconsequential. I'm no fan of cessna cult pricing, which is why I've stayed on piper land so far. Good luck to ya. If turbo is not a requisite perhaps a big bore NA engine would suit your needs, say an NA 182RG or PA-24.

Oh yeah! a PA24 all day

Nice simple plane, great wing, good amount of space and pick your flavor

You want economy, get a 180hp, she'll darn near hold her own against a turbo arrow.

You want some more, get the 260

Not happy yet, get the 400 8 cylinder beast

Plenty of speed mods and tip tanks too for range.

Quite a few records and been set in the Commanchie.

Good looking plane to boot :yes:

Actually they are an interesting comparison since they achieve the same result, a turbo'd 4 seat cruiser, in almost diametrically opposed fashion. Low wing/High Wing, Turbo Charged/Turbo Normalized, high stress small engine/low stress big engine, Fixed wastegate/Full balance wastegate, Freefall gear/pump down gear.

The 182 will use more fuel and carry more load, neither factor that great to be significant unless you operate on a fringe of weight or operating cost requirements.

I've owned a TA III for a few years. It's a great plane, good range and efficient, but the TSIO 360 engine is maintenance intensive. Ask yourself how much you really need the turbo. The Lycoming IO 360 on a regular Arrow is pretty bulletproof. If you're going to fly a lot above 10K then the turbo will make a difference. Lower not so much.

If short runways and/or obstacles are in your future, then the R182 is your choice. That said, a Turbo Arrow IV sure took the sweat out of a warm-day departure for me and my family at Cortez CO one day, when the runway was closed for paving and the shorter parallel taxiway was being used instead ...

I'm assuming you're looking for a turbo 182 RG. I own an na R182 but I do have about 10 hours in a TR182. I prefer mine. Maybe because it's mine, it's rigged well and the avionics are better than the turbo I flew. I didn't notice enough difference in the turbo to justify the fuel burn. It would be nice to go to flagstaff with a load in the summer, but other than that I'm pretty content with my bird. My fuel burn is pretty great, 11-12gph at 155ish true. I crossed Lake Michigan at 17k last month and she was still climbing pretty well, 400fpm or so decently loaded. Yes the turbo would be nice (and the one I flew had built in oxygen) but the na was fine.

I also have a lot of time in pipers but not an arrow. They're small inside. Really small. One door stinks. If I owned one I'd fly it from the right seat just so I had the door. I don't like not physically seeing the gear. I do like the way they look slightly better.

Back