Commute by Plane (the long version)

If you have a TN bo, don't loaf at 180 kts. Go higher and add 20.

If you have a TN bo, don't loaf at 180 kts. Go higher and add 20.

Indeed, TAT quotes 196 KTAS @ 15.1 gph FL220.
Since for me currently this is an academic discussion I thought 180 KTAS @ 14.5 FL125 looked better for a couple reasons.

1) 180 KTAS made the discussed trip in a leg I feel I could do nonstop with no PAX.
2) I have no experience sucking O2 in a non pressurized plane. I've been suba diving a few time, relevant or no?
3) with family along the lack of O2 experience is multiplied, what has been your experience with children < 5 yr old on O2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I didn't take the time to quote it, the idea to look at the TN A36 came from a couple posts in this thread. Admittedly I am writing from a place of relative ignorance and I appreciate everyone's guidance and advice.

My 3 kids weigh a combined 125 lbs soaking wet. My wife and I together are 350 lbs and I'm nearly 2/3 of that. So is a twin in our future when my boys are 175+ each? I think I get that picture. What I'm trying to say / ask is it looks like I may have found a plane that could support my dual mission for the next 5+ years, so what do you think?

Sure, a 5 year plane is good, you can see then how often you have the whole family in the plane when the boys are old enough to be 175 a piece and go from there.

Since for me currently this is an academic discussion I thought 180 KTAS @ 14.5 FL125 looked better for a couple reasons.k

Time of useful consciousness uf you pinch an O2 tube at FL220 is 4min or shorter. Dontcount on it as a regular travel altitude. 14-17k is more realistic.

My wife and I together are 350 lbs and I'm nearly 2/3 of that.

Now you have just published your wife's exact weight on the interwebs. You may need to split the plane in half before you buy it. :D

Now you have just published your wife's exact weight on the interwebs. You may need to split the plane in half before you buy it. :D

Thus the "nearly"

Since for me currently this is an academic discussion I thought 180 KTAS @ 14.5 FL125 looked better for a couple reasons.

1) 180 KTAS made the discussed trip in a leg I feel I could do nonstop with no PAX.
2) I have no experience sucking O2 in a non pressurized plane. I've been suba diving a few time, relevant or no?
3) with family along the lack of O2 experience is multiplied, what has been your experience with children < 5 yr old on O2?

My experience is that most people don't like O2, and if you go over 16k' I suggest you use a mask with a microphone. SCUBA gear is relevant in that you can make an excellent demand flow system with it that delivers at positive pressure if you ever want to go really high. If you ever need a cheap space suit you can take a Dry Suit and bind it in and pressurize it as well. Use a Kirby Morgan SL-27 with the weights stripped off for a helmet.

I've been looking into the TN A36 and if i'm reading this right it's pretty impressive.

180 kt @ 14.6 gph FL125 does the trip from PHX to MKC in just over 5 hours on ~80 gals of fuel. Bird has 6 seats with 1600 useful load and would make my most common family trip from PHX to FAT seem like getting take out.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1782437.html

It is a dream... and now I want to make it a reality!

A very nice plane!!

Back