Commonly flown aircraft....

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
I was at a Ninety-Nines luncheon last week, and we were talking about our latest experience in the Bonanza on the field. Many around the table had either currently/previously owned, or flown one during their flying times, and one person said, "Everybody flies a Bonanza at some point."

Which got me thinking about two questions........

Question 1: What do you think are the top 2 or 3 aircraft that just about every pilot has spent, or will spend, time flying during their flying career at some point? I'm not talking about the type of plane you trained in for your initial certificate ( a vested interest in sticking with one type of plane at that point) nor do I count planes flown professionally (since generally you're not selecting the plane to fly, the company is.) It's once you have your private (or light sport, or recreational) certificate, and you have a choice..... what will everyone get around to, sooner or later?

Question 2: what's the most fun aircraft you've flown? You can define 'fun' any way you like; capabilities, coolness/'wow' factor, whatever applies.

I'll start:
1 - I think everyone flies a Cessna 182 at some point
2 - Most fun flown; 0.1 hours as PIC in a Pilatus PC-12 - definitely the coolness factor, not to mention being my dream plane :D

Others?

Leslie

Leslie, I think everyone flies a 172 at some point. the 182 and the Cherokee 235 series are directly competitive and a lot of folks have never experienced C182, particularly the ones "adherent" to the PA28 line (of which I am completely neutral).

But I love having a pilot side door :)

Bruce - good observations - I'm sure the high/low wing, Cessna/Piper/Beech/Other contingents will all weigh in; as long as you're flying, it's all good :)

But you didn't answer the second question: most 'fun' aircraft flown??

I think the 172 and PA28 are the only planes that you can say everyone flies after getting their ticket.

The Stearman is the most fun I've ever has in an airplane. I will own one someday.

The answer is simple, there are very few aircraft models to choose from in any category of capability. The ones that do the job best/most economically tent to take over the market. The Bonanza is the best of breed of the high performance SE planes. It's the most ruggedly built, the nicest flying, and performs well on the fuel used.

I agree with the 172 and PA28 comments from above. Those are about all the aircraft types we see at my airport. A few Mooneys every so often.

Most fun: Cessna 210T Centurion. I have gotten to fly it in the Flight Levels. :yes: I might even be taking over my friends job as the corporate pilot.

I have never flown a 172. I rode in the back seat of what probably was a 172 when I was about ten. But I've never sat up front.

I did fly a Cherokee 140 once. It's in my logbook. But I have absolutely no recollection of the actual flight other than my instructor thinking it would be a good idea for some reason.

150/152s - I've flown several.

Everything else has been somewhat less common - Cessna 120, Thorp T-18, Pitts, Champ, Citabria, Merlin GT, Beech Sport, Taylorcraft. And a couple Navions (as a kid - never did a landing).

I think the 172 and PA28 are the only planes that you can say everyone flies after getting their ticket.

+1

Especially when one notes how cheap pilots claim to be,
There MUST be a contingent who never upgrades beyond the basic 4-seat "puddle jumper"

((wasn't that term used earlier by someone?))

+1

Especially when one notes how cheap pilots claim to be,
There MUST be a contingent who never upgrades beyond the basic 4-seat "puddle jumper"

((wasn't that term used earlier by someone?))

There is most definitely a contingent that never goes beyond the basic trainer aircraft.

I have 80ish hours in PA-28's (95% 161, some 181), and 1 hour in a 172. Then of course 100 hours in my R182.

Well, I bought a Cherokee 140 and thoroughly enjoy flying it. 97% of my flight time has been logged in some type of P28.

The most fun I have had was in a Stearman.

1. 152/172 would cover probably 90% of the pilot population as far as who has flown one at some point.

2. T-28 was really fun to fly.

I'm guessing the most commonly flown aircraft is a C-172.

The aircraft I thought was the most fun was a Pitts.

For low time guys

#1) the infamous 172

#2) 150/152

#3) PA28s

Once they get their license and a little time/money/friends with money

#1) 182

#2) Bo

#3) RV

#4) Mooney

I've never flown a Bonanza, C-172, C-182, or a Piper Cub. :sad:

I have flown a C-177 though.

The most interesting planes where I have sat in the front seat are a DeHavilland DHC-2, or a Beech B55.

Most common: C-172 / PA-28 have to be in more logbooks than any other

Most fun: T-6 Texan...history oozed from its rivets.

Most desired Piston Single: Bo A36

Personal Airliner: TBM-850

When I was going through training, pretty much everyone had at least some time in a C-150. Same is probably true now of the C-172 (even USAF pilots nearly all got some time at Hondo in the T-41). I really can't think of any other type in which almost every pilot is likely to have some time. While the PA-28 series and C-182 are indeed popular, I doubt the majority of pilots all have time in them.

Most fun? Tossup between F-4 and F-16 -- not enough F-16 time (maybe three or four hops) to be sure. On the civilian side, probably an O-320 STC'd AA-1 Yankee (original slick wing), although I did have one ride in an Extra 300, which if I'd flown it a few more times might supplant the Super Yankee.

Last edited:
60hrs in C150
2hrs C152
1hr C172.
170hrs PA-28 150
60hrs N35 Bonanza
2hrs G650 :)

Never flown in a 150/152, haven't been PIC in a 172, and I've never so much as sat in anything made by Piper. I got to bum a ride in the right seat of a Bonanza, though, and that was loads of fun.

I'd vote on the 172 as the most commonly flown, I still have one as a fun flyer and for stuff the 310 doesn't make sense for.

As far as most fun that I've flown, hands down, the HH3F. Plenty of power and built like an anvil.

Recently I've been doing some CFIing in a AA-1, I think if more folks knew about the grummans they wouldnt want to fly a Cessna or Piper after the first flight in the Grumman.

1) I think everyone will fly either a PA28 or 172 at some point.

2) Most fun, hmmm for me it's a three way toss up between a Chipmunk, RV6 and the acro I did in Diana's Citabria.

My 182 time topped all other aircraft this year overall in my logbook, but there may be a reason for that. ;)

Recently I've been doing some CFIing in a AA-1, I think if more folks knew about the grummans they wouldnt want to fly a Cessna or Piper after the first flight in the Grumman.

I agree. I'm training in a Cherokee 180, but I can't get the Grumman Tiger I went up in out of my mind. I think it's too much plane for me just yet, so I'll be patient while I train.

The Stearman is the most fun I've ever has in an airplane. I will own one someday.

The P-51 is the most fun I've never had in an airplane. I will not own one someday.

Dan

Small Cessnas first and small Pipers second in commonality.

For fun, it depends on what one wants to do. Primarily, I want maximum regional versatility for the Pacific NW and so don't like an aircraft's speedy airfoil or landing gear to limit where I can operate out of with it, especially from off-airport landing sites. Since nothing could be purchased or much less rented to accomplish the tasks, went with a high lift, folding high wing, custom built turbo-intercooled STOL amphib with big tundra tires on snow/ice capable inflated floats.

I'd guess the 150/2 for most commonality, most fun was was the BE-18 on floats.

The most fun airplanes I've ever flown are sitting in my hangar :) A J-3 and a Pitts S-1S...IMO more fun than S-2's. The Cub's not mine, but I fly it quite a bit. Other planes I've had fun in - Waco YPF-7, T-6, Stearman, BT-13, RV-3/4/6/8, Champ, Super Cub (wheels and floats), Citabria, Super Decathlon, Pitts S-2B/C, and 20 hrs of spam trike time in a 150. The J-3 and S-1S still can't be beat for pure fun. :)

I was at a Ninety-Nines luncheon last week, and we were talking about our latest experience in the Bonanza on the field. Many around the table had either currently/previously owned, or flown one during their flying times, and one person said, "Everybody flies a Bonanza at some point."

Which got me thinking about two questions........

Question 1: What do you think are the top 2 or 3 aircraft that just about every pilot has spent, or will spend, time flying during their flying career at some point? I'm not talking about the type of plane you trained in for your initial certificate ( a vested interest in sticking with one type of plane at that point) nor do I count planes flown professionally (since generally you're not selecting the plane to fly, the company is.) It's once you have your private (or light sport, or recreational) certificate, and you have a choice..... what will everyone get around to, sooner or later?

Question 2: what's the most fun aircraft you've flown? You can define 'fun' any way you like; capabilities, coolness/'wow' factor, whatever applies.

I'll start:
1 - I think everyone flies a Cessna 182 at some point
2 - Most fun flown; 0.1 hours as PIC in a Pilatus PC-12 - definitely the coolness factor, not to mention being my dream plane :D

Others?

Leslie

Leslie,

I think the heros of avation are the untold Cessna 150/172's and Cherokees. More pilots owe their flying to them than all others put together. Not only are they great trainers but they are tame family transportation for the average family of 2 adults and 2 children.

I think the best plane is the Bellagio Avanti II at 400 knots, size of a King air 350 and same fuel burn but faster speed.

The best plane that I might own is a Meridian or Turboprop Matrix/Malibu.

The best plane I have flown for a host of reasons is both the Comanche 250 Turbo and the Cherokee 6 for realistic family hauling.

I have flown a few Bonanzi but they are terribly ugly inside. I vote the Bonanza as the worst panel in aviation since the Korean war. Literally feel like flying in a WWII bird with their ugly yoke, ugly panel. Their front seats fixed too close to the controls so difficult if not impossible for larger folks.

I'd venture a guess that most pilots of twins have flown a Piper Apache at some point.
I never flew any Piper Twins. Now that I think of it the two piston twins I flew are somewhat unusual, a Duchess and a Cessna 320.

I'd venture a guess that most pilots of twins have flown a Piper Apache at some point.
Yep. Got my multi in this very one, as a matter of fact. It was faded and dull, though, by the time I got my hands on it in 1971:

N4374P_05.jpg

I guess I'm truly Mr. Generic then based on the responses so far because I've only ever flown Cessna's with 100 hours in a 172 and about 4 in a 152. I'd love to branch out and try other planes but the flight clubs at the local airport almost exclusively have 172's to rent. The availability of the 172 and 152 probably make them the most popular.

Probably the most fun airplane that I have access to is a Citabria, although having never flown it yet who knows how much fun it will really be.

Last edited:
Most common has got to be 172/150. Most fun? Haven't flown enough different planes yet. :dunno:

I have 65 hours in a 172 and 1.3 in a Cheetah.

I agree. I'm training in a Cherokee 180, but I can't get the Grumman Tiger I went up in out of my mind. I think it's too much plane for me just yet, so I'll be patient while I train.

That's why I bought into the Cheetah partnership. I suspect my Cheetah time will surpass my 172 time sometime next summer. :D

Back