Commercial Training

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
I started my commercial training back in the fall with the expectation of finishing by the holidays. Well, projects intensified at work, then the holidays came along, then I thought I should spend some time studying for the written test before spending more $$$ on airplanes, then it was time for a vacation - so my wife and I went out of town for a couple weeks. (Excuses excuses...)

Well, I took the written a few weeks ago (passed with a 98%). Now I'm dedicated to getting the check ride completed by mid-march.

Now to the real point of this thread---Back in the fall when I initially started my commercial training, I had just spent the previous year flying everywhere IFR. When I wasn't flying trips myself, I was acting as safety pilot for a buddy working on his IR. Well, after all that "eyes on the guages," I had a tough time transitioning back to the outside world. My Lazy 8s and Chandelles were less than ideal. I started doing some research on how to do the maneuvers better. Several people told me to get off the instruments, visualize the maneuver, then point the nose where I wanted it to go. I spent the past couple non-flying months trying to visualize how the maneuvers should look outside the window. Well, I got back in the air this morning, and did just that, and WOW, what a difference!!! I felt like I could have done these maneuvers for hours today...they are much more fun when done accurately.

Anyways, I just wanted to pass along some advice that greatly helped me. For those that may be transitioning to commercial right after instruments...get your eyes back outside, and forget those instruments for awhile. Some folks said I should even cover the instruments to force my eyes outside...that may be a bit extreme, but if that's what it takes, go for it.

I felt the same way at the beginning of my commercial. Once you get you head out of the plane it goes so much better. It is a good course to take after instrument to recapture those visual skills once again.

I had the same transition problems. Even now, it's hard to focus on a distant point. Many times, I'll look over the cowling, out the side and about three or four times during the maneuver, glance back at the DG. I'll use it only to verify my point in a lazy eight or chandelle. Those are really the only one's I've had issues with. But, once I got past the desire to keep my eyes on instruments, they improved dramatically. Heck, blocking my view of instruments brought about my best performance. Go figure!

Same thing here. Altitude doesn't matter with Chandelles. Lazy 8's - I just take a glance at the altimeter at the 180º points. If you've got the plane trimmed out just right on a lazy 8, you pretty much just tell the plane what to do for the first 90º, and just help it along for the next 270º. Near the end of my commercial training, I was barely touching the yoke after the initial roll.

I did my commercial on the heels of my IR. I experienced the same thing. It was very difficult to come off the gauges. Like our esteemed Mr. Frederick, once I learned to trim and trust things the maneuvers just feel into place. I really loved Chandelles. Lazy 8's weren't fun, but I could do them. 8's on Pylons were kind of cool. Power-off precision landing was always visual for me.

Confession: I had to steal peeks at the gauges while on my checkride. I trusted them. Especially on steep turns.

Ed: What happens at 5000hrs ?

Ed: What happens at 5000hrs ?

I dunno. You'll have to ask the guys that constantly say anyone with less than 5000 hours shouldn't be teaching. I guess I reach some sort of magic enlightenment or something. Maybe there's a pebble I have to grab or something.

I had the same issue, and I flew for two hours with all the instruments covered up, which cured my gauge fixation.

Somewhere along the line, I "got it" and now pretty much do the VR/IR thing automatically.

I dunno. You'll have to ask the guys that constantly say anyone with less than 5000 hours shouldn't be teaching. I guess I reach some sort of magic enlightenment or something. Maybe there's a pebble I have to grab or something.

To quote the movie My Cousin Vinny, "Everything that guy just said is bull****... Thank you." :)

Good luck, grasshopper.

I think everyone struggles going back visually after long periods under the hood. I did too.

Would these be the same guys who dont think CFI's should be able to log PIC?

Would these be the same guys who dont think CFI's should be able to log PIC?

Actually, I don't think CFI's should be able to log PIC - at least not usable towards another rating.

Actually, I don't think CFI's should be able to log PIC - at least not usable towards another rating.

yea, i know.

and it seems most of the crowd that thinks time requirements for the CFI certificate need to be higher think the same.

I think everyone struggles going back visually after long periods under the hood. I did too.

My first VFR flight after IR checkride was pretty decent, but it took a while until I could fly a decent pattern again.

yea, i know.

and it seems most of the crowd that thinks time requirements for the CFI certificate need to be higher think the same.

Really it depends. There are some people who couldn't teach a baby how to fill its diaper, even with thousands of hours. Then there are some people who are just natural teachers. Just because you know the stuff doesn't mean you can teach it. For me the whole key to instruction is finding something that your student already knows very well, and relate the flying to that. With my dad, I have to relate flying to fishing. How the heck do I do that, you ask. I'm that damn good. :rofl:

Really it depends. There are some people who couldn't teach a baby how to fill its diaper, even with thousands of hours. Then there are some people who are just natural teachers. Just because you know the stuff doesn't mean you can teach it. For me the whole key to instruction is finding something that your student already knows very well, and relate the flying to that. With my dad, I have to relate flying to fishing. How the heck do I do that, you ask. I'm that damn good. :rofl:
Interesting comment, since your profile line says you are worthless as a CFI until 5000 hours.;)

Ahh - I'm glad that it is not just me that's tired of the "good" pilots getting on us "low timers" about being skilled, because they have those magic thousands of hours that suddenly taught them to be great.

No experience necessary, just look for the hours.

Back