Commercial Training - Thanks

Flyparrothead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyparrothead
I am nearing the completion of my commercial license and I just wanted to extend a thank you to all of the threads I have read on here about training and checkride tips. Here in NC, the weather hasn't been cooperating too much with us lately, but it is finally starting to clear up. From what I have read on here, and talking to other friends, it looks like the CFI will be the big challenge. Looking forward to meeting the challenge....

Thanks again everyone. :smile:

Go get 'em, and report back!

So yesterday, I finished all of the new maneuvers for the commercial license. The eights on pylon was the last new maneuver I learned and can tell this is probably going to be the hardest one. Maybe other people can give me some insight into what they think was / is the toughest for the commercial ride.

On a side note, the final landing I did yesterday, a short field landing, was so smooth, neither one of us heard nor felt the landing gear touch down. By far the smoothest landing I have ever done.

So yesterday, I finished all of the new maneuvers for the commercial license. The eights on pylon was the last new maneuver I learned and can tell this is probably going to be the hardest one. Maybe other people can give me some insight into what they think was / is the toughest for the commercial ride.

YW!

IMHO, the easiest was Chandelles, middle was Lazy Eights, and hardest was Eights on Pylons. I think the steep turns, steep spirals, and power-off 180 were easy like the Chandelles too, for the most part - And fun to practice!

One little tip for 8OP: Make sure to not only pick a spot with good pylons, make sure you're in a spot where you'll have an easy landing should your engine magically fail at the conclusion of the maneuver. Nothing like an engine failure over a semi-difficult-to-land area when you're already down at 600 AGL! :hairraise:

I thought the Lazy eights were the easiest followed by chandelles, then the eights on pylons, lastly the power off 180 to a precision landing was my biggest challenge.

When the check ride came the oral exam was pretty challenging. But I had been studying my butt off and did ok. The DPE really liked my answer to the question "what can commercial pilots do that private pilots cannot?" He stated that most of the applicants go on a long discussion of all the different types of mission and jobs that are open to commercial pilots but that my answer was the most accurate he had heard in a long time. My answer was 'get paid to fly'.

I did do my check ride all in one airplane which I think is a better option than switching in the middle ride like some do YMMV.

When the check ride came the oral exam was pretty challenging. But I had been studying my butt off and did ok. The DPE really liked my answer to the question "what can commercial pilots do that private pilots cannot?" He stated that most of the applicants go on a long discussion of all the different types of mission and jobs that are open to commercial pilots but that my answer was the most accurate he had heard in a long time. My answer was 'get paid to fly'.

That is a great answer. I went off on a rant last week to my CFI when he asked me the same question. I will have to remember this...

Back