Commercial Training Plane Question

Mizzou93

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mizxou93
I'm about to start my commercial training and I'm planning on doing most of it in a 172 and switching to a complex plane for just a portion of the checkride. There is a flight school about 45 minutes away that has a 172RG which I think would be a perfect plane to use for the complex portion. I should have added above that the overwhelming portion of my time is in 172's with a little 172RG time so I would feel very comfortable in the airplane. There is also a flight school that is literally around the corner from my business (I own a non aviation related business that just happens to be located on the grounds of an airport in an industrial building). It is obviously super easy to get to and I'd really prefer to do my training there but the only complex airplane they have is a Turbo Saratoga. They have a nice fleet of newer 172's for training and I'd love to fly those but I am thinking that a Turbo Saratoga is too much airplane or too much of a difference from the 172 to really be the best choice for the commercial training. Also, I don't want to do ALL the training in the Saratoga because of the cost. I also plan to start my CFI training immediately after the commercial so I would continue to be using a complex airplane for that as well. I wanted to see what others thought about the Saratoga for the Commercial and CFI. I haven't flown one and don't have much Piper time. I'm just worried that it's not the best choice and that it's too much airplane. Please let me know your thoughts.

You would be money and time ahead by driving the 45 minutes to the school with the 172 and Cutlass. The Saratoga is a lot of airplane to do that kind of training in, IMO.

Are you in COU or JEF?

You would be money and time ahead by driving the 45 minutes to the school with the 172 and Cutlass. The Saratoga is a lot of airplane to do that kind of training in, IMO.

Are you in COU or JEF?

Did most of my private training at COU years ago. Been to JEF quite a bit. Actually took my private check ride there. In St. Louis now.

Not sure how much complex time you have, but if you don't have much just do it all in he cheapest complex you can find.

If also recommend doing your check ride in one plane, easier to get a feel for one, less logs to bring, etc etc

Not sure how much complex time you have, but if you don't have much just do it all in he cheapest complex you can find.

If also recommend doing your check ride in one plane, easier to get a feel for one, less logs to bring, etc etc
But YMMV. I did both my commercial and my Initial CFI in 2 airplanes. It was a non issue.

I did my CPC in a Lance, and Instrument in a C182. Forget but may have done some commercial maneuvers in the 182 but mostly used the 182 for instrument. Check ride for both done on the same day.

Last edited:
Unless you think you may want to rent the Saratoga someday because you want to do some faster cross country flying or want the load capability I'd drive the 45 minutes and do the Gutless Cutlass. You'll be money ahead. There may be some insurance issues to. I doubt if they are going to let you fly the Saratoga as PIC until you have a whole lot more hours than you need to get the Commercial ticket

Last edited:
Unless you think you may want to rent the Saratoga someday because you want to do some faster cross country flying or want the load capability I'd drive the 45 minutes and do the Gutless Cutlass. You'll be money ahead. There may be some insurance issues to. I doubt if they are going to let you fly the Saratoga as PIC until you have a whole lot more hours than you need to get the Commercial ticket
I was thinking the same thing about the insurance and total time. I only have about 300 hours. I’m stopping by the flight school Monday to get some more info. They just bought the Saratoga and don’t even have it available yet. I can’t see it working for the commercial honestly.

Back