Commercial Restriction of 50nm...

Congrats!
Well done!!

Wooooooooooooooo!

Nicely done. Now go earn back some of the money you dumped into that beat up old airplane! :)

Clearly you have posted about this in the past but just curious why you went for cpl before IR?

Clearly you have posted about this in the past but just curious why you went for cpl before IR?
1) I was a poor college kid and couldn't afford a "big" rating
2) I was a poor college kid and couldn't afford to maintain IR Currency
3) I thought I would actually use my commercial for skydiving or some other such job (never happened)
4) If you have to pick instrument or commercial, commercial looks better on a resume
5) At the time complex planes were required for the commercial. I knew I'd be buying a non-complex plane so I'd have to rent for the commercial anyway, but would be able to do the IR in my own plane. Now that the rules are different (and I had no way of knowing they would change) this reason is invalidated.
6) I would have done my IR training in CO which sucks for IMC; the clouds are either thunderstorms or have icing. I since moved to WI where I got over 5 hours of actual IMC during my training.

Last edited:
Side note, do I need to tell my insurance, or should I just wait until it's renewal time?

By the way @Mtns2Skies I wondered similar and whether my ratings would change rates and such as I got them. Nope. Hours in type count more toward it than anything, which tells us all something. Ha. The actuaries know the real loss numbers. Once my co owners and I went above some magic number of hours in type a while back, rates plummeted.

By the way @Mtns2Skies I wondered similar and whether my ratings would change rates and such as I got them. Nope. Hours in type count more toward it than anything, which tells us all something. Ha. The actuaries know the real loss numbers. Once my co owners and I went above some magic number of hours in type a while back, rates plummeted.
Ugh I was really hoping that IR would knock a bit off insurance, I'd always heard that would be the case.

Ugh I was really hoping that IR would knock a bit off insurance, I'd always heard that would be the case.

It might. But our real drop was 300 in type for all of us. That knocked $400 a year off. I think that’s when it was anyway.

I just remember us all wondering if we got misquoted haha. We knew it couldn’t be ratings because we have always had one Private non-instrument co owner.

It had no effect in my case... hours, and especially hours in make and model, appear to be the most important factor.

CONGRATS!!! A job well done!

I had to carry a second card for all the limitations on my pilot certificate at the time, so, yes.

Haha doing my ratings backward from Private to Multi-Commercial ME, then back into the SE... for a while there I had one one of those massive limitations lines on the back, because I could fly Commercial in the ME including the instrument, but SE was Private plus IR.

The cards got weird for a while there.

And I added the AGI and IGI card also, so even when I got “all done” (well, close... didn’t get the Instrument Instructor done before the medical garbage hit, I’ve got three separate cards.

Almost did the remotely piloted vehicle thing just to have four hahaha. It’s kinda silly. :)

Haha doing my ratings backward from Private to Multi-Commercial ME, then back into the SE... for a while there I had one one of those massive limitations lines on the back, because I could fly Commercial in the ME including the instrument, but SE was Private plus IR.

And I added the AGI and IGI card also, so even when I got “all done” (well, close... didn’t get the Instrument Instructor done before the medical garbage hit, I’ve got three separate cards.

Almost did the remotely piloted vehicle thing just to have four hahaha. It’s kinda silly. :)
I’ve got the same four...the two cards for the Commercial was because of the VFR Commercial Limitations plus Private Glider privileges, which also had the Aero Tow Only limitation (which doesn’t exist as a limitation on certificates anymore.

Yeah I'm definitely glad I have the rating now. Really giving it a good workout. Shot two approaches to minimums last weekend. Nothing heroic, VOR approach and ILS Circle-to-land, so plenty of room still if I needed to do an ILS. It was turbulent and in IMC the whole time, but definitely fun! IMG_20190922_150255.jpg

Probably would have, except you're tailwheel. Cancels it out.

I’m pretty sure they give a lot of weight to the instrument rating. Inadvertent IMC by VFR pilots accounts for a lot of the zeros they write on a lot of checks. The commercial rating I don’t think makes much difference to them.

I have the UAS card so I can pass it around to the kids when I teach Young Eagle ground school.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/08/cessna-u206f-stationair-6-n5364q-fatal.html

There was one news report, that I can't find now, that the FAA said they had previously warned the pilot of this accident about exceeding 50 NM without an instrument ticket.

Note: It appears there was a lot of backlash about that article painting the local "hero" in a negative light, and the tv channel that carried deleted the story.

Back